• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have always been mesmerized at those videos that show how things are made, and the machines and carftsmen who make them.

While looking at sights for CZ pistols and the lack of variety compared to a much higher volume item, such as glock sights, it got me wondering how are rear pistol, dovetail sights made?
    Automated machines that perform complex operations, designed for that specific item?
    Custom "bar stock" with the dovetail and vert sight, cut into short pieces and hand finished?

An Amish craftsman, hand making each sight with love, care, and dedication?

Does anyone have any in "sight" on how sights are manufactured (no pun intended)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In a low volume production situation the operations shown in the video would be preformed by a CNC machining center that can be programmed and can even change tools automatically. As production quantities increase additional automation is added including holding fixtures for multiple parts, robotic loading and unloading of parts, etc. and when quantities reach certain levels custom extruded raw materials become economical as do dedicated custom machines. It all depends on economics, economy of scale vs cost of tooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom