• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 15, 2013
    How can atlantic firearms sell 30 round mags ?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/mags.html

Simple- by not being in Maryland. I believe they're in Houston.

On the other hand, Atlantic Guns of Rockville/Silver Spring, MD cannot sell 30 round mags (unless they are selling them by mailing them out of state).

The unassembled mag tactic hasn't ever really been challenged- it's an assumed grey area. Several internet companies (like 44Mag.com) do this. But if you were ever to be caught/prosecuted trying it, I doubt it would offer you much protection. My guess is that any state trooper or local cop would laugh at you while he charged you.

Why take the risk?

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    Just do what I did, go visit a friend in PA, then goto your favorite site on the internet, (while in PA or state that allows you to purchase them) that has the magazines you want in stock purchase them, have them shipped to your friends house, revisit, pick up, then come back home. Completely legal!

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    There are plenty of sporting goods stores along our borders that will happily sell you all the magazines you want. Not sure what part of the state you are in but the members will help you find a shop to hook you up. Welcome to the forum.

neversatisfiedj

Apr 16, 2013
    Just do what I did, go visit a friend in PA, then goto your favorite site on the internet, (while in PA or state that allows you to purchase them) that has the magazines you want in stock purchase them, have them shipped to your friends house, revisit, pick up, then come back home. Completely legal!

So completely legal to own 30 round mags, so long as you dont buy them in MD ? I guess if you were ever questioned about them, you would have to present a reciept for purchase elsewhere.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So completely legal to own 30 round mags, so long as you dont buy them in MD ? I guess if you were ever questioned about them, you would have to present a reciept for purchase elsewhere.

As long you don't use it in a crime. You know like how regular criminals abide by the laws. Lol

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012

Yes completely legal until Oct 1st. After that you cannot "bring/transport" them into the state. What you have is what you have.

You can purchase all you want right now while you are out of the state and bring back in once you physically own them.

Last saturday I finally got my 4 pmags that i've been waiting on forever. I have a reciept of purchase with date along with proof that I "purchased" them in PA just for SNG's.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Simple- by not being in Maryland. I believe they're in Houston.

On the other hand, Atlantic Guns of Rockville/Silver Spring, MD cannot sell 30 round mags (unless they are selling them by mailing them out of state).

The unassembled mag tactic hasn't ever really been challenged- it's an assumed grey area. Several internet companies (like 44Mag.com) do this. But if you were ever to be caught/prosecuted trying it, I doubt it would offer you much protection. My guess is that any state trooper or local cop would laugh at you while he charged you.

Why take the risk?

The burden would be on the state to prove you manufactured a mag that increased your collection by at least one or that you did not use the parts to repair mags you already had. IF I assempled the parts kit in my basement with no windows and no one but me is home how does anyone find out?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The burden would be on the state to prove you manufactured a mag that increased your collection by at least one or that you did not use the parts to repair mags you already had. IF I assempled the parts kit in my basement with no windows and no one but me is home how does anyone find out?

umm.. you just did told the wondering eyes... :lol2: :innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes completely legal until Oct 1st. After that you cannot "bring/transport" them into the state. What you have is what you have.

You can purchase all you want right now while you are out of the state and bring back in once you physically own them.

Last saturday I finally got my 4 pmags that i've been waiting on forever. I have a reciept of purchase with date along with proof that I "purchased" them in PA just for SNG's.

please cite the law.. :rolleyes:

nothing in the sb281 mentioned about bring/transport of "standard" size mags. :innocent0

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena

B.G.O.S

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

nothing in the sb281 mentioned about bring/transport of "standard" size mags. :innocent0

Yeah there is nothing in there about no being able to bring them into the state...

"
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than [20] 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.
    "

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013

We don't need misinformation in this thread. What are you trying to do, give somebody a heart attack?

Yeah there is nothing in there about no being able to bring them into the state...

"
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than [20] 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.
    "

^^^Correct^^^. I've even gone so far as to take a GPS photo of where I acquired them out of state just as an extra CYA measure.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ^^^Correct^^^. I've even gone so far as to take a GPS photo of where I acquired them out of state just as an extra CYA measure.

I wish people would stop this CYA crap... people start doing it and then everyone feels like they must. Then we all feel the need to prove everything we do is legal putting us on the defense.

If you have a mag over 20rds in MD, its assumed you bought it before the ban or bought it out of state. NO NEED to prove anything. Just don't be stupid and transfer them in state. Its just to easy not to have to risk it...

Apr 15, 2013

You're right- no one is going to catch you. But don't mistake this for being recognized by the state as a valid interpretation of the law.

If you were somehow caught receiving a box containing all the parts for a new 30rd magazine, I can't imagine that a state prosecutor would fail to successfully find you guilty of violating the law- regardless of whatever other magazine parts you had or what you advertised your intentions as.

It's very difficult to imagine how you're going to get caught this way. But it you were to be, I doubt that the fig leaf of "I was simply repairing other mags I already had" would offer you any real protection.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I wish people would stop this CYA crap... people start doing it and then everyone feels like they must. Then we all feel the need to prove everything we do is legal putting us on the defense.

Well, I live in Presumed Guilty county MD, so forgive me if I choose to take extra precautions against an overzealous and more often than not, abusive police department. We have our own wiki entry dedicated exclusively to their actions. This is just the most recent example and while I wouldn't balk at the settlement, having to go through anything like that would be very disruptive to my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom