• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Unless you have an extreme aversion to Herter's steel case, I'd recommend you try it. I won the pistol part of a Mayberry match with it and don't hesitate to shoot it at all. YMMV

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I gotta laff everytime someone passes because of steel casing or corrosive. More for me I guess. My firearms have no aversion and I feed them with whatever.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Unless you have an extreme aversion to Herter's steel case, I'd recommend you try it. I won the pistol part of a Mayberry match with it and don't hesitate to shoot it at all. YMMV

Some folks are not so fond of replacing extractors in their guns because of steel on steel wear... And then there is the fact that the steel does not expand in the chamber as well as brass does... And that allows more buildup of carbon in the chambers which can cause cases to hang when they do fire brass later...

At least that is what I have been able to find out so far... My cousin hates it because he bought a box and took it on an ATV woods trek for a week... two days later the cases were rusted and he did not want the stuff in his gun.

YRMV

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I've shot plenty of steel cased 9mm in one of my Glock 34's and do notice more carbon fouling in the chamber and extractor but have yet to have extractor issues. I think I bought a spare extractor for less than the cost of a 50 round box of ammo, but haven't had to put it in. I get the steel on steel wear but is this issue really something the average guy going to the range 1-2x a month on a good month has to worry about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    The brass version shot well. One piece still lodged in atv foot peg

Attachments

• IMG_1952 2.jpg
      IMG_1952 2.jpg
      250.8 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts