• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zben

Nov 26, 2011
    Bethesda
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 that I plan on eventually carrying when I move outta MD, but I am interested in buying a full sized 9mm for use at the range and for a little more HD punch. I haven't had any experience shooting any of the 9s that I am interested in though. Hmm, ideally, where could I test out a Beretta 92, a CZ 75, and a Bersa Thunder 9 and then buy one, after a week of course, with a spare mag or two for $500 or under? Is that just impossible in MD? Is there anywhere that FFL transfers for cheap enough to make the internet an option?

I recently bought my used BT380 (only gun so far, but not for long :D) at Engage Armament in Kensington and it has been shooting great so far, especially for only $250. (300+ rounds, no failures, and it hits the target at 7 yards every time) I really like the SA/DA design better than DAO after testing out a Glock 17 and a Springfield XD9 at BRA in VA. Gilbert's indoor range is close, but I'm not sure if they have the guns I want to try.

Any suggestions? I am also open to suggestions for good value DA/SA 9s.

Thanks!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cz75 sig 2022 and sig 226 have all been good to me. Probably sell my glock ultimately to fund another cz.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    You can find Police trade in Beretta 92's and CZ 75's in the $300 range. Find a local range that rents guns and shoot as many as you can afford.

btw, welcome to the forum

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I'm a Glock and Sig fan boy, but just started getting into SW M&Ps, guns feel great in the hand, and shoot very well. since I don't want to use my more expensive handguns for home defense, I got a $220 SW VE40. It fires every time, but not a great range gun, I did this for the reason if I have to use it, I don't want a great gun screwed up by LEOs or if stolen, I won't be out too much

I have picked up used Glocks from Shooters discount for under $400, same with M&P from Accurate Gun and Pawn, and Sigs and Glocks (a little more) from Gun Connection and Engage Armament

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum. You are the right track, find someone/range who will let you shoot each of the guns you are interested in and make an informed decision.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you don't like the Glocks, than I'd look into the S&W 5-series guns and you'll have money left over. It's a steel 9mm, a lot of them are police trade ins. Gun Connection had them for under $300 I think.

zben

Nov 26, 2011
    Bethesda
    So the internet is a good way to go then? Anybody know of any good FFL transfer locations near Bethesda? I'll have to check out some of the stores in N. MD next time I'm headed up that way.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    go to gunbroker and auctionarms.com and look at all the police trade in firearms. there are several dealers that deal with trade ins all in the $300-$400 range. there are so much to chose from you'll go crazy trying to pick one.

i'm looking at a S&W 6906 series which is a pretty good firearm if you want to check them out too

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    You cannot go wrong with a used CZ75 for a nice full sized steel handgun..I would also take a look at the Ruger P95 as mentioned above. You can a brand new gun and have plenty to shoot with. Plus Ruger not only makes a great product in the states but has amazing customer service. Its a win win with either of these.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=41046

So the internet is a good way to go then? Anybody know of any good FFL transfer locations near Bethesda? I'll have to check out some of the stores in N. MD next time I'm headed up that way.

Engage Armament, in Kennsington(sp). They can be found in the Industry Partner section of this site. A link to their dealer info is at the top of the post, damm phone wont let me move it.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    If you're looking to keep it under 500 with a mag, look at a used G19 or G17. I have the 19 and it is my favorite gun. But, I'd just save a little more and go for a new one, if possible.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Having fired all 3 guns you listed, I would buy the CZ-75. Then a second one. Then a third one. Then a 92. Then another CZ-75.

The CZ fit my hand better than the Beretta. I have yet to find a Bersa that fit me very well at all. That CZ is also nothing short of a laser in the accuracy department. While I'm not a competitive shooter, I know where a bullet should go when I pull the trigger. The 92 wasn't bad, the Glock 19 was mediocre, and the CZ put every round exactly where I shot it.

zben

Nov 26, 2011
    Bethesda
    Haha, I guess I broke my own rule! After looking up some roughed up police trade in guns on the online places, and considering the HIGH FFL costs in MD--- and royally fed up with ranges not letting me use my own ammo in their guns (I mean come on BRA, Federal is better than American Eagle right?!) --- I decided to go and get myself a nice Christmas present so that I could take a nice piece to the NRA range and not have to worry about renting crappy range guns. Those range rentals eliminated Glocks and Sigs in my book, but I really liked the M9 I tried. After consulting Engage Armament, who were out of stock, I picked up a brand new Beretta M9 for 600 bucks at Atlantic Guns, who had a couple of the guns I was interested in. I went in considering a Taurus PT92 (they had a mangled used one), Bersa Thunder 9 (they didn't have that one), CZ-75, and Beretta M9.

It was a real tough choice between the M9 and a new c-75 for about 50 dollars less, but I went with the M9 because 1. the trigger guard is almost the same as the one I have on my Bersa while the CZ-75 just felt awkward 2. I couldn't get as "comfortable" of a grip on the CZ-75 3. I really don't like the location of the safety on the CZ-75. It kind of awkwardly touches the space between my thumb and trigger finger. I prefer it to be slide mounted. 4. Its the same one the military uses and has lots of different accessories available (no rail, but I'm not into lights and lasers). Finally, I think the biggest reason I chose the M9 was because I have always wanted one and if I picked something different, I would probably regret not getting the M9.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom