Hi Viz and Fiber optic Sights, Love 'em or Hate 'em?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MachtSchnell

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    They came standard on my Ruger Mk III and I find them useless on anything past 20-25 yards. The front sight is so huge that it hogs up the majority of the sight picture on targets at 50-100 yards making it quite difficult to produce decent results.

I really don't want to put optics on the Hunter because it's heavy enough as is, and I really enjoy shooting irons. I'm thinking of purchasing a plain front blade sight and possibly filing/narrowing the front post to make a finer sight picture. If I decide to do any competition is this allowed?

Good idea or bad idea?
    I was thinking peep sights, but I don't think they will work well on a handgun for anything but bench rest shooting.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I dont like them because they break easily and often. The only time I think its ok to use them is if you have vision problems and it’s the only way you can see the sights.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Instead of modifying the original sight set, why don't you just purchase the target sights set from Ruger? Midwayusa seems to have a ton to choose from if you don't go directly from Ruger.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I was just thinking about this last weekend. I have the same gun (which I love), but I feel like I could be more precise with different sights. I was chalking it up to me probably not using them properly, so I'll be interested to see what other folks say. There's a review online where the guy absolutely loves the hi-viz sights on the Hunter. He talks about the sights in the 7th paragraph.

http://firearmfun.blogspot.com/2008/11/review-ruger-mark-iii-hunter.html

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I don't like them myself, too bright in strong light and I worry about breaking them.

I think they are a cheap way for the makers to put new things out rather than putting good, quality irons on things.

MachtSchnell

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    I do think that the fiber optic sights are good for quick close range target acquisition, especially on a long gun. But on a handgun punching paper at med-long distance there's no match for a fine set of iron sights.

It's great to hear everyone's input and opinions.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Love them. Anything over 25 Yds I switch to rifle so it doesn't matter to me how they work at longer ranges.
    DSCF9009.jpg

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I do think that the fiber optic sights are good for quick close range target acquisition, especially on a long gun. But on a handgun punching paper at med-long distance there's no match for a fine set of iron sights.

It's great to hear everyone's input and opinions.

I found out from the ruger forum that you can switch out the blade sight to a squared one (like on target models) without removing the whole rear sight - this is available to you on the Ruger site. Try that out before deciding to switch the front.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    They came standard on my Ruger Mk III and I find them useless on anything past 20-25 yards. The front sight is so huge that it hogs up the majority of the sight picture on targets at 50-100 yards making it quite difficult to produce decent results.

Love em... but then again, I rarely shoot pistols 50-100 yards.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I might give that a look as I seem to be more proficient with square cut rear sights than the v-notch style.

your thread got me researching too, I ordered that replacement RaVis mentioned. Surprisingly it was only about $2.50:thumbsup:

It can probably only be changed with a custom $50 tool :D

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I really like the visibility, but hate the fragility. I eventually removed the one that I had, despite being very satisfied with it.

I'm one of those guys who need a little help with the vision--but there are other ways that work just the same that don't rely on such a breakable part.

Gundahar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom