• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Can anyone recommend a House inspector in the St. Mary's/Charles County area? My boy is looking at buying his first house and I want a professional to give it the once over so we know what he is getting in to. Most likely gonna be a short sale, so nothing will get fixed, but he can walk if there are hidden issues.

arbrand

Jan 21, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Can anyone recommend a House inspector in the St. Mary's/Charles County area? My boy is looking at buying his first house and I want a professional to give it the once over so we know what he is getting in to. Most likely gonna be a short sale, so nothing will get fixed, but he can walk if there are hidden issues.

I hired one for a recent real estate pur have and he was a top notch guy, don't remember his name but after our experience I have no faith that they know what they are doing. We have huge electrical problems now that are going to run us like $20,000 to fix and they said everything is perfect. Don't trust them and the only reason they are still employed is because the title companies require and inspection. Whoever you get, watch them like a hawk while doing the inspection. Most of them are clueless and have no idea what they are even looking at. Its a joke.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    May want to inquire to see if a county inspector could do a walk-thru.

Here in Calvert, they're pretty sharp and straightforward about any and all issues they see.

Might be worth a shot.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I can give you the number for my guy. I was there while he did the inspection and he checked everything.The house I had inspected is in Delta,PA but you can call and see if he comes that far south. The one thing to keep in mind is that if things are hidden behind a wall the home inspector cant find it. It is a non invasive inspection. His name is Richard Thacker number is 443-371-8006 website is http://www.homeritehomeinspections.com/

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    some home inspectors don't know much more than the average person, just go in with common sense. basement leaks, termite tunnels, rot or sponge floors around doors and in bathroom, look in attic for roof leaks. if its a short sale just look for the major things

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I hired one for a recent real estate pur have and he was a top notch guy, don't remember his name but after our experience I have no faith that they know what they are doing. We have huge electrical problems now that are going to run us like $20,000 to fix and they said everything is perfect. Don't trust them and the only reason they are still employed is because the title companies require and inspection. Whoever you get, watch them like a hawk while doing the inspection. Most of them are clueless and have no idea what they are even looking at. Its a joke.

Title companies don't require inspections and neither do banks. You got a bum inspector. Most that I have dealt with are very thorough and professional. Not every defect can be detected, especially if it is behind walls or deliberately being hidden.

ArchAngel78

Feb 28, 2010
    If you still need someone, send me a PM. The gentleman we used was very thorough, nice and provided a large binder at the end with all of his findings/recommendations. He also encouraged the potential homeowner to follow him and check everything out with him.

Also good luck with the short sale. Very painful process.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Listen to what Jaybee is telling you

You want someone off the ASHI website.

In MD there are NO licensing or other rqts to "hang a shingle" and buy a ____ word ad in the yellow pages for "home inspections"

ASHI has very high reqts to get in and stay in.

Best o' success!

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Listen to what Jaybee is telling you

You want someone off the ASHI website.

In MD there are NO licensing or other rqts to "hang a shingle" and buy a ____ word ad in the yellow pages for "home inspections"

ASHI has very high reqts to get in and stay in.

Best o' success!

All inspectors in MD must be licensed and insured. Not like it used to be.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    ASHI is still the best - make sure they are ASHI Certified Inspectors

ASHI Certified Inspectors— Inspectors in this category have:
    •Passed the National Home Inspector Examination and ASHI's Standards and Ethics module.
    •Had inspection reports successfully verified for compliance with ASHI's Standards of Practice.
    •Submitted valid proof of performance of at least 250 fee-paid home inspections that meet or exceed the ASHI Standards of Practice.

ASHI Associates w/ Logo— Inspectors in this category have:
    •Passed the National Home Inspector Examination and ASHI's Standards and Ethics module.
    •ASHI has verified performance of 50 fee-paid inspections in substantial compliance with the Standards of Practice.
    •Had inspection reports successfully verified for compliance with ASHI's Standards of Practice.

ASHI Associates— Inspectors in this category have:
    •Just joined ASHI and may be new to the inspection profession or may be a seasoned inspector who has not yet completed ASHI's requirements to move up in membership.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Just got the confirmation that the bank is going to proceed with his offer and he will have a letter within the week. I just sent him the ASHI link and told him to pick a Certified Inspector. They show 4 in the area:

Cynthia Thalman ASHI Certified Inspector Homes by Cynthia Contact details * 301-752-4576
    John Jordan ASHI Certified Inspector EmcoSpec Inspection Systems Contact details * 301-274-3358
    Mell David (Dave) King ASHI Certified Inspector AmeriSpec Contact details 301-843-9960
    Stuart Hall ASHI Certified Inspector AmeriSpec Home Inspection Contact details 301-843-9960

Anyone have any opinions on these guys?

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    Just got the confirmation that the bank is going to proceed with his offer and he will have a letter within the week. I just sent him the ASHI link and told him to pick a Certified Inspector. They show 4 in the area:

Cynthia Thalman ASHI Certified Inspector Homes by Cynthia Contact details * 301-752-4576
    John Jordan ASHI Certified Inspector EmcoSpec Inspection Systems Contact details * 301-274-3358
    Mell David (Dave) King ASHI Certified Inspector AmeriSpec Contact details 301-843-9960
    Stuart Hall ASHI Certified Inspector AmeriSpec Home Inspection Contact details 301-843-9960

Anyone have any opinions on these guys?

Save the fee and do it yourself! What areas are you concerned with?

do they have a money back guarantee if they screw the pooch and miss stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom