• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    C&R Book?

Unless you screw badly up they likely never will.

I had a C&R for ages before I went into business and the only correspondence I ever got was renewal notices asking for money.

If they had to see it, I suppose the method of contact would depend on the urgency of the situation.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    well firstly, BANG, BANG, BANG (on front door), (insert authority, IE "ATF-OPEN UP!!!") yelled at the top of the lungs, full SWAT gear, AR's at the ready... :omg:

it's 2:30am, kids asleep, dawg is finally down and the spouse is snoring soothingly. "BANG, BANG, BANG, ATF--OPEN UP NOW!" :rant:

"Sir if you can't control your dog, we WILL," Pop-pop, yipes, whimper-whimper-final sigh. :gun3:

"Now sir, show us your book, please!" :tap:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    scenesmtc.jpg

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    Seriously, C&R holders are eligible for bound book inspection once a year. Who here has been inspected? How did you get the notification?

I've had my license for a few months now.
    I don't expect an audit anytime soon, but I don't want to accidentally throw out a letter from the ATF with my junk mail and then get stormed like some of the above posts!

Seriously, C&R holders are eligible for bound book inspection once a year. Who here has been inspected? How did you get the notification?

I've had my license for a few months now.
    I don't expect an audit anytime soon, but I don't want to accidentally throw out a letter from the ATF with my junk mail and then get stormed like some of the above posts!

I've heard it's random, like jury duty. So if you're unlucky it could be every year.

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    From what I've heard, the call you the day before and give you the option of bring your C&R guns and bound book to their office or have the agent come out to your house. They will want to match up C&R firearms to your bound book entries and will probably ask for any paperwork you might have related to dispositions (acquisition/sales/trades). Then they typically review the rules that apply to the 03 FFL C&R license with you to make sure you understand them. I have seen several descriptions matching this on other gun forums posted by C&r holders who have been inspected.

smoothebore

I've had my license since 2008. I was inspected the first year. I was living in Georgia at the time. As far as I recall I got a phone call from a lady ATF agent wanting to set up an appointment at my convenience. She stated that I could meet her anywhere I chose. At the time I only had three guns listed in my book, so I set up a time for a meeting with her, and that my home would be the most convenient for me. She met me as scheduled, and was very pleasant and professional. She didn't want to see any guns. She was only interested in my bound book and that it was organized according to ATF guidelines.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

And these are only 4 documented requests for audits........there are many more that go undocumented.:lol2:

Yes, per the previous posts, according to the BATF's own rules, the appt for any audit is to be made at the convenience of the licensee (for FFL03's).

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    I've had a C&R since 1999. I was inspected a few years back - message was left on my answering machine. I called back and arranged a meeting at BATF branch in Baltimore. They never asked to come to my house, and I wouldn't have allowed it. The meeting place is your choice. Had they just appeared at my home (I have heard that this has happened to some C&R holders) I would have politely refused entry and arranged a meeting at their office. My bound book is in a database, so I brought the letter I had received from BATF granting their permission to keep an electronic version, and I printed out my aquisitions and dispositions from the software. The meeting was pleasant - they covered a bunch of stuff that didn't apply to a C&R holder. A lot of BATF agents seems somewhat mystified as to what a C&R license actually is. I think what may have triggered the inspection was the large number of dispositions I had during that 3 year period as I was selling in preparation of purchasing some new, relatively expensive C&Rs.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I think what may have triggered the inspection was the large number of dispositions I had during that 3 year period as I was selling in preparation of purchasing some new, relatively expensive C&Rs.

How would the ATF know about any dispositions (or even acquistions for that matter) that you made before they saw your bound book? My understanding is that the bound book is basically on the honor system. The ATF has no way of knowing if it is correct or not, only whether or not it is in their required format.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I would feel bad for the agent that would have to go through each line item in my book. I am about to generate a 2nd book as my first 3 ring binder is almost full.

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    How would the ATF know about any dispositions (or even acquistions for that matter) that you made before they saw your bound book? My understanding is that the bound book is basically on the honor system. The ATF has no way of knowing if it is correct or not, only whether or not it is in their required format.

When you renew, you have to list the number of aquisitions and dispositions from the previous 3 years you had your license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom