• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Strangley enough, my wife wants to buy me a rifle. She has even specified a lever action rifle.
    After I looked her car over for damage and checking her phone and computer for a boyfriend (just kidding) I thought about my options.

I have an old 336 in 30-30.

I have 2 .357 revolvers and 1 .44 mag.

The rifle probably wouldn't be used for hunting. Just range toy use.

I think I want a Big Boy. (that doesn't sound right)

Help me decide on a caliber. Also, if there is a better choice for the money, let me know.

Last edited:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    If she has a spare $2,300, then pickup a Henry Original. It has a lot of history.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    A Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt under the Christmas tree will bring a smile to your face...

:)

Attachments

• DSC08114.jpg
      DSC08114.jpg
      114.9 KB · Views: 513

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Love my big boy in 44 mag! I reload and have a redhawk so they pair well. Do you reload? If yes, then get 44 mag. If no, get the .357 and .38's are cheap to shoot!

Edit: Here's my 44!

Attachments

• 20140328_203246.jpg
      20140328_203246.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 344
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once upon a time, I had the opportunity to shoot a '92 , a Ruger 96 , and a Henry .44 side by side ( and also mentally compare to my Marlin94). The Henry was the heaviest , but balanced well for offhand shooting, had decent trigger, and was noticably gentler on the shoulder shooting the same ammo in all three.

my69rox

Jan 17, 2013
    Westminster MD / Hanover PA
    I had a 357/38 special , very nice riffle. BUT be ready to " baby " it ! It's such a beautiful rifle in person , your gonna be so pissed when you nick , scratch ect, the brass receiver . Any Henry is good. P.S I need a wife like yours ..lol Enjoy !

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Have they fixed the thin magazine/tube metal issue yet on the .44mag model? I'd love to own one because they really are lovely guns.

I wish they would, I broke my magazine tube on my .44 3 times now. its an amazingly great rifle to fire,very accurate and nice to look at. I'll admit we do put at least 500 rounds through it per outing a month. its from the recoil that breaks the tab at the end of the tube. I added an extra o-ring to the top of the follower so it has no extra play and so far so good.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    .38/.357 most versatile on ammo costs, it will do anything you want. .44 and .45LC are hard to deal with unless you reload.

Some of the rifle calibers are fun but not near as fun as a pistol caliber lever gun! Ive got my Rossi (I know not a henry) down to engaging 6 clays on stands at 25, 50 and 75 yards (mixed) ranges in 20 seconds...........sweet and fun without recoil.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    No brainer.......... either the sissy .357 (since you're not going to hunt) OR the .44 Mag............ you have revolvers for each, hence.... no brainer. I LOVE my 44's.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I wish they would, I broke my magazine tube on my .44 3 times now. its an amazingly great rifle to fire,very accurate and nice to look at. I'll admit we do put at least 500 rounds through it per outing a month. its from the recoil that breaks the tab at the end of the tube. I added an extra o-ring to the top of the follower so it has no extra play and so far so good.

This making me rethink the 44. I was kinda leaning towards it.

I'll have to do some further investigation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom