• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Was cleaning a couple Mosins today and the huge lasered import mark is just plain ugly. So while I was oiling everything to put back together I spotted my bottle of Brownells cold blue on the back of the bench. Hmmm....

So I squirted the area w/ solvent to get the oils out, then hit it w/ the propane torch for a couple seconds to warm it up. Dabbed a bit of cold blue on a cotton ball and rubbed it on. Hmm, looks a lot better. The lasering raised the edges some which still makes it catch the light a bit. So I went and dug out a small sharpening stone and rubbed the area gently along the direction of the text. No, Im not grinding off the serial number! But it knocks off the sharp raised edges a little. Re-cleaned,heated,wiped. Now looks much better. Still visible, but not nearly as fugly as before. About the only thing you could do further would be to rub a black crayon in it or something.

I tried to take pics, but its hard w/ the lights downstairs. They are less visible than they appear in the pics in 'normal' light. To get them to show up, I tilted them towards the desk lamp a bit.

Attachments

• IMAG0691_coldblue_import_mark_800.jpg
      IMAG0691_coldblue_import_mark_800.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 212
    • IMAG0694_coldblue_import_mark_800.jpg
      IMAG0694_coldblue_import_mark_800.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 208

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have been wondering/asking about this for a while. Are import marks in the same category as a serial #? I would NEVER mess with a serial # and I know now some import marks include a new serial #. However, if the serial # is not part of the question can someone cite the law where it states that you can not remove them?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You can not remove or "deface" them. Bluing is not defacing. Markings are still crisp. Same as rebluing something like a 1911. Not illegal. Painting/Cerakoting a firearm (like a CZ pistol) can be an issue as it fills in and flows over the markings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom