• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    I recently started shooting my pistols more, mainly due to the cops being called when we go and shoot at the farm. The problem is no matter which pistol I take to the indoor range I'm always shooting left to low left. Is there a way to see just where the pistol is shooting without buying another gun vise. I'm not blaming the equipment because no matter which one I take the results are the same. I'm shooting about 15yds and for the most part the groups are about 2-2 1/2 ". I grew up hunting and served in the military so rifles are not a problem. I just don't have a lot of experience with pistols. Any advice would be helpful.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Throw a cheap laser on it and watch where the dot goes as you pull the trigger.
    It could help you fix your part of the equation and you dont have to waste rounds doing it.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just a thought.. have another shooter at the range (preferably one that is proficient with a handgun) try your pistol and see how they do.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    bf9006402750fce135ddcc30ab509649_zpsd2db43b8.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No matter the size of the group, if it isn't center where you think you are aiming, then there is an issue.
    Most will say you are anticipating the shot and trying to physically counter the recoil. Or, for one reason or another your first shot is landing there and you are getting tunnel vision to "shoot the group" instead of concentrating on the center of the target for the remaining shots.
    Impossible to say without seeing you shoot.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Throw a cheap laser on it and watch where the dot goes as you pull the trigger.
    It could help you fix your part of the equation and you dont have to waste rounds doing it.

Take the cheap laser after you buy it and throw it right in the trash. His issue could be recoil and in that case a laser will not help.
    Lasers have no part in diagnosing shooting issues. Just sayin :D

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Put a reverse B27 about 50 yards away at the farm. Acquire sight picture and concentrate on not disturbing it during dry fire. Then have your friend or someone with a pulse insert a round in the chamber or not. The tip is not to let you know. Then, work from there. Distance is harder but better, it'll be frustrating but you'll get a much better understanding of what's going on.

CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    The grip probably has a lot to do with it. I noticed when I put more finger on the trigger the shots do come up. But the shots are still left. I guess another question I have is, what are the standards for pistol accuracy? Am I trying to apply rifle accuracy standards to pistol shooting?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For a COMBAT style gun.
    Glock, SIG, USGI style 1911, etc., etc. you should be expect a roughly 2" group at 25 yards.

This is BENCHRESTED for maximum accuracy. Out of your hands you should expect to double that.

That's ideal with unicorns and fairy dust. I typically settle in at a 2" group at 10 yards when shooting at speed from a holster. I've been witnessed (PM Lou45) having rounds touching (double taps) moving and shooting.
    Now slow fire? I look like a shotgun with birdshot at 100 yards . But slow fire doesn't matter, I'm not a bullseye shooter.

CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    I don't pay much attention to where the rounds are hitting until the mag is finished. I just try to concentrate on sight picture and aim point. Then check the grouping at the end.

Feb 28, 2013
    Take the cheap laser after you buy it and throw it right in the trash. His issue could be recoil and in that case a laser will not help.

If he has adjustable sights and they're off, the laser should at least help with that. Right?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought that laser sights were the bomb-diggity...until I saw a few folks shoot with them. (Personally, I've never owned any) It's not like the movies where the laser stays dead on whatever you are shooting at - it dances all over the place, and most of the time the shots are just as all over the place.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Since it doesn't seem to matter which pistol you take to the range, I believe it's most likely your shooting mechanics (grip & trigger pull). Don't know what pistols you're shooting, but trigger pull not straight back/smoothly & your grip may be a little loose.

It sounds like you're at least being consistent with the shot placement. I was shooting slightly to the left at 12-15 yds. While dry firing, I noticed the slightest movement to the left when the trigger released, so I've been working on a firmer grip with a smoother trigger pull, which seems to be correcting the problem.

Go to the range, either take a sandbag or borrow one from the range. Support the pistol on the bag such that side to side & vertical movement are virtually nill. Now squeeze off 5 rounds or so, observing shot placement. If you're still shooting left, then look into moving your rear sights slightly to the right, but if shots are hitting at the point of aim, then you & not the gun have the issue.

I've also read & talked to shooters having the same problem when they go from heavier pistols to lighter polymer pistols. Takes some adjustment because the polymers lack the weight that assists with recoil management, plus a firmer grip is needed, & the proper trigger motion is more important.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You should buy something awesome and expensive so that way we can buy it for 50% off in the classifieds later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom