• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan

NRA Life Member MSI Supporter
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2007
    I work for the Federal Government and I'm about 7 months away from retirement.

My Boss and I have a very good professional relationship.
    He is VERY ANTI 2A no bones about it.

Here is my problem with the employer check I'm sure that he will truthfully answer the questions but I may come back as a contractor after retirement.

So if he gets the call from MSP that call could cost me thousands of dollars.

Getting the three references is no problem for me, it's the Employer part that I have a problem with.

My plan is to apply just before or after retirement and let the chips fall where they may.

I just wanted to spotlight how for some people this part of the process can be a big problem, especially if you live in MoCo.
    My feeling is this may be addressed in the courts but that could be more than a year or two out and I'm sure that by that time the General Assembly will try their best to foul things up.

SigFan

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm in a similar position. I really want to go to church, but of course that's illegal without 16 hours of religious instruction, fingerprints, references, and that police phone call to my employer. My boss is an atheist, so I don't want him to know about my religious interest.

I had the same problem when I got my permit to vote. I nearly got fired by my democrat boss, because I registered Republican.

If only there were some sort of guarantee of our right to worship, vote, and bear arms.

OMD6dawg

I informed my manager on Thursday that he would be getting a call. He knows what I’m into and how often I train. He already knows i have several permits in other states. Soon, his state (NJ) will be on my list as well.

Just get another employee to take the call.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The employer contact information is b*llshit. Full stop.

That said, it has been said by pro 2A orgs and those who already have permits that, unless you're looking to carry as part of your job, it's very unlikely that MSP will contact your employer. It's a sh!tty situation, for sure.

Good luck

SigFan

NRA Life Member MSI Supporter
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2007
    "Just get another employee to take the call."

That option doesn't work for me I want to do this by the book so there are no problems.
    With my luck, I'm the one guy that somehow would be caught.

But thanks for the reply.

SigFan

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Not sure I know anyone whose employer was contacted (unless to verify the TS G&S the employer/FSO provided), only references, spouse, etc.

Its ******** and needs to stop now. Same for references. They are both subjective and are a violation of our privacy. Even if the investigator doest say its for a carry permit, a call about you from the police is going to raise a lot of speculation and suspicion.

The entire country is SHALL ISSUE now. If you can own a firearm they SHALL issue you a carry permit. No if ands or butts about it. It doesn't matter what your employer or references say.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I’m new to my position and in a probationary period. So I’m afraid the rock the boat. But I’ll do it afterwards and see what comes I guess. We have a reorganization going on so maybe the supervisors will switch around. Counting down to December.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Pennsylvania requires two references.

Shortly after I get my W&C, I intend to drive up to York and get my LTCF.
    Why not Gettysburg/Adams County? I looked at their application and no references are required. Plus it’s a shorter drive for me to get to Gettysburg.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Why not Gettysburg/Adams County? I looked at their application and no references are required. Plus it’s a shorter drive for me to get to Gettysburg.

I didn't know that! Thanks! Gettysburg works for me.

Not so much for Robert E. Lee...

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm extremely positive everyone at my job knows I'm very pro-gun. Half joke-ish that if anything violent went down, they'd run to get me for help. Hopefully this will have the unintended consequence of normalizing the exercise of the 2a once people see how many and how diverse those getting carry permits are.

My inbox is currently blowing up by some pretty left-leaning friends asking how to get carry permits.

All that said, any licensing scheme is an unconstitutional infringement. Needing to submit to the government and have your submission be accepted by the government in order to exercise an unalienable right is as tyrannical as those words sound.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I listed my boss’s cell number, never contacted as others stated and I’ve also never heard of anyone’s employer contacted unless that was the reason for the permit.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm not sure what your concern is if you apply after retirement. He won't be your boss then even if the contract is doing work in his area.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Out of curiosity, can one of your references BE your employer? And do they really need to be your current boss? I ask in part because my former boss' boss is also going to be listed as a reference. I am with the same federal employer, but switched positions just a few weeks ago. IMHO, I don't see anything wrong about listing her under employer, but thought I'd check (and I'll probably check with her too to make sure she is comfortable being listed twice. She said "heck yeah I am all about people being responsible" when I asked if she'd be a reference. She used to have a LTC in NC a few years ago). I figure the same, odds of my employer being contacted are LOW, but I thought I'd reduce the chances of a butt pain coming from this.

rehtlaw

Nov 28, 2009
    So. MD. area
    What do they do if you are self employed? Could I put my wife down as my boss? Or put myself down as a contact and they can ask me what I think about myself.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What do they do if you are self employed? Could I put my wife down as my boss? Or put myself down as a contact and they can ask me what I think about myself.
    I’ve had my permit approved and renewed BECAUSE I was self employed, when that was the strategy. For employer info, I of course just filled in my own info. My wife had the conversation with the investigating trooper while I was at the Rockville barracks having my interview. He met her out in the parking lot, and talked about bird dogs for ten minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom