• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Home Depot Parole location was once Hechinger's -- a once proud, locally owned DC regional chain that rocked for decades. Then, Hechingers management lost interest/became decadent, incompetent, whatever, and lost their market share to Home Depot and Lowes, and eventually went "out."

Local lore is that Home Depot wanted to shut Lowes out of Annapolis when Hechinger expired, so when Hechinger finally succumbed to its own lethargy, HD took over the relatively small Parole location as a second Annapolis store, solely to preclude Lowes establishing a footprint, despite their larger, better location on Defense Highway just a mile away. Where else do you see two Home Depot's within a mile of each other?

Bottom line: The skilled personnel resources who can help you with your home solution are at the Defense Highway location. If you need a light bulb or furnace filter, or another "self service" item, go to Parole.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    First salesman, Joe, refuses to get off his lazy ass to inspect/measure my door. He prints up an invoice and I see that he has entered the info incorrectly once again.
    Heh. I know Joe from Parole Home Depot. Great guy. Sorry about your issues there.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Ha. Before HD, that used to be a Hechengers where I worked while in college. That HD store is horrible because it was only put there to keep Lowes out. Originally Lowes was going after that spot but somehow HD got it in addition to their original location. I can't imagine they turn a profit out of that store

Fun fact: Do you know why that parking lot is sloped so deep? Used to be a drive in movie theater there. Then an Arlen's store, then the Hechengers

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The manager on duty is the one that placed the order last time.

There is only one Manager on Duty for the whole store. A lot of times someone asks to see the manager, they get the manager of that section of the store, especially if they think they're going to get in trouble.

The store manager, general manager, or manager on duty all are store wide positions, and each of them should be capable of getting your stuff done.

If not, then that place is mismanaged, and you definitely SHOULD call corporate, because that's ridiculous

Scratch

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 18, 2013
    Annapolis
    Fun fact: Do you know why that parking lot is sloped so deep? Used to be a drive in movie theater there.

md-annapolis-colonial-1.jpg

http://www.driveins.org/md-annapolis-colonial.htm

I remember the old indoor Plaza theater (where Outback's is now); the drive-in was gone before we moved to AACO. I used to work at the Britt's at Parole Plaza.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    There is only one Manager on Duty for the whole store. A lot of times someone asks to see the manager, they get the manager of that section of the store, especially if they think they're going to get in trouble.

The store manager, general manager, or manager on duty all are store wide positions, and each of them should be capable of getting your stuff done.

If not, then that place is mismanaged, and you definitely SHOULD call corporate, because that's ridiculous

thats funny. When I originally asked for a manager, the first Joe (from the Dept), said "You want a manager, ok, you'll like this", in a snarky tone. he originally called for the dept manager. she was busy and the MOD, Joe, showed up. almost like he was hoping the dept manager would come and be on his side.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep, you need to go to the right Home Depot. Around me, the service at the Ellicott City Home Depot SUCKS compared to that in Eldersburg. The only time I stop at the one in Ellicott City is when I need something mundane.

When I needed keys cut, I went to Eldersburg.
    Black pipe cut and threaded, Eldersburg.
    New John Deere lawn tractor for my dad, tried Ellicott City and the salesman left us standing there for over 15 minutes while he went to look for the tractor. Went to Eldersburg and they helped us load the tractor in the truck.

It is night and day. I will not even stop in at the Home Depot on Cherry Lane in Silver Spring or the one in Aspen Hill. Germantown isn't much better either, if at all.

Shawball19

Nov 2, 2013
    Edgewater, Md
    I am a manufacturers rep with in the exterior building products industry and I would recommend never buying special order products from a big box. Nothing against them and I just returned from the HD you referenced so I too shop there. If you need to order doors,windows, specialty products I suggest going the following distributors. Lansing building products, The Roof Center, ABC supply, Alside supply and Mid SouthBuilding supply. These companies service the entire state of md from end to end. Just my two cents and this helps. John

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    any possibility that the sidelight comes 1" narrow to account for the mullion and refit?

its typical for new construction windows and doors to be one size, and replacement windows and doors to be 1-2" smaller depending in the brand.

a 1" difference within the margin of error to go ahead and install.

I do agree that store sucks. I went there once. it was like a different country.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    any possibility that the sidelight comes 1" narrow to account for the mullion and refit?

its typical for new construction windows and doors to be one size, and replacement windows and doors to be 1-2" smaller depending in the brand.

a 1" difference within the margin of error to go ahead and install.

I do agree that store sucks. I went there once. it was like a different country.

No. The sidelight is hinged. It's one single opening/frame with 3 "doors" ( 2 sidelights and a center entrance).

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I must be missing something....why are you replacing the entire sidelight instead of just the broken glass?

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    I must be missing something....why are you replacing the entire sidelight instead of just the broken glass?

it is one piece of glass with fake grilles. we had a glass place come out and said that there is no way to match it 100%. being a $2,000 door, it needs to match.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Funny....I've found that one to be far superior to the one on Defense Highway. :shrug:

Don't know too much about the 'special order' mis-measurement issue OP described, but I work in Annapolis and usually go to the one on Defense Highway because they seem to be better stocked than Parole.

I don't like the one at Southdale, either....same reason: Ordinance Road usually has more variety and more likely to have what you want/need in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom