• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Word is the hooligans are meeting early for a shoot. My daughter who is 10 is wanting to shoot a .22 She has been asking for days for me to take her. She has never shot before, and I am wondering what fellow Hooligans think on the subject? Is there anything that I need to do, besides ear protection? Is that 5 bucks for each of us, or hows that work? Any help or input is appreciated.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Word is the hooligans are meeting early for a shoot. My daughter who is 10 is wanting to shoot a .22 She has been asking for days for me to take her. She has never shot before, and I am wondering what fellow Hooligans think on the subject? Is there anything that I need to do, besides ear protection? Is that 5 bucks for each of us, or hows that work? Any help or input is appreciated.

Quad, bring your daughter and 10 bucks to feed the range box. You'll both have a good time.
    :thumbsup:

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    We're planning on coming. Probably wont stay but an hour or so though. It's just that shes been bugging me to go the past week. She was even trying to draw targets today lol. At the moment, the only .22 I have is an m&p 15/22, with open sights. I hope it'll be ok for her.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    I'll bring a 22 caliber Buckmark pistol for her to shoot. You'll both need range passes. Eyes and ears are always recommended.

Dress warmly. There will be wind and lots of slush.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    We're planning on coming. Probably wont stay but an hour or so though. It's just that shes been bugging me to go the past week. She was even trying to draw targets today lol. At the moment, the only .22 I have is an m&p 15/22, with open sights. I hope it'll be ok for her.

I have a little Ithaca single shot 22 she's welcome to shoot as much as she wants. That may be a better gun for her to learn some basics with. I'll bring it.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I have a little Ithaca single shot 22 she's welcome to shoot as much as she wants. That may be a better gun for her to learn some basics with. I'll bring it.

I believe so too. The AR style front sights may be a little much for a first time shooter. Even with the stock collapsed, I think its a little long for her too. I just remembered, when she likes to hold it, as I was trying to teach her the basics, she likes the magazine out. I just realized, that long mag would most likely be in the way even for her using the bench.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I'll bring a 22 caliber Buckmark pistol for her to shoot. You'll both need range passes. Eyes and ears are always recommended.

Dress warmly. There will be wind and lots of slush.

Funny you mention a pistol. Lastnight she said she wanted to shoot one, and she wished I had one lol. I think she'd enjoy it.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Also, I would have sent this in a message but I cant remember how to send a message to multiple people at once.

Last edited:

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    ...how to send a message to multiple people at once...to transport an AR

PM one person & then add other addressees by separating them with semicolons (";")

Just unload your AR; empty handgun must be holstered or encased.

From NRAILA:

"Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
    Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
    While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
    By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person."

4570inMD

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I'd like to thank everyone who attended today and made an effort to ensure my daughter had a great first day of shooting. I was and am real impressed at how she done. At first I was a little worried on how I was gonna show her and teach her, while having her gather it all in. Then 4570 stepped in, and it all fell into place. I thought it was gonna be harder than it was.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Quad,

You and your daughter are welcome any time especially with such a good learning attitude.

At only 10 years, she has a while before she will be buying her own equipment and ammunition but look how many years experience she could have before joining her high school shooting team.

I am sure that I can safely say that the Hooligans will do all we can to assist her becoming a excellent, safe shooter.

4570inMD

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    We are glad that you two made it up. The smile on her face tells me she had a good time.

She did indeed!! Thanks again for the help with her and of course the pink ear covers lol. Her and her sisters think theyre cute lol. Now to try and keep up with her love to spend .22 ammo lol.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Quad,

You and your daughter are welcome any time especially with such a good learning attitude.

At only 10 years, she has a while before she will be buying her own equipment and ammunition but look how many years experience she could have before joining her high school shooting team.

I am sure that I can safely say that the Hooligans will do all we can to assist her becoming a excellent, safe shooter.

4570inMD

Thanks for the compliments!! She really gets into whatever she likes. I could see her keeping up with this shooting. I do know she was pretty worn out on the way home. Said she wasnt feeling real well. Not sure if she was hungry, or just tired, but she dozed off real quick. Made for a long lonely ride home lol. Shes fine now, so I assume she was just tired, but that huge greasy slim jim couldnt have helped lol.

Not sure if Mountain Ridge School has anything for shooting or not. Not real sure if there are any shooting groups or anything around neither. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom