• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hi all, like the title says, (hope I put it in the right forum), I am interested in buying an AK-47. I would appreciate any suggestions. I would say the budget is between $600 and $800 but would consider going a little higher. One must have is I want it to have a wood stock. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What part of the state are you in? Check the industry Partner section and visit one of them. At least that way you can see before you buy.

Wynter

Jul 27, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Rich - First off, congrats on picking a great rifle!! I love both my AK and my AR. This question gets asked a lot though. If you perform an advanced search of "AK-47", search titles only, then you will find a ton of information. Just for starters:

Pic thread - http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25885

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=68160
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=67898
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=63950

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=63583

You can also visit our industry partners: http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Arsenals are great, I love the SLR107F I had. I sold it to my uncle because he begged me. They're great BUT, they're not a lot of improvement over any other AK. My Arsenal shipped with a defective front sight. My beat up old Maadi does the trick for me. I LOVE my Maadi. But don't get me wrong, Arsenal makes very fine rifles. I just prefer other AKs, it leaves more money for accessories.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    For a beginner, AKM will be the more appropriate term to describe stamped receiver AK's since they make up the vast majority of not only AK's worldwide but here in the states too from WASR's to Arsenal's. AK-47's have milled receivers with zero rivets and are heavier.

For a beginner AK I would recommend a WASR as long as you are able to inspect it in person first. Make sure to have a knowledgeable person with you or hope the seller is. They are good rifles with factory barrels and built in Romania from arsenals building AK's from the 60's. They are now between $500-$600 so you can use the extra $200 for mags and ammo. They also use wood stocks as standard.

Make sure the trunnion is a pre-1984 date with the cugir triangle and arrow. Check the sights, mag release, and internal features as well since some that were imported can be lemons but that has changed in recent years with improved quality control. If you don't end up liking the AK platform the WASR won't break the bank and you can sell it. If you end up liking the AK you can then upgrade to much nicer options like Arsenals, custom-builds, and pre-bans.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    If you want to really save some cash, buy a parts kit, and an 80% receiver. Then get with one of the many members here such as myself that have the required tooling and build your own. You can build one for about $400. Build it to suit your tastes. And no paper trail in case Obama gets re-elected and gets his way with a new assult weapons ban. Like to think that won't happen, but if it does, it's nice to know that there's no record of it.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    If you want to really save some cash, buy a parts kit, and an 80% receiver. Then get with one of the many members here such as myself that have the required tooling and build your own. You can build one for about $400. Build it to suit your tastes. And no paper trail in case Obama gets re-elected and gets his way with a new assult weapons ban. Like to think that won't happen, but if it does, it's nice to know that there's no record of it.

Can you do that with an AK-74?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    There is a MAK-90 in the classifieds for 600 right now, but also check out the industry partners here. They'll be able to help you out.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Yes, '74 and AKMs are identical to build and use the same tooling, there are just a few minor differences on the receiver specs.
    Thanks! At first blush, this looks like a way to get an AK-74 at a reasonable price when most vendors appear to be out of stock. I just wonder if the first build will be better than the cheap ones slammed together by Century Arms.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It is fairly difficult to match the quality of an imported factory build at home. But you do have the option of using better components than Century does (surplus barrel, quality furniture, etc). And if you take your time, fit will be superior on the various components.

Just one man's opinion, but I would say the reason to build is not so much to save money, but for the experience or to get something you couldn't otherwise buy in a store.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have been leaning fairly heavily towards an M+M M10 in 5.45x39 myself. They're basically higher quality WASRs with a Draco-style gas block and a UTG-manufactured quad rail. I don't particularly love 5.45x39 as a cartridge, but I suspect .223 pricing is going to sky rocket by the end of the year.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Get the freaking Arsenal. If his budget is already up to $800, he can bump it up slightly and get the rifle he really wants. Remember AKs are not like ARs, you can't just swap every single piece out with a couple of simple tools and a bench vise.

If he wants a folder, side rail, and/or a specific caliber he should make up his mind. You can change furniture, optics and muzzle devices down the road but that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom