Help understanding what "enumerated banned" and the copycat, clone means.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrashRecovery

May 26, 2017
    I've been trying to do the research myself to understand what all of that jargon means but I think I'm making it worse honestly. For example CMMG only has one of their rifles on the list that MSP has online. It's an AK variant. Now if I wanted to buy one of their AR platforms, and going by the approved list MSP has, I can't purchase one. Now I was considering filling out the review form to see if a specific model can be approved but if I don't understand the reasoning for the ban then it's a mute point in my opinion.
    It turns out one of the co-owners of CMMG and I have a mutual interest in RC aircraft and have chatted a bunch of times before I put two and two together. I could possibly get the specs and maybe the drawings the application requires.
    With that being said can someone explain this whole copy/clone, enumerated banned, interchangeable parts idea rules?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    If you buy an HBAR AR in 5.56 you are good to go. If you buy a piston AR you are good to go. If you buy an AR in other calibers you are good to go.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There is no approved list of rifles. Bottom line is if CMMG sells an HBAR AR, it’s legal in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Please do not fill out the review form. Its meaningless, the MSP does not employ an armorer, and there have been numerous errors. MSP actually disvowed the list online, its not even legally binding.

If you are buying a new rifle, simply check with the local FFL through which you will transfer it. They know the law. If you post which CMMG rifle you are interested in, the MDS braintrust can opine. The bottom line (post #2) if its a standard AR, it needs to have a barrel marked or marketed as "heavy barrel."

CrashRecovery

May 26, 2017
    I was considering one of CMMG's 9MM pistol setups. What is the barrel requirements and so forth for that type of firearm? The wife likes the feel of the ar just not the weight or the kick, so a 9mm pistol setup would probably suit her just fine.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I was considering one of CMMG's 9MM pistol setups. What is the barrel requirements and so forth for that type of firearm? The wife likes the feel of the ar just not the weight or the kick, so a 9mm pistol setup would probably suit her just fine.
    There aren't any. If you find one and like it, buy it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit