• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    70 to 30. The city is filled with anti gun people though. If every anti gun person actually came out to vote in MD we would lose a referendum decisively.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    NO = 70%

Yes = 30%

Pretty clear.

Why doesn't MSI, Gun Owners of America, SAF, NRA run adds against this BILL?

Money. Running ads that will reach a lot of people aren't cheap. We are putting money into one lawsuit right now, and God knows what is coming....

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Take Back Maryland, raised tens of thousands of dollars in just two weeks, with donors averaging $150 per person, treasurer David Ridgway said.

:thumbsup:

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Money. Running ads that will reach a lot of people aren't cheap. We are putting money into one lawsuit right now, and God knows what is coming....

This. Some amount of outreach is a good thing, but at this point spending tons of money on ads supporting our side probably isn't the best use of resources.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    This. Some amount of outreach is a good thing, but at this point spending tons of money on ads supporting our side probably isn't the best use of resources.

At best I think pro guns ads will do nothing at this point. I fear that people will see/hear an ad and be like, “Typical NRA millionaires trying to buy another election.”

Winning minds isn’t about money at this point but grassroots face to face time with people. Take people out to the range and let them have a fun time. I’m sticking to putting my money into court cases.

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    So let me get this straight….

The ads are going to trumpet the “common sense law that the majority of Marylanders approve.”

Seems like a waste of money if everyone already agrees with the law…

Oh. Never mind

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ask yourself why they are running these ads. What do they have to gain from them? The bill is passed, O'Malley signed it. They know there is litigation coming, but ads don't affect judges. They also know there is a referendum in the works. Hmmm.....

My suspicion is they are starting a campaign against the referendum. Get the word out that gun control is a good thing. Plant that seed in the minds of the people who are going to be voting. This is what we are up against. They have money. They are VERY well funded. Yet another reason why a referendum is a very bad idea. Who is going to fund our side? We can't count on Delegate McDonough to do anything. He has already publicly stated that he is not going to run this referendum. He is using this as a political tool for himself. NRA isn't going to fund it, they know it's a loser. Why put 10's of millions of dollars into a black hole? MSI can't run a lot of ads on a Statewide level. It is expensive. We don't take in that much in the course of a year. What do we gain from the money we would spend countering these ads? Realistically, nothing.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Ask yourself why they are running these ads. What do they have to gain from them? The bill is passed, O'Malley signed it. They know there is litigation coming, but ads don't affect judges. They also know there is a referendum in the works. Hmmm.....

My suspicion is they are starting a campaign against the referendum. Get the word out that gun control is a good thing. Plant that seed in the minds of the people who are going to be voting. This is what we are up against. They have money. They are VERY well funded. Yet another reason why a referendum is a very bad idea. Who is going to fund our side? We can't count on Delegate McDonough to do anything. He has already publicly stated that he is not going to run this referendum. He is using this as a political tool for himself. NRA isn't going to fund it, they know it's a loser. Why put 10's of millions of dollars into a black hole? MSI can't run a lot of ads on a Statewide level. It is expensive. We don't take in that much in the course of a year. What do we gain from the money we would spend countering these ads? Realistically, nothing.

I don't think so, I think mostly they are trying to keep and support the GA because they know how frickin' angry we all are. They stand to lose plenty of sb281 sponsors in 2014.

Mr H

Banana'd
    This is how we will loose in 2014, The Sheeple will follow loc-step and barrel. Unless some one on our side with deep pockets puts up equialy compelling ads against the gun laws..

I'm a little surprised that the machine is starting this early....

If you tell a lie long enough, and loud enough, it becomes 'truth'.

If no one counters the lie, then it becomes part of the culture.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't think so, I think mostly they are trying to keep and support the GA because they know how frickin' angry we all are. They stand to lose plenty of sb281 sponsors in 2014.

That is a very good explanation. Let's hope they are right. :thumbsup:

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD

Setting the money issue aside (which I know you really can't), I disagree that it would be a waste of energy and resources and I think this is, in part, why we keep loosing locally and nationally. Good, and I stress Good public education through steady ad 'market' systems is VERY important. It's part of the reason we American's eat 'bacon and eggs' for breakfast -- think propaganda.... Mr. H. gets it. :D

Everybody loves warm fuzzy feeling eye candy, and the liberal are absolute MASTERS at it. Conservatives on the other hand are.... well lets just say terrible at it. TOMA and such is what the liberals know and know very well.

Lets face it, there are very few educated (those who actually take the time to check out the positions and track records of the candidates) voters anymore.

If you tell a lie long enough, and loud enough, it becomes 'truth'.

If no one counters the lie, then it becomes part of the culture.

Yes Sir Mr. H., and I guess the $1,000,000,000 question/objective is how do we effectively change that? Without deep pockets, I got nothing.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I love the story on the Bacon & Eggs. I highly recommend people look up the history of marketing and propaganda... just in the electronic media age, it will blow your mind!!!

My wife came to me an hour or so ago, wanting to know what can be done to get HB 1107 to referendum, and forestall the rewriting of the entire education structure in the state, just to give the PG Co. Exec. full control!!

Well, long story short... Without pulling together a coalition of stakeholders WHO ACTUALLY WANT TO FIX IT, who have a subscriber base that is motivated, and with immensely deep pockets??? Well, I think you know the answer there.

Our situation is a little different, IMO.

We do have the interested organizations. We are building a subscriber base, and they have been motivated. We have two major things against us, though... and this is why it would not work... momentum lost is difficult to regain, and no one stepped out at the beginning to say they could/would bankroll it and keep it front-and-center.

Add to that the fact that we don't get to write the question, and all it would take is one proposition that appeals to an adversarial demographic, and it would be doomed.

"They" have unlimited funds. They have the media. They have the infrastructure solidified from decades in power. We have to fight back, yes... but a little at a time. Little victories, eroding thre base. I just hope we can knock enough key blocks from their foundation soon enough to save the state.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Setting the money issue aside (which I know you really can't), I disagree that it would be a waste of energy and resources and I think this is, in part, why we keep loosing locally and nationally. Good, and I stress Good public education through steady ad 'market' systems is VERY important. It's part of the reason we American's eat 'bacon and eggs' for breakfast -- think propaganda.... Mr. H. gets it. :D

Everybody loves warm fuzzy feeling eye candy, and the liberal are absolute MASTERS at it. Conservatives on the other hand are.... well lets just say terrible at it. TOMA and such is what the liberals know and know very well.

Lets face it, there are very few educated (those who actually take the time to check out the positions and track records of the candidates) voters anymore.

The libs are also funded by people like Bloomberg. We are funded by people like us. If we counter these ads now we will not have money for the pre-election period. MSI operates on a relatively small budget. We need to put that money to the best use possible. Is that money best utilized with ads, or is it best used with actual community outreach. MSI can't afford to run a sustained and widespread ad campaign. If you put financial considerations aside, I agree an ad campaign would be great. Who's going to pay for it?

Mr H

Banana'd
    Doc...

The last bit of his post covers that...

... I guess the $1,000,000,000 question/objective is how do we effectively change that? Without deep pockets, I got nothing.

I did elaborate on it (no naming names) in the following post.

MSI can only do so much, and yet this year we've done amazing things.

IMO, we were let down by some of the bigger players once the writing was on the wall.

Some did yeoman's work, yes... and I thank them for it every chance I get...

But, as I said a couple posts ago, there was noone who came out as the hardcharger to ensure the tide would be changed, come Hell or high water.

While I do have some presence this year, I'm admittedly not in the inner sanctum (and I'm good with that)... but there are aromas out here that aren't sitting well with John Q. Public

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom