How did you started collecting C&R guns and what was the first?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

(I sure this has been discussed in the past - thought I'd bring it up)

Mine was 1943 91-30 Mosin (Izhevsk) nothing special but a nice gun.

A couple of years ago I was in a local Big 5 stores to get some .22 ammo and it caught my eye, 10 days later I brought it home - the rest is blur.
    bree_aragorn.jpg

What say you?

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    I initially became interested in them after seeing an ad in a gun magazine. I started thinking "hey maybe I can get a decent rifle for a super cheap price." I started looking into different kinds to see which one I'd want. I started seeing the history and cool variations of these guns and I was hooked. They were interesting. New guns might be cool, but they were boring in comparison. The first one I bought was (of course) a Mosin Nagant M91/30 at Gander Mountain on Black Friday. The first one I bought with my C&R was a CZ-82. Now not only do I have to get the gun, I want the sling, accessories, vintage ammo....It definitely hits the bank account hard.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Swedish M96 from Lou at Shooter's Discount many moons ago.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Mine was a good 20 yrs ago and it was because of the cost (I was a broke college student). It was a Spanish Mauser for next to nothing that I got from Woolworth's. I didn't know a thing about mil surplus and I got a rusted boat anchor that had headspace issues. I quickly gave it away and got an IBM M1 carbine. Man I wish I had bought 10 of all the stuff of all the stuff I got (or more importantly passed on) back then.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I got my C&R thinking that I'd be able to get some good shooters to have fun with at the range. I like the history behind them too, especially guns that were made during or around the time of some conflict, be it WW2 or any other. Don't get me wrong, I love the performance of newer pieces. But to me, old things like cars, motorcycles and guns have more character than new stuff, and that makes them far more interesting. I love their little foibles and quirks. That's what makes them appeal to me.

Currently, I haven't actually used my C&R yet. But my wife bought me a Yugo SKS for my birthday that's a straight up blast to shoot. There's other guns on my list, but that's the only one I have so far. Gotta get all my soon to be banned evil black stuff bought and built first.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Like many others, a Mosin-Nagant was my first C&R firearm. Kinda a long story but it started around when I was a freshmen in high school. I had been playing those early WW2 call of duty games and thought they were pretty cool and wanted to get an "old military gun". Found out from my parents that we had a "Korean sniper rifle" hidden back in the basement and started to research it and found out it was a just a sporterized Type 38 that my Great Uncle had brought back from Korea.

I picked up a shotgun news magazine and saw the ads for Mosin-Nagants for $79.00 and immediately wanted one. Come Christmas time, I told my parents what I wanted and they brought me home an M44 Carbine and a Romanian Refurb VZ.24. Technically, I got both at the same time but oh well.

BDurk

Sep 21, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Mosin_Nagant....followed by an M1...followed by an Enfield.....followed by an Arisaka....followed by.......

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Chinese SKS 56. The paperwork in buying a gun in MD has become so stupid that C&R just made sense from a less BS standpoint.

Fun to have the big brown truck drop off a CZ-82 at the front door 2 days after purchase.

:)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    First C&R eligible firearm was a plain Jane 91/30 I bought 6 months before I had my license. First shipped directly with the license was a Romanian SKS.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    First for me was a mosin from a member in here...I finally used my c&r at a York gun show to buy an unfired Yugo M48 Mauser for $170.

Good thing I bought some ammo for it at the time...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

smoothebore

I was always interested in Mil-surp guns and first was a VZ-24 from a gun show. I actually got the C&R for ease in buying and receiving shotguns. The C&R list covers much more than military surplus. For instance, it also includes all original production of Parker Bros, L.C. Smith, and A.H. Fox shotguns. I collect Parkers. Since becoming a regular follower of this forum I have gotten back to mil-surp with a Spanish Mauser, Carcano, Mosin 91/30, M-38, SKS, CZ82, P38, and Nagant Revolver. And as others have said, you gotta have the original sling, cleaning kit, ammo, etc. There is no end to this hobby.

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    Always into old firearms. Got my C&R after I got my AR, lol. Was a money issue for me until 04, started making some coin so off I went ,hard. I wanted something from all the players in WW2 and I have that and more. Of late the funds are gone, kids take any and all extra fun money so..... Sold a few, but many are keepers. Old bolt guns are an problem for me, I couldn't say no for a loooong time. A lot of stuff is gone, cost way to much now. I missed the golden age of milsurp, 50's-70's... I did ok but to been able in that time frame, havin cash o plenty would have been great.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I was driving in Westminster one day behind a white "Cadeelak" and a gun dropped out it was a Mosin and that started me.

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Got a Mosin-Nagant from Buds a couple years ago. I was ordering a Colt Government Model 100 Year Anniversary pistol, and the Mosin was just $110 more so why not....

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I got started when a co-worker of mine introduced me to the SKS. My first C&R purchase was a 59/66 from Samco Global followed shortly thereafter by a P-38. I remember when the later was delivered to the house by the UPS man. It felt kinda weird getting a handgun delivered to the house. I felt like I had done something dirty. I got over it quick.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It was this site that led me astray.

For my first C&R, I wanted something unique. So I found a French "Unique" .22 target pistol, with a built-in muzzle brake, cased in a really nice fitted wood & velvet & silk case. Test target and instructions (in French, oddly enough) in a compartment inside. A really attractive piece of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom