• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've seen a few people fire suppressed using the red RTV silicone to seal up the charging handle.

It works, may not be very pleasing to the eye, but it does work.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    AR's with no F.A. is a BAD thing. If the Bolt is locked partially out of battery with a popped primer inside, your gun is done till you have a workbench.

I dont think the Silicone Trick works nearly as good as a gas buster.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    AR's with no F.A. is a BAD thing. If the Bolt is locked partially out of battery with a popped primer inside, your gun is done till you have a workbench.

I dont think the Silicone Trick works nearly as good as a gas buster.

It's not AS effective as the gas buster, but it's definitely an improvement over just a standard charging handle when running suppressed.

I look at it as a band-aid solution until a better suited solution is employed.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Also I don't see why you couldn't just drill a stock charging handle to direct the gasses to the right side of the gun. Combine that with the RTV and you've got something.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    I decided to try the silicone since it was only 5 bucks, I figure it'll do until I can find a reasonably priced charging handle. And I think ill follow Chad's advice and not get the gas vent but I'm curious how often a popped primer happens; I've been reading about the forward assist and it seems like 90% of people say they never use it and I was wondering if the people with slick side uppers are screwed if it happens?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can say I've had to use the F.A. a few times over my brief time with the AR, typically because the charging handle was rode instead of using the bolt-catch.

Can't say I've had a popped primer on factory ammo, but I have had them with reloads - granted they were loaded a touch hot though. :o

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    you spent all that money on the paperwork, gun and suppressor, and now are going to skimp on a charging handle? Buy once, cry once and do it right.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    wouldn't a windowed magazine provide plenty of space for gasses to escape?

I don't think it'd work as you imagine.

My reasoning - the gas would have to make a near 90 degree turn down to evacuate out of the windowed mag, suppressor basically increases gas pressure and velocity - therefore (to me anyways) the gas is going to follow the path of least resistance towards the back of the receiver and look for the easiest way out of the receiver - namely the charging handle slot.

Of course, IANAG or a physicist, but that's my thought process. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If the gun isnt beat up or worn then it really hasnt held up against anything significant. Factory Chargers bend too when used harshly, where PRI and BCM dont because they are designed better.

You guys knock yourself out with it. I think its hilariois to see people cheaping out after going through the NFA process.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If the gun isnt beat up or worn then it really hasnt held up against anything significant. Factory Chargers bend too when used harshly, where PRI and BCM dont because they are designed better.

You guys knock yourself out with it. I think its hilariois to see people cheaping out after going through the NFA process.

If it's just a band-aid fix till they pick up a properly designed charging handle - I could excuse that, but as a long-term solution, there's better options, albeit they're not as cheap as RTV silicone.

I don't have a suppressor, so it doesn't matter to me what someone else does with their stuff. :)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Lord Chad how would you feel handling a "redneck" NFA build. I'm thinking when I turn 21. Oil filter suppressor and RTVed charging handle. Compared to your YHM can. It'd be worth the laughs.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lord Chad how would you feel handling a "redneck" NFA build. I'm thinking when I turn 21. Oil filter suppressor and RTVed charging handle. Compared to your YHM can. It'd be worth the laughs.

As long as the oil filter adaptor is properly NFA stamped im all good. :D

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    A company makes them for NFA registration. It's like 75 bucks. So how do we do this? And is this a bet kind of deal?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The new BCM charging handles look like they may do the job.
    There was a thread with some pics posted here. It looks like they have a little lip that may divert gas away from your face. I got one of those for my suppressed 9mm build. Haven't shot it yet......still waiting for a couple of parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom