• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Clean chamber with chamber brush attached to drill to prevent carbon ring buildup from using varget.

Oh HELL No! That's a great way to ruin the chamber.

If you're taking more than 15-20 minutes to clean your rifle, you're doing way more than you need to.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    done it for 6000+ rds and 2 barrels. I do it very slowly with a well lubed chamber brush. Years back i had a carbon ring right at the throat of the chamber after some research turns out most believe its due to varget and heavy bullets. Thought I had a worn out barrel at 1500rds. Cleaned it like stated back to 1/2 moa and shooting Xs (well on my good days) No harm done yet but I'm not talking going to town on it either. Trick I learned from older HP shooter. Others use JB paste.

Alaskacajun

Aug 30, 2011
    I blow all the big chunks out of the upper and lower with Gunscrubber... I take apart my BCG and blow it off with Gunscrubber... then I relube and put the rifle away... it takes all of 5-10 minutes... I do this about every 1000 rounds or so, I'm shooting most of that 1000 rounds suppressed, so the rifles get pretty gross!

Google "Pat Rogers Filthy 14" :D

- Clint

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    I find the hardest part for me is getting into the top of the upper receiver. I can't get my fingers in there and my brush barely fits in the channel where the charging handle goes. I also find cleaning the lugs to be a pain in the ass.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I find the hardest part for me is getting into the top of the upper receiver. I can't get my fingers in there and my brush barely fits in the channel where the charging handle goes. I also find cleaning the lugs to be a pain in the ass.

Brownells Carries a blue ar15 brush kit specifically designed to clean all the nooks and crannies of an ar15.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That brush is probably the best way to do it, I've just gotten creative and bent q-tips at an angle to clean in there myself, more or less the same thing I do with the channel the charging handle resides in.

Calvert County engineering at it's finest. :toothless

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    My upper is the Bravo Company "Filthy 14"...so I'm not real worried about cleaning. The Marine in me says CLEAN NOW!!!!! but reality suggests that it's not really necessary. Only run about 100rds through her so far as the second owner. Not concerned. I'll probably clean her in another 1000rds or so.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I clean mine how i was taught to most of the time. At the moment 1 is pinky **** clean, the other 2 are dirty bc i havent had a chance to clean em yet. I only do the hardcore cleaning every once in while, im starting to do more basic wipedowns now bc i shoot so much.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    That brush is probably the best way to do it, I've just gotten creative and bent q-tips at an angle to clean in there myself, more or less the same thing I do with the channel the charging handle resides in.

Calvert County engineering at it's finest. :toothless

For the upper, I use a doubled up pipe cleaner to get behind the gas tube. For the charging handle groove, the standard AR "tooth" brush works just fine. I'll use the an AR chamber brush and "star" mops for the bulk of the lug area work. I'll then use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber to blast out any other junk before lubing.

For general cleanup, if you haven't used them yet, get the Viva brand paper towels. They're tough like a cloth and really absorb the solvents and oils. I won't use anything else now.

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to routine thorough cleaning, but to me a clean AR is a happy AR. I just feel better doing it. :o

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One good thing about a piston gun, no gas-tube to work around. ;)

That and aside from being to shoot while submerged, that about covers the good things about a piston gun.... :lol2: Feel better now Chad??

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    For the upper, I use a doubled up pipe cleaner to get behind the gas tube. For the charging handle groove, the standard AR "tooth" brush works just fine. I'll use the an AR chamber brush and "star" mops for the bulk of the lug area work. I'll then use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber to blast out any other junk before lubing.

For general cleanup, if you haven't used them yet, get the Viva brand paper towels. They're tough like a cloth and really absorb the solvents and oils. I won't use anything else now.

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to routine thorough cleaning, but to me a clean AR is a happy AR. I just feel better doing it. :o

so you telling me bounty is false advertisement?? LOL

i use microfiber towels (from walmart). wash them and reuse.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The blue shop towels also work well and don't "shed" little fibres.

They're a bit on the pricey side, but I do have those on the bench as well.:thumbsup:

One good thing about a piston gun, no gas-tube to work around. ;)

That and aside from being to shoot while submerged, that about covers the good things about a piston gun.... :lol2: Feel better now Chad??

:rofl:

so you telling me bounty is false advertisement?? LOL

i use microfiber towels (from walmart). wash them and reuse.

Yes, they suck.

Are you talking about Sham Wow?

sham-wow-celebrity-gossip-vince-shlomi.jpg

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Use wipe out for the bore. Field strip a firearm and clean it with water and soap in a sink. Once clean wash thoroughly with water. Spray down with a ballistol/ water mix and let dry on a towel. When the water evaporates the ballistol will remain as a protection to prevent rust.

Then lubricate the firearm with G96, breakfree, atf, or my preferred product synthetic motor oil (Castrol or Mobil1 0w50 or 10w50.

WHAT, no KY jelly?:lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    WHAT, no KY jelly?:lol2:

Nah, he wouldn't have anything to spread on his cracker's if he used that... :lol2:

Astro-glyde works wonders though, couple drops of that and you can fit a 12ga bore brush into a 5.56 chamber. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom