• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Nobody else mentioned it so I will.

Only pistol calibers are allowed there, so no AR's or AK's.

You'll have to go to Freestate for that.

They will allow you to shoot .223/5.56 it just has to be frangible or varmint.... which can be hard to find and theirs wasn't cheap.

I have had overall good experiences. I did get a little angry with my 84 day waiting period for my AR but once I got my first ND and my designated collector they let me grab my glock before they received the ND for it.

I am a much bigger fan of Freestate. H&M is closer to me but I will usually just go to Freestate.

Feb 28, 2013
    Probably. When I last shot there a few years ago all their "AR" type rifles they had for rent were 22LR. and jammed a lot. Almost turned me away from firearms all together. Fortunately my teenage son insisted on going shooting and the rest is history. And expensive. :)
    I just tried to look for that. Their website sucks severely.:tdown:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'll bite how do you know?

They have never given me a hard time about ammo. Honestly have been very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:rolleyes:

How long have you been going there? I have been there a few times to entertain friends for 30 minutes.

It was the Gunpowder Range years before the current operation took over the vacant building. When the current operation started (Early 2007?) they had strict ammo policy, Total Metal Jacket/JHP/Frangible only with their new ventilation system, and made modern updates to what was left of the old place. I guess the idea was to get the least amount of lead exposure.

They had since dropped the strict ammo policy with it's reasoning.

I remember bags of reloads being sold for range ammo, don't know if that's still going on or not.

If I go there, my time is literally 30 minutes or less, they have the best rates of all the gun ranges. I just laugh having a good time, and plink with other friends wanting some quick entertainment who might not be avid firearm enthusiast.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Frangible is ridiculously expensive and if it is not what you are going to shoot normally then you aren't helping yourself with how to expect your ammo to perform in your firearm.

Feb 28, 2013

This is all I get off that link.:shrug:

$(window).load(function() { $('#slider').nivoSlider({ effect:'sliceUpDown', //Specify sets like: 'fold,fade,sliceDown, sliceDownLeft, sliceUp, sliceUpLeft, sliceUpDown, sliceUpDownLeft' slices:17, animSpeed:500, pauseTime:6000, startSlide:0, //Set starting Slide (0 index) directionNav:false, //Next & Prev directionNavHide:false, //Only show on hover controlNav:true, //1,2,3... controlNavThumbs:false, //Use thumbnails for Control Nav controlNavThumbsFromRel:false, //Use image rel for thumbs controlNavThumbsSearch: '.jpg', //Replace this with... controlNavThumbsReplace: '_thumb.jpg', //...this in thumb Image src keyboardNav:true, //Use left & right arrows pauseOnHover:true, //Stop animation while hovering manualAdvance:false, //Force manual transitions captionOpacity:1, //Universal caption opacity beforeChange: function(){}, afterChange: function(){}, slideshowEnd: function(){} //Triggers after all slides have been shown }); });

:wtf::crazy:

That should do wonders for bringing in business.:rolleyes:

Edit: Tried it again and it worked. Looks like frangible rifle calibers are definitely a "go".:thumbsup:

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    This is all I get off that link.:shrug:

$(window).load(function() { $('#slider').nivoSlider({ effect:'sliceUpDown', //Specify sets like: 'fold,fade,sliceDown, sliceDownLeft, sliceUp, sliceUpLeft, sliceUpDown, sliceUpDownLeft' slices:17, animSpeed:500, pauseTime:6000, startSlide:0, //Set starting Slide (0 index) directionNav:false, //Next & Prev directionNavHide:false, //Only show on hover controlNav:true, //1,2,3... controlNavThumbs:false, //Use thumbnails for Control Nav controlNavThumbsFromRel:false, //Use image rel for thumbs controlNavThumbsSearch: '.jpg', //Replace this with... controlNavThumbsReplace: '_thumb.jpg', //...this in thumb Image src keyboardNav:true, //Use left & right arrows pauseOnHover:true, //Stop animation while hovering manualAdvance:false, //Force manual transitions captionOpacity:1, //Universal caption opacity beforeChange: function(){}, afterChange: function(){}, slideshowEnd: function(){} //Triggers after all slides have been shown }); });

:wtf::crazy:

That should do wonders for bringing in business.:rolleyes:

What, you can't read JavaScript??? :) on their main page at the top click on policies. There should be an ammo section.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    All I'll say is that they sold me reloads as "home defense ammo" and then gave me shit when I tried to take my brass home with me.

When I bought a handgun from them, they "forgot" to file the MSP paperwork, and a couple days later when I came in to check again, a different person informed me that my handgun hadn't arrived from the distributor yet. When I asked which handgun I had shot, they informed me that it was someone else's. If it weren't for the huge percentage they would have charged me, I would have cancelled what I found out was actually an "order" right then. They had me fill out the 4473 BEFORE THEY EVEN HAD THE GUN IN THE SHOP.

I was new to MD, and didn't know that there was a second form for the MSP.

After I got into reloading, I pulled a couple rounds from what was left of the box of "home defense ammo" and ten rounds had a spread of .4gn, and an average of 3.9gn of powder. It's not something I'd use for defense of anything. And IIRC, they have an FFL06.

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    :rolleyes:

How long have you been going there? I have been there a few times to entertain friends for 30 minutes.

It was the Gunpowder Range years before the current operation took over the vacant building. When the current operation started (Early 2007?) they had strict ammo policy, Total Metal Jacket/JHP/Frangible only with their new ventilation system, and made modern updates to what was left of the old place. I guess the idea was to get the least amount of lead exposure.

They had since dropped the strict ammo policy with it's reasoning.

I remember bags of reloads being sold for range ammo, don't know if that's still going on or not.

If I go there, my time is literally 30 minutes or less, they have the best rates of all the gun ranges. I just laugh having a good time, and plink with other friends wanting some quick entertainment who might not be avid firearm enthusiast.

I started there in September of this year. Have been there probably a dozen times... no issues. Everyone is really nice at least when I am there.

I have never had an issue getting a lane and while they are crowded sometimes I have never had folks all over in my lane. I'm not sure what else folks are looking for in a range....

I buy my own ammo.

I bring it with me and walk in get a lane and shoot.

Hard to imagine how any range could screw that up.

I totally understand folks not wanting to be forced to buy their ammo but right now they are not.

I don't understand folks getting annoyed at the range staff cause if they mistreated me I would just tell them to piss off and ignore them. Those ear plugs work really well. :D

There does seem to be a bit of a rivalry between FreeState people and Horst people on the forums. I'm sure Freestate is a great range and if they move it closer to my house I might stop in and see it OR if I find out the prices there are a lot less.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    What is the great deal? You will get mixed opinions about that place. Do a search on this forum and you'll see a lot of threads about them. I don't know where you live, but Freestate in White Marsh/Middle River is a much better range.

THIS. You'll have to make a decision for yourself. You can read through all the comments based on what happened to someone 'last time I was there' which usually means 2-10 years ago; just like most responses to questions are 'I think the answer is...', very few can give an answer based on actual and current fact/rule/law; or just go there yourself and make your own decision. It's best for guns and probably best for gun ranges as well.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The worst thing I can really say about H&M is it was, to me at least, mediocre. Service was spotty (never rude or obnoxious, but once in a blue moon on of the younger folks would act like I was bothering him/her).

I brought my gun, ammo and I bought targets there. I'd shoot for a while and leave. I shot their ammo in a Sig Mosquito rental and it was awful. They swapped guns for me and all was good. I have not shot there in years....shot with friends at Delta and then moved out of state.

I have been in Freestate, but have not shot there. Gonna try the place in January when my brother and I are in town to visit our mother.

C.M. Beers

Sep 22, 2013
    Abingdon
    I've only been there a few times but no complaints so far. The guys (and gal) in the shop are nice enough, and the range... has already been discussed in adequate detail.

I went there for the First Steps class and had a really positive experience. I was the only person that signed up for the class that evening, and the guy that taught it with was great. He really took the time to work with me as if it was a one-on-one course and thoughtfully answer all of my questions instead of just going through the motions. After the normal classroom material, we had a pretty lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of the different popular SD calibers and what I wanted out of my first gun. Spent a good amount of time working with me on the different shooting stances and seeing what I felt most comfortable with. I never felt rushed or like I was wasting his time; he spent about 3 hours with me between the classroom and shooting time. When it came time to shoot, since I was the only one in the class he let me try two different guns (G17 and XD) and put 20 rounds through each, and then let me shoot five rounds through his personal [brand new] 1911 so I could see how a .45 compared to the 9mms. I think the cost of admission only covers 15 rounds through one gun, so that basically sealed the deal on them getting my money when it was time to buy. It was really nice to see him take only one person showing up as an opportunity rather than a hassle.

As far as purchasing goes, I put in my paperwork in late August and got the phone call to pick it up the first week in September. Very easy. The instructor/employee wasn't in the shop when I went back to rent or when I did the paperwork, but I shot at their range a little later and he recognized me right away, asked me what I bought and how I liked it, yada yada. Some of the guys there will eye you up if you're obviously a new shooter, but that's no surprise and no one was ever rude or dismissive.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Then that must be new. They never used to.

Yes they did, from the beginning. That's another BS rule, just like their original ammo policy that forced you to shoot certain kinds of cased rounds for "health" reasons that forced many customers to buy their crappy reloads. Both H&M and Freestate have the same backstops. Non-frangible loads won't pass through the either backstop, but they claim it's to protect the roof. What they don't tell you is that a .223 frangible round will go through wood.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Frangible is ridiculously expensive and if it is not what you are going to shoot normally then you aren't helping yourself with how to expect your ammo to perform in your firearm.

Correct, and I've seen the frangible rounds they sell go through a piece of steel.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have shot there quite a few times. Even became a semi-member, at the time it was $86 for the year which gave me a little discount on the range fee. Clean and safe. I shot outdoors most of my life so coming indoors was a bit louder. The staff warmed up after about the third visit and were great after that. Then they started some sort of college group nights (of course the nights I wanted to shoot) where couples would show up, rent a firearm, buy ammo and then shoot. I would just turn around and leave. Didn't feel like dealing with the dating crowd. I guess with the price of ammo and the HQL things should slower around there. Chris

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Went today with a friend and my wife. Everyone was fine, place was busy as crap. Mike Horst was watching the range and was nice to see him. Some of the employees have always had a certain "air" about them, but I am usually left alone. I really think if some of the guys behind the counter would stop looking down on people with questions or stop thinking it is a competition on who knows what, they would prob start to fix these issues some people have with them.

No disrespect to the younger generation, but I think some older employees might help as well. Sometimes tough for some to take a 20 something with a hoodies, crooked hat and tattoos seriously at a gun range.

Prices are a little high on the pistols, but they are everywhere it seems. Transfer fee of 75.00 is ridiculous, which makes me not want to buy even one of their pistols. But overall, it's a range.

TD

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    I went there for a suppressor transfer. It was the worse experience I've had. I paid them $125 for the transfer. All I got was bad advice.
    Problem 1
    They recommended I go through MDSP or Harford County Sheriff's Office for the CLEO sign off. I wasted 4 months waiting for the Harford Co Sheriff's sign off only to get my papers back with a letter stating that they won't do it. Why the heck would you tell me to go to an anti gun CLEO anyway?
    Problem 2
    They told me to sign a place I should not have because I went to MDSP Licensing division for the CLEO signoff. And the person there told me I wasn't supposed to sign a certain part of the document.
    Problem 3
    I went back to H&M to double check my paperwork before I sent it out and make sure it all looked good. They said it looked good so I mailed it out. They got the paperwork back saying there needed to be corrections made because there was a place for my name that needed to be printed.
    Problem 4
    Goes back to problem 3 when H&M received the paperwork and knew corrections needed to be made they did not call or email me to tell me about necessary corrections. Not only did they not call me they were just sitting on my paperwork for 21 days. If I had not paid H&M a visit a week later the ATF would have canceled my application.
    Problem 5
    Is a repeat of problem 4. With the a exception I got a letter from the ATF notifying me of the problem so I was able to go to H&M and put my name on another line.
    Problem 6
    I emailed them about a week ago asking if I had been approved yet. And I get no reply. (still no reply) So today I went down there to see them personally. I asked them to check my status. The clerk said that its taking 9-12 months for papers to come back. I decided to leave because in all my interactions previously it seemed like Lorra was the only one handling NFA papers. So I left. And when I left 5 minutes later they called to say the suppressor papers were back and I could pick it up.
    Problem 7
    According to the ATF tax stamp date I received the approval a month ago. So for 30 days H&M did not call me to say it was approved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom