• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    You tend to get what you pay for... This will probably cause a firestorm, but I don't find the 870 to be reliable enough for me to be willing to depend on it as a HD firearm. Just one guy's opinion though.

ericeng91

Feb 27, 2012
    Severn
    I bought a Pardner Protector - 18" barrel from Dick's last year for $180. Cheap as dirt, and feels pretty solid. More or less an 870, but from what I've read, the Pardner is a little better quality. Not sure how much I trust the word of other forum's out there, but the thing hasn't had anything go wrong yet.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    When it comes to buying gun's, if you anything like me just grab the first one that you can afford and that is available. Reason being, in a few month's youll be back to buy another. I have my eye on a shotgun that hold's 7 in the tube, but today I picked up an 870 wingmaster that holds 4. There is a nice mossberg on the classifieds right now.

You can get mag extension tubes for the Rem and several Moss models to add room for plenty of shells.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I bought a Pardner Protector - 18" barrel from Dick's last year for $180. Cheap as dirt, and feels pretty solid. More or less an 870, but from what I've read, the Pardner is a little better quality. Not sure how much I trust the word of other forum's out there, but the thing hasn't had anything go wrong yet.

The nice thing about these is you can get a tube extender for an 870 and it will work with your shotgun. You need to take the dimples out of the original tube, then you can add a +4 or +6 to your shotgun.

capac2727

Aug 23, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    I recently purchased a Remington 887 nitromag w/ 18.5" barrel.

The main reasons I chose it were the ArmorLokt finish, a 2 shell extension tube standard, and the ability to fire 2.75", 3.0", and 3.5" shells. I haven't put a ton of rounds through it yet but so far I absolutely love it. If you search for reviews on this gun you will probably find a lot of people that had quality issues when the gun was first put on the market but it seems that these issues have been resolved. As far as personal experience, I haven't had ANY trouble with mine at all.

geichel

May 4, 2012
    Perry Hall, Md
    Not to hijack from the op, any thoughts on the remmington 887

I have some 870's and an 887 there all great guns...I got the 887 for the price and because it shoots 3.5 inch shells...I suggest the 870 for HD because you can usually find a good used one for a good price

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Can anyone reccomend a good 12 gauge shotgun that is reasonably priced

In racing, we have a saying "don't take anything to the track that you can't afford to leave at the track" (as in a total-loss crash)

I won't use anything for home defense that I can't bear to watch the police take with them in an investigation if I ever had to use it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    In racing, we have a saying "don't take anything to the track that you can't afford to leave at the track" (as in a total-loss crash)

I won't use anything for home defense that I can't bear to watch the police take with them in an investigation if I ever had to use it.

So you don't recommend the Krieghoff Tactical shotgun then.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You tend to get what you pay for... This will probably cause a firestorm, but I don't find the 870 to be reliable enough for me to be willing to depend on it as a HD firearm. Just one guy's opinion though.

Lots of people would disagree. If you've got really high standards, you can always buy a beat up 870 and ship it off to wilson combat to have redone. You'll end up with a damned fine fighting shotgun that should be good enough for just about anyone.

CStuard

Sep 8, 2012
    Be carefull w/ some of the Mossberg 500s. You can't replace the tube w/o replacing the barrel also.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I don't understand how any pump shotgun would be unreliable, besides getting a lemon like the extractor broke after minimal round count, or something like that. It is my understanding that there is not much that can go wrong.

Current production 870 Express has numerous complaints on message boards about the chamber being rough when new, so people tweak it smooth.... you shouldn't have to do that, but it is what it is. Buy a Mossberg if someone thinks that sucks.

"My ____ eats everything" makes me lol. Of course it does, you manipulate the bolt manually to feed and eject the hulls, and usually all modern day shotguns have strong enough firing system to ignite all primers.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    I took the inexpensive route and got a Stevens 320 from Dicks. Shoots fine for my HD purposes. Not exactly a collectors dream, but fills my need for a house gun.

Almost bought one but then read quite a few reviews citing weak spot welds and failure of the action to lock up.

Got an American made Maverick 88 for about the same $$$ vs Chinese made.

YMMV

jhartmac

Jan 7, 2007
    Virginia/maryland
    For a bit more got with the 930 SPX ...........WOW is all I can say I love mine it s ready to go as is..........semi, tactical, 18.5" barrel, youtube it............its one bad mofo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom