• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, I have one firearm in the MSP pipeline already. Bought another 30 days after that one was bought. Getting ready to put that one in the pipeline too. Just wondering if I can buy more and have my FFL/dealer hold them until I can complete MSP Form 77R 30 days later, of if I am only allowed to buy and pay for a regulated firearm every 30 days.

The word "purchase" in the code isn't defined, which is driving me nuts. They should have worded it such that a person cannot take possession of a regulated firearm but once every 30 days. Our brilliant legislators probably failed to think of a situation like we are seeing right now with MSP and wait times that are well over 30 days, even though they passed a law stating 7 days.

Smoke is starting to come out my ears.

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    The rule is you can only "pick up" one per month. So once your "7 day" (7 week really) waiting period is over, you cannot collect one for another 30 days. I don't know how the FFL handles this or how the MSP handles it in terms of "you got approved for one 15 days ago so now you are denied" or "You got approved for one 15 days ago so the FFL has to hold this". Maybe someone else can answer that better. Best idea is to become a designated collector. I sent out my paperwork this week for that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The rule is you can only "pick up" one per month. So once your "7 day" (7 week really) waiting period is over, you cannot collect one for another 30 days. I don't know how the FFL handles this or how the MSP handles it in terms of "you got approved for one 15 days ago so now you are denied" or "You got approved for one 15 days ago so the FFL has to hold this". Maybe someone else can answer that better. Best idea is to become a designated collector. I sent out my paperwork this week for that.

Mailed mine on March 1st and they received it March 2nd per the Certified Mail records of USPS. Still waiting.

Best bet is for me to get as many bought and in the pipeline as law will allow.

Feb 28, 2013
    30 days from your last pickup, so on day 23, 24 or so you can submit new apps because the state's required 7-day wait would encompass the remaining days of your 30 day clock. So yes, they can run concurrently.

You can also buy 2 regulated firearms at one time, from one place, like I have apps in the pipeline for now. But then the 30-day clock increases to 60.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The "Purchase" refered to in the law means means 30daysw from the pickup of previous regulated item. You may negeoate, and pay for as many as you care to inbetween, but the dealer must hold on to it, and submit the paperwork as per schedule,

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The "Purchase" refered to in the law means means 30daysw from the pickup of previous regulated item. You may negeoate, and pay for as many as you care to inbetween, but the dealer must hold on to it, and submit the paperwork as per schedule,

Thanks. After reviewing the law about 5 times today, I was starting to get that impression and was going to make that argument. It seems as though one must apply to MSP via Form 77R prior to "purchasing" the item. So, I was going to argue that the actual "purchase" could not take place until MSP approves the Form 77R. Hence, even if the item is bought and sent to the FFL prior to the 30 day period expiring, it is not actually "purchased" until MSP gives its blessing and the regulated firearm can be released for pickup/possession. Such a poorly written law.

They should have made the law such that a person cannot purchase AND take possession of a regulated firearm more than once every 30 days, or just focus on taking possession once every 30 days.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    I dont mean to sound stupid..but can someone (with not an assumption but 100% factual knowledge) tell me how this can go.. spell it out for us slower people (with examples please).. I say this because I wanna get a stripped ar lower around may1st and get it shipped and get the paperwork hopefully done by mid may.. then I want to get an ak47.. then if I have time before oct1st would like to attempt another ar lower... what would be my best timeframing of accomplishing this.. thank you in advance for your patience. .. and again I want a 100% sure answer (a dealer with experience in this situation would be great).. thank you.

Ps.. these maryland laws are crazy

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I dont mean to sound stupid..but can someone (with not an assumption but 100% factual knowledge) tell me how this can go.. spell it out for us slower people (with examples please).. I say this because I wanna get a stripped ar lower around may1st and get it shipped and get the paperwork hopefully done by mid may.. then I want to get an ak47.. then if I have time before oct1st would like to attempt another ar lower... what would be my best timeframing of accomplishing this.. thank you in advance for your patience. .. and again I want a 100% sure answer (a dealer with experience in this situation would be great).. thank you.

I would call the Licensing Division and ask them directly.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I'm only an attorney/CPA that has spoken to the person in charge of the Licensing Division at MSP, so take this with a grain of salt.

Start the paperwork on the first lower the day your FFL receives the lower and submit it.

Buy the AK and have it shipped to your FFL. Wait 30 days from the day you submitted the paperwork on the AR lower and then submit the paperwork for the AK.

Buy the 2nd AR lower. Wait 30 days from the day you submitted the paperwork on the AK and then submit the paperwork for the 2nd AR lower.

As long as you have a valid purchase order in place before October 1, 2013, you should be able to get your Form 77R application to purchase a regulated firearm approved by MSP.

I really wish they would sticky this thread of mine. Maybe should have titled it "How to deal with the ridiculous MSP wait times when you want more than 1"

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114703&highlight=Form+77R

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Hey at least I didnt start a brand new thread... and thank you for spelling that out a little better for me... and for posting your credentials. .. if it makes you feal better, your information makes me feal better :) .. o and I did apologize in my post for being stupid for asking... the thing is I just wanna be very sure.. I dont know all the laws so well (and I dont even know if u mess up with the 30 day waits of its a crime and might stop me from ownimg any guns at all) .. and again. . Thank you

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Sorry.. 1 more question (lol) I wont need any special forms to do this right .. I had seen mention of special forms but am not sure if that would apply to me for what I am doing ... again.. thanks for bearing with me here

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hey at least I didnt start a brand new thread... and thank you for spelling that out a little better for me... and for posting your credentials. .. if it makes you feal better, your information makes me feal better :) .. o and I did apologize in my post for being stupid for asking... the thing is I just wanna be very sure.. I dont know all the laws so well (and I dont even know if u mess up with the 30 day waits of its a crime and might stop me from ownimg any guns at all) .. and again. . Thank you

Heck, I was just as "stupid" as you until about April 5th. Spent a couple hours between e-mails, telephone calls, and letters to arrive at the answer. I am somewhat pissed that MSP has not posted the answer to its website. It would cut down on a lot of confusion on the part of applicants and the amount of time MSP spends on the phone answering this question over and over again.

If I never received an answer from it, I was going to submit a second Form 77R and push the envelope, with a date in Court if necessary.

Thing about me pushing the envelope on this as the test case is that if I am found guilty I have to do some explaining to bar counsel for two jurisdictions and then the Board of Public Accountancy. Pretty happy I actually received an answer and the answer was acceptable to me.

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PICK UP THE REGULATED FIREARM WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE LAST ONE YOU PICKED UP.

So count those days carefully. If in doubt, send me a PM with your last pickup date and I will let you know the next date you can pickup, but I'll go with 31 days to stay on the safe side.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sorry.. 1 more question (lol) I wont need any special forms to do this right .. I had seen mention of special forms but am not sure if that would apply to me for what I am doing ... again.. thanks for bearing with me here

The special form (i.e., Designated Collector status) is only needed if you want to pickup more often than once every 30 days. I received mine on April 6th or so right after I figured out the answer to your initial question. I'm about to submit 4 regulated firearms for approval next week.

I would advise you to apply for the Designated Collector status. It takes about 30 days to get approval and then your initial question is no longer an issue. You could submit 50 regulated firearms for approval on September 1 and pick them all up 60+ days later when MSP approves them all. Heck, you could do 100+ regulated firearms at once.

The application for Designated Collector status is free. All you have to do is get the form notarized and pay for postage.

Here is the link to the form:

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=7BJZzDT7kt8=&tabid=423&mid=1072

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Is the 77r a special form or is that the form you have to fill out anyways to buy a regulated firearm (ive only bought shotguns before because my aim sucks)

Feb 28, 2013
    So theoretically Fabs, if I'm reading you right you can fill out all the apps you want. You just can't pickup more than one a month. Is that what your sayin?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So theoretically Fabs, if I'm reading you right you can fill out all the apps you want. You just can't pickup more than one a month. Is that what your sayin?

I am saying to submit a Form 77R once every 30 days and then make sure you do not pickup a 2nd or subsequent regulated firearm within 30 days of your last pickup.

Theoretically, the MSP could reduce the turnaround time between Form 77R approvals and thereby authorize a 2nd or subsequent pickup within 30 days. Granted, MSP is supposed to be tracking the last pickup and putting a hold on the subsequent pickup if 30 days have not already lapsed. However, I would not rely on MSP to get that right, and while I really like my FFL and trust him, I would want to make sure myself.

So, submit a Form 77r every 30 days and ensure there is 30 days between each pickup for a regulated firearm. Me, I was keeping notes of submission dates, but now that I have the Designated Collector approval, I no longer care.

Edit to add: The law reads that you cannot take possession of a regulated firearm more than once every 30 days. Picking up more than once every 30 days is the violation. Submitting 1,000 apps isn't the violation unless they want to try and charge you with "attempting" to violate the law.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Is the 77r a special form or is that the form you have to fill out anyways to buy a regulated firearm (ive only bought shotguns before because my aim sucks)

Form 77R is the form you need to complete for a regulated firearm purchase. It goes to Maryland State Police ("MSP") and it is what MSP uses for the background check. Only needed for the current definition of "assault weapons" and handguns.

Feb 28, 2013
    Let's see. I got 2 apps in the pipeline now. If turnaround time remains true to form, I should be picking those up around June 1st. So, I figure I should be able to submit a new app around late May. Didn't pick one up in the previous 30 days after all. And by the time that app would go through, the 60-day waiy which would be required after I pick up the guns I waiting on now, will have elapsed.

Then I should be good for another app around late June.

Cool. :D

Hey, it's their system. I'm just gonna work it the way it's best for me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I talked to the MSP licensing folks earlier this week.

I asked specifically about this.

I was told that the law is you cannot pick up another regulated firearm until 30 days after the last one is picked up.

You CAN submit paperwork before that point. If the paperwork gets processed before the 30 day period, MSP will mark it to the FFL to not deliver until XX date. It will still be processed and returned the the FFL.

Some FFLs will not allow you to submit paperwork until after 30 days, but that is not required. It is their option to do this it if makes them more comfortable. Find a different FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom