• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I have only experimented with one powder so far which is dropping around +/- two tenths of a grain accuracy with the Hornady measure. I have found that by adjusting the upper and lower limits very close to each other I can catch drops over an additional three tenths +/-. So basically +/- 1/2 a grain without false alarms.

P7180028.jpg

P7180035.jpg

P7180033.jpg

Last edited:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Tried this out with Clays Powder and was able to set the alarm limits at +/- .3 grains without false alarms. Very happy with that. Made a new plunger which will work on calibers in the 9mm~.41 range.

P7300009.jpg

P7300014.jpg

Last edited:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    The main component is this precision linear travel potentiometer that I've had in my junk box for ages. Way too expensive to buy for a project like this but I saw it and gave me the idea for this build.

The top two adjustment pots on the control box adjust the high and low limits for the alarm and don't need to be fooled with once set. The only adjustment when changing calibers is the knurled brass nut which sets the height of the unit to match the case length and powder charge. The bottom pot is a volume adjustment for the beeper.

With the worst metering powders I have used, extruded and large flake, I have the alarm window set to +/- .4 grains. Any closer and I get false alarms. I haven't tried any good metering fine ball powder yet but I'm sure the window could be tightened up even more but probably not necessary.

PB210016.jpg

P7170001 (2).jpg

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Awesome job! I still don't trust myself with my powder charge and constantly checking. Too bad those potentiometer cost too much if there was an alternative model I'd buy one from you.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Awesome job! I still don't trust myself with my powder charge and constantly checking. Too bad those potentiometer cost too much if there was an alternative model I'd buy one from you.

Thanks for the compliment. There are other powder checkers out there that don't cost very much although I don't have any experience with them. Hornady has a simple rod with an o-ring that you can watch and RCBS has one that will lock up your press if the charge is off too much. The Dillon can be adapted to other presses with kits but it takes some mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom