How did you started collecting C&R guns and what was the first?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Christoff

Nov 5, 2008
    Glen Burnie, Md
    My first was a TT-33, my first with my C&R was a CZ 82. My latest was a unfired Yugo SKS. I'm still looking at a Mosin but the wife will kill me if I buy another.

Sent from my Atrix 2 using Tapatalk

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    I actually got two at the same time, a Lee Enfield No 1 Mk III and a Russian M38 carbine. I still like to shoot the SMLE but the M38 has never been a favorite of mine.

mitchugh

Feb 3, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I have always been interested in history and particularly WWII, my Grandpa fought in the PTO. After watching Band of Brothers and playing Call of Duty 2 I could not stop obsessing over the M1 Garand. I dreamed of shooting a piece of history and one just like what my Grandpa may have used. I finally found out you could get one through the CMP and while I was living in Nashville I made a trip to Anniston and picked out my very first firearm. I love that Garand!

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    I started 20+ years ago without realizing it. I also like the history and character of the old guns and I have a particular interest in the Russian stuff and anything from WW-II. I wandered into On Target in the late 80s or so one day and bought a Russian SKS for something like $125 and just put it aside. Looks brand new and Ive never fired it either. Then I got a 50's chinese SKS from my uncle a few years later. FF to 2008 and I bought a 1943 Mosin just because it was $110. Then I got a 1944 M44. So I guess Im a collector now. LOL

Finally got my C&R last month and bought 1941 SVT-40, just got a 1936 Hex Mosin Im pulling the cosmo off of, and have a CMP M1 on the way eventually.

I went on a buying spree getting mostly what I want of the modern stuff before October and after that will prob then concentrate on C&R stuff for the most part. That is if people will still sell to us in MD.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I grew up around them, but didn't realize they were called "C&Rs" until I started to become a C&R myself. When your interest shifts more to handguns from long guns, because you can hide them from the wife coming into the house, you know it's a sickness.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I bought an M1 Garand Collector Grade from Lou at Shooters Discount before I got my C&R, a few weeks later I added a Chinese SKS. Then I got my C&R and went berzerk...
    M91/30 Hex
    M44
    P38
    P1
    TTC
    CZ82
    M1 Carbine
    Another M1 Garand this time a CMP Special for a shooter
    Argentinian FN49 parts gun (currently restoring)
    SVT40

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I grew up around them, but didn't realize they were called "C&Rs" until I started to become a C&R myself. When your interest shifts more to handguns from long guns, because you can hide them from the wife coming into the house, you know it's a sickness.

I have to take that lesson to the bank..:lol:

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I can honestly say that this website and yellowsled got me started. After reading many, many posts about how neat they were, I started looking into them. Bought the first, a Hex Izzy, at the Silverado show in Frederick 2 years ago and it's been downhill ever since. I am not as proficient at acquiring them as some are, but I am plucking along. BTW, it helps that my wife is a history nut and loves them also!!

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just got my license but already had:
    Garand (first "old" gun)
    M1903
    M1917 Enfield
    M1 Carbine
    M91/30
    Inglis P-35

Just ordered a Webley No. IV .38SW

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Don't have a C&R but started with C&R guns since I too was interested in history and I was under 21 at the time so it is all I could legally buy and afford anyway.

Portuguese Mauser 1904/38
    Mosin-Nagant M91/30
    Yugo M59/66 that I got via trading my Portuguese Mauser
    Bubba'ed 1915 German Mauser. Sold that to my buddy.
    Tokarev SVT-40 - sold that eventually
    Chinese SKS
    Russian SKS after selling my Chinese SKS
    Yugo M48 Mauser - later sold that
    Hakim
    Sold my Mosin and bought another one
    Sold that Mosin and bought another one
    Yugo Kar 98k refurbed Mauser - sold that one
    Mosin M59 - sold that to a buddy

So I now only have a German Mauser, Hex Mosin, Russian SKS, and some old sporting guns I inherited from my grandfather.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Don't have a C&R but started with C&R guns since I too was interested in history and I was under 21 at the time so it is all I could legally buy and afford anyway.

Portuguese Mauser 1904/38
    Mosin-Nagant M91/30
    Yugo M59/66 that I got via trading my Portuguese Mauser
    Bubba'ed 1915 German Mauser. Sold that to my buddy.
    Tokarev SVT-40 - sold that eventually
    Chinese SKS
    Russian SKS after selling my Chinese SKS
    Yugo M48 Mauser - later sold that
    Hakim
    Sold my Mosin and bought another one
    Sold that Mosin and bought another one
    Yugo Kar 98k refurbed Mauser - sold that one
    Mosin M59 - sold that to a buddy

So I now only have a German Mauser, Hex Mosin, Russian SKS, and some old sporting guns I inherited from my grandfather.

How about that Hakim? Ill take that off your hands. :cool:

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    How about that Hakim? Ill take that off your hands. :cool:

LOL I sold that one 5 years ago to fund my first AK purchase :D.

But thank you for the offer. Like I said at the end of my last post I only have my German KAR 98k, My 1930 Mosin, Russian SKS, and some of my grandfather's old civy guns which none are for sell since I have tweaked my collection for the seven years that I have been shooting to where it is now ;)

I may buy some more C&R guns once I have a steady job and I leave Maryland but for now I'm concentrating on the modern stuff since it is what I like more plus the government especially the Maryland government has banned many of them so I have to get the new stuff now or never.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looking at my dad's American Rifleman as a kid in the 60's and seeing the FN49's in the ads started my interest, but I didn't get my first C&R until 87 (M1 Garand). The FN49 came along in 89 and it's been more and varied since.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    LOL I sold that one 5 years ago to fund my first AK purchase :D.

But thank you for the offer. Like I said at the end of my last post I only have my German KAR 98k, My 1930 Mosin, Russian SKS, and some of my grandfather's old civy guns which none are for sell since I have tweaked my collection for the seven years that I have been shooting to where it is now ;)

I may buy some more C&R guns once I have a steady job and I leave Maryland but for now I'm concentrating on the modern stuff since it is what I like more plus the government especially the Maryland government has banned many of them so I have to get the new stuff now or never.

the way you run through C&R's, can you just buy a nice Hakim or Rasheed and then let it go to me a month or 2 later? :D

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    the way you run through C&R's, can you just buy a nice Hakim or Rasheed and then let it go to me a month or 2 later? :D

I was at realco guns today and they have a Hakim there in excellent condition for only $575. Not a great deal but not a rip off like most places are charging for them.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just wanted to legally buy modern caliber guns without the modern hassles...:D

Walther P38/P1

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    My wife bought me a 1944 smith corona 03-a3 for our first wedding anniversary

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    My first C&R eligible gun I purchased before I received my FFL03. It was a Mosin Nagant 91/30 Hex (Octagon) receiver that I bought from SOG for 69.99 if memory serves me correctly. Since then I have added a 91/30 Sniper w/PU Scope, an M44 Carbine, a 1895 Nagant Officer's revolver, an M1 Carbine, a M1 Garand and a CZ-82 pistol. Rifles that I have purchased that should be C&R but were not when I purchased them are two Chinese SKS's. I also own an Arisaka type 99 that I inherited from my father-in-law that he brought back from WWII.
    I have a long way to go to fill in my collection. I do not currently own any German, Italian, Swiss, English, etc. firearms. I am also missing a Krag Jorgenson, Springfield
    1903, etc, etc.
    The list goes on and on. So many guns, so little money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom