• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I am thinking about doing some serious horseback training, prepping for some back country riding out west. Wheeled vehicles are not permitted in wilderness areas. Where are some good places to get western riding lessons? We have done some trail riding, but cantering must be cool. Looking to get up into the mountains!

Have you seen Open Door to Solitude on Vimeo?
    http://vimeo.com/86651195

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    first off look up stables in your area. even if they are offering english or dressage lessons they may have an older horse that cant do the jumping but still needs some exercise now and then.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    See if you can find a place that has horses that are western broke instead of English broke. While you can learn to ride on either, there are differences. I would expect horses out west to be western broke and used to neck reining.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    See if you can find a place that has horses that are western broke instead of English broke. While you can learn to ride on either, there are differences. I would expect horses out west to be western broke and used to neck reining.

Ditto, also you might want to come out this way and learn. If you have not rode a horse up and down hills you need to try it. Learn to ride first before trying hills.

Going up and you are sliding off the saddle. Coming down you are doing your best to keep your balls off the horn! Learn to adjust the stirrups so you can stand up and be just off the seat. I have friends that are ropers and they look to be sitting down when roping, but they are standing up in the stirrups.

Ask about Nosebands. you're a newbie and a horse can't rear up if they can't lift their head.
    url

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    New rider. Prepare to get "rump sprung". Start slow, do small amounts of time. DON'T DO 11 FRICKIN' MILES ON YOUR FIRST TRIP. Your ass will feel like it was hit with a splitting maul. This happened to me when I was 14 in Montana. :lol2:

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    New rider. Prepare to get "rump sprung". Start slow, do small amounts of time. DON'T DO 11 FRICKIN' MILES ON YOUR FIRST TRIP. Your ass will feel like it was hit with a splitting maul. This happened to me when I was 14 in Montana. :lol2:
    but you still like woman right? do you still think about the experience at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom