• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    What do you guys think of these for home defense? I know Hornady is a reputable brand and I use their critical defense in my edc, but not familiar with their .223/5.56 rounds. Reviews seem to be good & recommended for anything under 16”.
    8c5dd5b1101dafa1ccf33f34d1d940b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Should do the job. Here’s some gel tests for you, looks like as long as you hit your target you shouldn’t have over penetration if you ever have to use them.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have not seen these before. I love Hornady ammo and have a bunch. Although don't know if the stuff I have would be ideal for home defense. I am interested having some of these just in case. My home defense weapon will change from time to time. Right now I will most likely grab my Benelli M4. Where can I find this ammo and how much is it?

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    What do you guys think of these for home defense? I know Hornady is a reputable brand and I use their critical defense in my edc, but not familiar with their .223/5.56 rounds. Reviews seem to be good & recommended for anything under 16”.
    8c5dd5b1101dafa1ccf33f34d1d940b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd recommend trying them to make sure they cycle reliably in your configuration.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I think it might be the best choice for .223, but I would still worry about passing through into the next apartment. 55 grain is going 3240 and, IMO, that is screaming for home defense. Of AR, .223 rounds, I think this one is the best one to stop the quickest, unless they make some slower ones for home defense. Have to look that one up.

You may be justified in taking the shot, but you're still responsible for every round that goes through, or misses your attacker. Just food for thought. Do you have a handgun also? I consider a rifle outside the house defense and hope I am never presented with such a situation.

I must comment I have shot deer with SST's which are similar. They are highly destructive to a deer. So much that I stopped using them. I shot a deer, hit the front shoulder just above the elbow and shattered the bone and destroyed meat in a 2"+ radius. Bullet went left and entered the heart and exploded the heart on the far side. The bullet did not exit or hit the far side and was not recovered. I think it shattered. That was in a 30.06 and a real world test.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Damn, this rabbit hole is a scary one. Watched Military arms shoot 193 ball ammo vs frangible ammo and the latter was going through multiple walls still. I thought that was to explode on contact, and stop, but it did not.

Paul Harrel used 223 Critical defense and it went though 3 walls, 5 layers of drywall and 1 layer plywood and killed the soda bottles still. Now, his test shows a meat target and they stopped in the meat target and 1st wall, but shoot through all drywall before. Lesson, don't miss. :D

I wonder if Vmax in 40 grain would be better or using the AR with slower ammo like 9mm with a different upper. They tend to disintegrate in a couple inches they are going so fast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom