• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Always on the hunt for .22 training rifles and pistols, I was fortunate to find US marked model 102 Tournament and HD High Standard pistols in the past. Still looking for other US marked HS pistols along with the elusive US marked Colt Woodsman MT (getting frustrated on that front).
    -Ran across a "local" auction in nearby WV where there was a nice CZ27 rig and this US military issue High Standard S-101 listed. Watched both and in the end settled on throwing a conservative bid on the HS. Got it for a bit under my max bid and enjoyed near perfect driving weather to pick it up.
    -The S-101 was part of the first generation of push button take-down High Standard pistols. Manufactured in the mid '50s for the Army, Air Force and USMC. Army and AF examples used the "US" stamp normally found on the left side receiver. Marine Corps examples are very rare and I've seen them with various markings on both left and right side of the receiver.
    -S-101 barrels came in 4.5" and 6.75" lengths and were dovetailed to support 2 or 3 oz weights. They also sported a pair of 45 deg muzzle ports to reduce muzzle rise.
    -Front and rear grip straps are serrated as is the trigger face and the top of the slide. Finish is a high polish blue on the barrel and slide sides with a matt blue finish on the slide top and receiver.
    -Production ran from 1954 until 1957 when the 102 series was released. This example was built in 1956. Haven't been able to find any production numbers for US marked examples but they're not crazy hard to find, easier than a US marked Ruger MkI. Expect to pay in the $500-650 range for one, similar to the later model 102 and 103 Supermatics.
    -As a tease there's another US military issued S-101 coming very soon that I found totally by accident right after winning this one. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMGP0261.JPG
      IMGP0261.JPG
      174.2 KB · Views: 40
    • IMGP0262.JPG
      IMGP0262.JPG
      222.9 KB · Views: 41
    • IMGP0263.JPG
      IMGP0263.JPG
      147.5 KB · Views: 37
    • IMGP0264.JPG
      IMGP0264.JPG
      158.9 KB · Views: 39
    • IMGP0266.JPG
      IMGP0266.JPG
      145.6 KB · Views: 38
    • IMGP0267.JPG
      IMGP0267.JPG
      296.6 KB · Views: 42

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I have a S -101 just like that.
    Wait till you shoot it.
    I seem to remember the Hamden pistols at right around 2000 for production numbers. 1952 maybe and then there was organizational changes for manufacturing in a different factory.
    It belonged to my cousin.
    He shot pistols for the Army and wound up with one gave it to my ma and then she to me decades ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom