• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Okay . . . (whew!)

It was early in the am, I didn't have time to do a profile etc..
    (I didn't go away, I cannot access this site from work due to filters.)
    I am grateful to those who have added additional info on the subject and for the positive responses. (It was not my intention to start a ruckus.) I have looked into air rifles, and there is apparently a very powerful .50 cal. available (it's really ugly), but I'm a DIY guy, and would like to make the suppressor. It would get use shooting off the back porch also. This is just one of my current potential pet projects.

FYI I am a long time MD based precision shooter but for some reason was not aware of this website.
    I am looking forward to learning and contributing on this site.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Okay . . . (whew!)

I am grateful to those who have added additional info on the subject and for the positive responses. (It was not my intention to start a ruckus.) I have looked into air rifles, and there is apparently a very powerful .50 cal. available (it's really ugly), but I'm a DIY guy, and would like to make the suppressor. It would get use shooting off the back porch also. This is just one of my current potential pet projects.

FYI I am a long time MD based precision shooter but for some reason was not aware of this website.

Welcome to MDSHooter, we can be harsh to newcomers that ask questions like yours as a first post. No harm, no fowl, given that we are an open forum (anyone can read 95% of the threads without needing to log in), we try (sometime too hard) to ensure that folks asking questions are on the up and up (like yourself).

Again, welcome to the group, enjoy your stay, hop into more threads that peak your interest.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Okay . . . (whew!)

Ok, so we are clear: you dont really want a supressor "for varmint shooting." You want a "fun" home based project with a lot of paperwork including fingerprints. In one year you may, or may not, shoot varmints. My guess will be not so much. But yes, suppressors are "fun." The paperwork, not.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Now "quotes" attributed to me that I did not state. And "wants" attributed to me that are fantasy.
    What is with you all????
    I am truly sorry I asked a simple question.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Now "quotes" attributed to me that I did not state. And "wants" attributed to me that are fantasy.
    What is with you all????

It was humor. A (LEGAL) home based supressor project may be fun, you need no further justification around here than "because **** you Frosh." You dont really need to pretend youll actually use it for something practical.

Keep in mind that around here, if you cannot laugh at yourself, you won't get most of the jokes.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for the info. I'll get on it.

"Interesting 1st post....again. huh."
    "It seems as if there is a cyclical pattern at play here."

Did I post this in the past???? I thought I had just found this website. And I searched for suppressor info and found almost nothing.

Unwad the undergarments, crikey.

Spend enough time on here and you will become like us too. You will realize that there are some things that trip the spidey senses, but n00bs get butthurt over the slightest thing. Get the lay of the land before you go ballistic, you might find an easier way to get the information you desire.

Also when 3 long time members say the things they did, there is a reason for it, but you may not know it till you ask or spend more time on the forum.

To Welder person

The purpose of my post is to assist me in LEGALLY doing this project. (See original post.)
    I have NO INTEREST in committing a federal felony for a suppressor. Or any other firearms related offense.

Yea, you didn't want to do that to welder person...

Also, there is a quote button. Learn to use it and love it.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Turning back to the merits since OP doesn't seem to be narc... See you have to pay the 200 and same paperwork and same wait whether you build your own or buy new factory. Given that suppressors esp 22 are generally selling on low markups, might as well spend some more and get something that will work better.
    Also I don't know what kind of metalworking tools you have, but most likely you'll spend more than the cost of the suppressor on tooling.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Interesting 1st post....again. huh.

I remembered that my first post was also about how to make a suppressor. I’ve come a long way since then and made 2 plus brought one.

Time flies when you are having fun. Oh correction, ATF took 14 months to process my form 1’s.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    So the easiest way now to do the paperwork is to get the silencer shop unlimited single trust then do a Form1 suppressor on their Kiosk?

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    What is with you all????

You mentioned that, "I would like a suppressor to take care of some varmints on a property close to houses"

OBVIOUSLY make sure you are within the law on the "close to houses" part.....

Don't take offense to the skepticism here, it was learned the hard way. This forum is a group of patriotic, law abiding Americans TRYING to SAFELY exercise a god granted right in a state that hates them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    So the easiest way now to do the paperwork is to get the silencer shop unlimited single trust then do a Form1 suppressor on their Kiosk?

Silencer shop Kiosk IMO is the easiest way to part with your money and complete the paperwork- any of the various forms. I do not think that the trust option is any easier than individual options these days.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Silencer shop Kiosk IMO is the easiest way to part with your money and complete the paperwork- any of the various forms. I do not think that the trust option is any easier than individual options these days.

Is it not easy to add another person to the silencershop individual trust once the stamp comes through?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I have looked into air rifles, and there is apparently a very powerful .50 cal. available (it's really ugly), but I'm a DIY guy, and would like to make the suppressor.

So I would double check with the ATF because I am not a lawyer. I believe permanently attached sound moderators to the end of a air rifle (gamma whisper) or black power firearm (ie maxim 50) are not considered silencers because they cannot be used on an actual firearm regulated by the ATF. Those would be two examples of suppressed weapons that are not regulated in this state. However some states have more restrictions.

Welcome btw.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome !

Build vs Buy depends on your preference . Do you enjoy designing and buildings , or just want to shoot quieter rimfire ?

Trust vs Individual is no longer the no brainer it used to be , but there still are differences that may or may not be relevant to you .

And then there's the implied question as to if you can legally shoot from your back porch/ near other houses . But that's worthy of its own thread .

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    LOL, KRC don't take offense to some of the posts. Imagine having a new girl friend, a redneck, you go out to meet some of her friends, its in a field, there is a pallet fire (one every week) people very boisterous, shotguns going off, fireworks, big friggin trucks, mud, etc. you will understand at that point there is a proper etiquette needed to join in on the fun! So I say:
    "Hold my beer and watch this shit!"

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I’m not sure why it’s such a big deal to people on here what kind of questions you ask for information. WhT difference does it make on a post count. We are all on here for the same reasons and for people to bash someone on a legal way to do something based on a post count is crazy. It just seems like a lot of people have high post counts just by trolling to give people a hard time. This is a great place to gain knowledge but it pisses me off to see this day in and day out.

Correction not everyone on this public forum is in favor of guns, the second amendment, or other values most of us share. It is known some visitors and possibly a few members are firmly anti gun, and some government agencies gather Intel from reading the posts here. Not everyone here has good intentions and since there is no background check nor hearings to vet the people who come here the only way to judge someones truth or sincerity is through their postings and long time active members are particularly sensitive to some posting patterns that they have observed in the past.

Yes some high post count people are trolls but we know they are trolls and can use the ignore feature to block their posts if we choose. Others are highly respected by the community and the rest of us are somewhere in between. Generally we welcome new members who come here and want to become participating members of the community.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And we have a high percentage that actually know each other in real life, compared to typical internet group .

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    OP:

What you need to do is to file a Form 1 (permission to make an NFA firearm) with the ATF and pay them a $200 tax. Then you wait for about nine months for them to do a background check, and they'll return your Form 1 to you with a tax stamp on it. Then and ONLY then you can start making your suppressor. If you have any suppressor parts in your possession ahead of when you get the stamp back then you have broken the law.

There are a great many guides out there on how to do this process.

Maryland has no specific laws about suppressors.

There's nothing "bad idea" about it.

He asked how to do it legally, and there are TONS of people on this forum who have already done what he's asking. Nothing "bad" about it. It's just expensive and takes a while.

Jesus, he's asking a question. It's not trolling.

Guys, we all need to tone it down a bit with the whole thing where everyone jumps to crucify a new account who comes here and asks a question. That is literally what forums like this are for in the first place.

Exactly. There weren’t any edits of his post! He clearly asked how to do it legally. And guess what? Making a homemade suppressor is legal here, provided you follow the correct steps.

I get the suspicion around new members, but holy sh*t people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    And we have a high percentage that actually know each other in real life, compared to typical internet group .

Good point. One of the best ways to have genuine discourse is in person. Once you’ve met someone in real life good manners and some latitude of opinion seem to carry into forum discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom