Heritage Training Center Not Doing Well??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    New memberships up on the HTC website. I reserved the year long one. There are several choices.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Interesting model. At first glance, pricier than TMGN ($480/year vs $300/year), which might push fence sitters to TMGN. But Heritage sweetens it by giving two free firearm rentals for any time you're there (with the proviso to use their ammo for their guns) and two 30 minute sessions per month in the sim lab.

Moreover, they have an a la carte monthly option of $49/month for unlimited shooting and the same extras as above. There is a one time initiation fee of $49 to do this. If one can take breaks over the course of the year (e.g. for heavy travel or busy work months), this has some appeal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I thought the same thing but with the adds it was definitely worth the extra $180. Plus, I really like HTC. If you do the unlimited shooting every three months it does come out to more than TMGN. So there would be a decision to make.

For me it was a no brainer, year long membership.

Troy1

May 27, 2016
    I thought the same thing but with the adds it was definitely worth the extra $180. Plus, I really like HTC. If you do the unlimited shooting every three months it does come out to more than TMGN. So there would be a decision to make.

For me it was a no brainer, year long membership.

I reserved the complete as well. A little steep but I really like heritage. Pilot did you get and email confirmation? For those who want to reserve online, you don't pay anything until you get there

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I did not. Did you?

I don't know if there is a limited number but I can't get there until after the 21st. I think you can sign up tomorrow online with a credit card.

Edit: I was able to steal away a minute to call them today and they said you can sign up online today (8/15) with a credit card. Unlimited memberships.

Last edited:

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I tried signing up again and there was no place for payment. I'm guessing the person I talked to was misinformed

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    c40c9e52864fb056480f03a0269392de.jpg

First shot with my first owned firearm at 10 yards. Has to be a good omen for the future.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Yes. Very happy with it. Cost an arm and a leg but I had to go big on my first purchase. Joined Heritage's membership program so I can rent till my heart's content. Next one will be a carry size. Then who knows. Need to start a firearm fund for myself and get a bigger safe.

Sheesh, I thought golf was an expensive hobby.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    For those who are interested in the memberships I was told the website is being worked on to be more functional for members. Such as signing up for classes, getting the info on discount firearms and ammo, etc...

Also if you are interested in the simulator classes they won't be available until Sept sometime.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yes. Very happy with it. Cost an arm and a leg but I had to go big on my first purchase. Joined Heritage's membership program so I can rent till my heart's content. Next one will be a carry size. Then who knows. Need to start a firearm fund for myself and get a bigger safe.

Sheesh, I thought golf was an expensive hobby.

Unless God himself blesses you with something, you will not get a carry permit in MD. A carry permit from another state that allows you to carry in some of the states that border MD, is well within the realm of possibility.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Just returned from my first trip to HTC and I was impressed by the facility and the employees. Very nice place that, you can tell, caters to new/beginning shooters. Compared to the crowds and the kid mayhem at The Machine Gun Nest, I'll take HTC for $5 more any day of the week. I didn't know it was practically within walking distance from my home until today.

The facility itself is almost...sterile. It reminds me a little of ESS in Manassas but on a smaller scale. While I waited to go thru my mandatory safety briefing, I wandered into the gun shop and it was clean and well-stocked. Good selection. Prices nothing to get excited about, though. Most everything either at or slightly above MSRP. Josh was friendly and personable. I didn't price any ammo as I already had plenty of 9mm with me but HTC claims they're competitively priced against Dick's and Wal-Mart.

Went thru the safety briefing and entered the gun rental area. This is where you get your targets, safety glasses and hearing protection if you don't have it. The plastic safety glasses were mandatory and fit comfortably over my own glasses. I'll tell ya what, they have an impressive selection of rental firearms. If you ever wanted to spend time comparing different brands, HTC would be a great place to do it.

I was just there to put a few thru my CZ 75B. I hadn't been shooting since Fourth of July weekend. I got my lane assignment and entered the range to find only 4 other shooters: a couple shooting their 1911's and another couple getting some training with their 9mm. The ventilation system is excellent. They use the same electronic target holders as the NRA range does. Lighting is good but not great. Still, better lit and better ventilated than most indoor ranges locally.

1s9gwmX.jpg
    VqnoK7f.jpg

15 yards, American Eagle 115 FMJ

The CZ was pretty much dead-nuts-on accurate like it usually is but, the 27 out of 30 shots in the red zone from 15 yards actually got the attention of HTC's staff. Two of them came over to ask what it was I was shooting and when they saw it was a bone-stock stainless 75B shooting the blue light special from Dick's Sporting Goods, I could see they were visibly impressed. Meh. It's just a normal trip to the range for that pistol. I've yet to shoot anything it doesn't like.

I'll go back to HTC. I'm thinking of doing a one year membership just because it's such a nice facility and so close to home. I know I'd get my money's worth in free gun rentals alone, even as much as I travel for a living. I give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I got my lane assignment and entered the range to find only 4 other shooters

And on a Saturday. I don't know what their break even point is but it's unnerving that every time I'm in there there is only ever 1 range needed and its usually half filled.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    And on a Saturday. I don't know what their break even point is but it's unnerving that every time I'm in there there is only ever 1 range needed and its usually half filled.

I know, right? TMGN looked like free Mountain Dew day at MVA at 3:30 this afternoon, with all the kids bouncing off the walls.

As much as they have obviously invested to make it a nice facility, you'd think they would be willing to aggressively promote and advertise it, at least, more than they seem to be doing? CypherPunk said they were advertising heavily on WFMD radio? Yikes. What a waste. Who listens to commercial FM radio these days? I dare say not the market that HTC is seeking, I don't care what their salesperson told them.

I knew all about TMGN from word-of-mouth and when they were actively promoting it on MDS. I knew literally nothing about HTC until this thread got started and then I realized, hell, it's less than a mile from my house! So, if you ask me, HTC should maybe re-think their marketing strategy. Targeting new and beginning shooters is good but, it's the veteran enthusiasts, like us, who will keep the lights on. How about some matches to win free range time and HTC shwag, stuff like that? I can't speak for anyone else but I would be 'in' for those types of events on the weekends.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I know, right? TMGN looked like free Mountain Dew day at MVA at 3:30 this afternoon, with all the kids bouncing off the walls.

That might be the problem right there. HTC doesn't allow anyone under 18. Altima18 stated as such.

However, we don't actually know if they are having trouble. Just the appearance of empty ranges on a Saturday makes the appearance they are.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I go to HTC any time I'm bringing a new shooter. But my biggest issue with HTC is no steel cased ammo so I cant bring most of my rifles. TMGN allow wolf and tulammo so I go there more often. Makes no sense for me to get a membership at a range I cant shoot most of my guns at.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I go to HTC any time I'm bringing a new shooter. But my biggest issue with HTC is no steel cased ammo so I cant bring most of my rifles. TMGN allow wolf and tulammo so I go there more often. Makes no sense for me to get a membership at a range I cant shoot most of my guns at.

Makes sense to me. I'm not a big fan of either Wolf or Tul ammo so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. I mostly shoot handguns these days - 9mm and .45 ACP - and HTC is a perfect place for me to do that. I prefer to shoot rifles on an outdoor range at distances of 100+ yards.

I really can't praise HTC's staff enough. While they tend to treat everyone like a beginner at first, once they see that you know what you're doing, they leave you alone. That is, unless you want help? If you want some coaching, the RSO is right there to provide it.

The couple next to me shooting their Glock were all over a silhouette target at 7 yards. I was like, damn, but I knew they were beginners. RSO went over and gave them a little instruction on proper stance, sight picture and trigger management and after the next couple of magazines, the groups they shot were significantly better. It's gotta be gratifying to see immediate results like that?

I think HTC's intent to market themselves to new shooters is a good idea but it shouldn't be their end-all-be-all purpose. HTC should be a place where experienced shooters can gather on a Saturday or Sunday morning to shoot a bowling pin match or whatnot for fun and a few prizes. If they start doing things like that, I'll fork-over a one year membership in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom