• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to all this. I know Maryland restricts AR magazine capacity to ten rounds, that it is illegal to sell higher capacity AR mags here in the state. My question is: is it illegal to own one? Reason being I found a couple of old milsurp 20's I had from 30+ years ago. Should I dispose of them quietly or just keep them in a drawer for a "rainy day"? What happens if perchance I'm caught with them?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Perfectly legal to possess and use in the state. You may not buy, transfer, sell, or offer them for sale within the state. Go to Virginia and buy as many as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You're new to all this AR stuff AND you have a couple of 20 round AR mags from 30+ years ago?

DNCWR

PS: 20s are not illegal to own and use. Just can't buy or sell them in Not-So-Maryland.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    You're new to all this AR stuff AND you have a couple of 20 round AR mags from 30+ years ago?

DNCWR

PS: 20s are not illegal to own and use. Just can't buy or sell them in Not-So-Maryland.

Yeah, new to the current rules/regs concerning ownership of AR stuff in Maryland. My previous experience was with an early Colt SP-1 when I lived in Pennsylvania back in the 80's- long ago in a galaxy far away. Until my recent AR purchase, I hadn't concerned myself much with what has transpired.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to all this. I know Maryland restricts AR magazine capacity to ten rounds, that it is illegal to sell higher capacity AR mags here in the state. My question is: is it illegal to own one? Reason being I found a couple of old milsurp 20's I had from 30+ years ago. Should I dispose of them quietly or just keep them in a drawer for a "rainy day"? What happens if perchance I'm caught with them?

A member since 2009? You should spend more time on the Forum during the 2012 and the lead up to October 2013 we could have used you in Annapolis and making calls to Miller,Busch,Brown O'Malley.
    Insert head shake and face palm here.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    A member since 2009? You should spend more time on the Forum during the 2012 and the lead up to October 2013 we could have used you in Annapolis and making calls to Miller,Busch,Brown O'Malley.

People leave forums for different reasons. Don't judge.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    And that's why I have long gaps in my participation here. You ask a simple question and get cynical answers from know-it-alls who jump to conclusions more often than not. Sheesh!

And for your info, not that I care, I was firmly in place on the grounds of the capital during those halcyon days, signing petitions, lending my voice to the crowd cheers, emailing and phone calling my reps, and waited patiently for a chance to testify which never came because I had to leave to get back to work to appease my boss. Being aware of, but not conversant in, the restrictions that came about concerning AR ownership, isn't a crime the last I heard.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    And that's why I have long gaps in my participation here. You ask a simple question and get cynical answers from know-it-alls who jump to conclusions more often than not. Sheesh!

And for your info, not that I care, I was firmly in place on the grounds of the capital during those halcyon days, signing petitions, lending my voice to the crowd cheers, emailing and phone calling my reps, and waited patiently for a chance to testify which never came because I had to leave to get back to work to appease my boss. Being aware of, but not conversant in, the restrictions that came about concerning AR ownership, isn't a crime the last I heard.

This can be a rough crowd. Sometimes they don't think before hitting "enter". There's a lot of anger here because of the restrictions put upon them.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Own em, use em, Shoot em at the range! perfectly legal for you to have and use. Just do not sell them within the state lines to anyone else.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD

Was out looking for his sense of humor...

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore

Thank you you for standing with all us of that were there in defense of the 2A :beer:

Don't let some of the grouchy guys on here get you down, there are plenty of other good folks on here.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Go to the range, any range in Maryland, and you'll see plenty of people using standard capacity magazines. 30 round mags in ARs, 15 and 17 round mags in handguns, all legal.

Possession and use is legal, transfer of ownership is not. So we buy them out of state, and only for our own personal use.

And welcome back, by the way.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I saw some 100 round mini-14 mags at X-Ring Supply in Delaware last week it made me wish I had one just so I could buy the mag to flaunt MD Political Masters.

crazybird

Clandestines Wife
    Oct 3, 2009
    Cecil County

Having thick skin is pretty much a prerequisite to joining any online forum or group. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the truth.

I thought you asked a perfectly normal question.

Not everyone is an expert on all the gun laws from every state.

Don't let this keep you from joining in the conversations or posting questions in the future.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Having thick skin is pretty much a prerequisite to joining any online forum or group. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the truth.

Don't let this keep you from joining in the conversations or posting questions in the future.

^^^This. First rule here is there are no stupid questions except the ones you don't ask. If you are capable, don't hesitate to return snark.:)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    This can be a rough crowd. Sometimes they don't think before hitting "enter". There's a lot of anger here because of the restrictions put upon them.

Thank you you for standing with all us of that were there in defense of the 2A :beer:

Don't let some of the grouchy guys on here get you down, there are plenty of other good folks on here.

^^^This. First rule here is there are no stupid questions except the ones you don't ask. If you are capable, don't hesitate to return snark.:)

OP,

Don't take any of it personal...

You posted a question... Legit or not legit is the question that the members here must ask. We the membership have been assaulted with barrage after barrage of posers who come here to troll and cause issues. After being stung a few times... folks tend to get a bit salty in their tendency to protect what we have left.

Stick around and post enough, and you to will start seeing "patterns" which cause a pause and a question or three.

Peace... and again... Nothing personal... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom