• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    What's the point of a W&C class if you don't learn and practice technique drawing from a holster? We drilled that dry fire in the classroom and live fire in the range prior to the qualification.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    What's the point of a W&C class if you don't learn and practice technique drawing from a holster? We drilled that dry fire in the classroom and live fire in the range prior to the qualification.
    Does drawing factor into pass/fail or is pass/fail solely on hitting the target the minimal times?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Does drawing factor into pass/fail or is pass/fail solely on hitting the target the minimal times?
    As Eric said, there is NOTHING pass/fail regarding drawing.
    Several instructors and past students have tried to explain in most MD W&C classes the holster and drawing is done as a classroom exercise to teach safety and IS GENERALLY NOT DONE ON THE RANGE AND IS NOT PART OF THE REQUIRED SHOOTING QUALIFICATION.

If you are only looking to 'check the box' don't look for a class that includes it.
    If you are looking for a class that is worth the $150-$400+ and the 16 hours of wakefullness, look for one that includes it and other safety instruction.

-There is a reason every LEO cadet training program includes at least a variant of safe holster draw from concealment. If you don't know why this is important, YOU DO NEED THE TRAINING

Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Oh, I was asking I guess more in that specific case (rogue instructor). I can't remember the specifics, but I thought I read in one of these threads an instructor failing someone for something not specified by the state "curriculum."

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    No it does not. But IMO a good instructor will include it in at least the classroom portion, and better ones at the range too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom