• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Ok everyone:

1) Cindy's Hotshots didn't know what to do.
    2) Maryland State Police Barracks in Glen Burnie didn't know what to do.
    3) Calls and emails to the MFLD in Pikesville are not answered and no responses.

No one seems to know.

TLDR: My best friend died in January 2023 unexpectedly. This is all in the state of Maryland - nothing outside of the state. He had a few regulated firearms that are in the estate that need to be transferred out. His family does NOT want the guns and both myself and the other person who would like to acquire these are not blood or marriage related so the 77R cannot be gift or inheritance.

Question: Is there ANY FFL in AA county or surrounding counties - eastern shore is okay too -that can help me get these transferred out of the estate to an individual? Two lots going to two people. We (the people who want to receive the regulated firearms from the estate) both have HQL's. Will pay transfer fees and I cannot post on any of the Industry Partners forums asking for help so I will start here.

I have the notarized letters of administration of the estate listing his mother (alive) who is the executor of the estate and has signature authority. I have access to the death certificate and the firearm details for a transfer from the estate to me and the other party. I don't know how to start the transfer (what type to I pick? Other? Private transfer for each?) in the portal and what paperwork from the estate has to be uploaded. I have done many FTF transfers at the MSP barracks and purchased firearms inside of Maryland as well purchasing firearms out of state and being received and transferred lawfully in Maryland via a regulated MD dealer. I am a designated collector - the other party is not. Even so, the other party should be able to receive two regulated firearms out of the estate and wait the 60 days until they can do another state transfer.

Thanks-

Chris.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Contact Brian at SCSG. He's an IP here. I believe he has handled estate stuff before. I was just at his shop tonight. Not in AA county, though.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    You can do an inheritance transfer through the MSP portal. (You do not need to be related to the deceased for an inheritance transfer.) It is very simple and you can transfer multiple firearms in one transfer (has option to add firearms after entering first one). No need to go to barracks and there is no fee.

I did one just a few months ago. There is an option to upload documents (death certificate, etc.) if you choose to, but are not required. I didn’t upload any documents and it went through seamlessly.

Inheritance transfers are exempt from the 30 day limit.

Last edited:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Besides the inheritance stuff I dont know. Below is the standard transfer stuff

His mother can just take them to a FFL, then the ffl can do the transfer via normal means. The second party needs to get his collector stuff in the mail yesterday, it only take a few weeks. After he gets his collector card ( letter ) he just does the 77r's for the guns he is getting. Then he goes to the store and does the 4473 and 7 day waiting period for the guns, then takes them home after 7 days.

You can do the same.

Of course the gun shop is going to want a transfer fee for them, so call around and find a shop willing to do it the cheapest for multiple guns at once. It really is not that much extra paper work, its one 4473 and logging them in and out and the computer stuff for the msp. Which is going to cost 10 per gun.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Besides the inheritance stuff I dont know. Below is the standard transfer stuff

His mother can just take them to a FFL, then the ffl can do the transfer via normal means. The second party needs to get his collector stuff in the mail yesterday, it only take a few weeks. After he gets his collector card ( letter ) he just does the 77r's for the guns he is getting. Then he goes to the store and does the 4473 and 7 day waiting period for the guns, then takes them home after 7 days.

You can do the same.

Of course the gun shop is going to want a transfer fee for them, so call around and find a shop willing to do it the cheapest for multiple guns at once. It really is not that much extra paper work, its one 4473 and logging them in and out and the computer stuff for the msp. Which is going to cost 10 per gun.
    There is only one $10 fee for the 77R application when used for a multiple gun transfer. I often add on an AR lower receiver when I buy a handgun, to save the fee.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Hi everyone - thanks for the responses - great info! To answer some of the questions - lot 1 (to me) is a 870 pump shotgun and a Kimber and a Glock pistol. The second lot (to my other friend) is a Taurus and a Beretta pistol.

Question - my friend also has an IO AK47 and a Colt (non-hbar) AR-15. Was going to try to help the estate sell them out of state, but isn't there an exemption for "Assault Weapons" allowed for an inheritance? I seem to remember that. Both of these long arms were purchased before the MDFSA in 2013.

Is transferring the shotgun and the rifles FTF? When I look on the portal under inheritance, all of the shotguns are NFA/shorties and the only option for semi auto rifle is PRIVATELY MADE FIREARM. I thought any weapon that fires a round has to go through the MSP, but I don't see how to do that on the portal.

Edit- found this in the law:

This subtitle does not apply to:
    (1) if acting within the scope of official business, personnel of the United States government or a unit of that
    government, members of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard, law enforcement personnel
    of the State or a local unit in the State, or a railroad police officer authorized under Title 3 of the Public Safety Article
    or 49 U.S.C. § 28101;
    (2) a firearm modified to render it permanently inoperative;
    (3) possession, importation, manufacture, receipt for manufacture, shipment for manufacture, storage, purchases,
    sales, and transport to or by a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer who is:
    (i) providing or servicing an assault weapon or detachable magazine for a law enforcement unit or for personnel
    exempted under item (1) of this section;
    (ii) acting to sell or transfer an assault weapon or detachable magazine to a licensed firearm dealer in another
    state or to an individual purchaser in another state through a licensed firearms dealer; or
    (iii) acting to return to a customer in another state an assault weapon transferred to the licensed firearms dealer
    or manufacturer under the terms of a warranty or for repair;
    (4) organizations that are required or authorized by federal law governing their specific business or activity to maintain
    assault weapons and applicable ammunition and detachable magazines;
    (5) the receipt of an assault weapon or detachable magazine by inheritance, and possession of the inherited assault
    weapon or detachable magazine, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault weapon or detachable magazine and
    the person inheriting the assault weapon or detachable magazine is not otherwise disqualified from possessing a
    regulated firearm;

Thanks!

Last edited:

Epiphany

Feb 5, 2023
    MoCo
    I don’t want to elaborate too much in the event that anything wasn’t proper - but Albright’s in Easton helped me with something like this when a family member passed - you might consult with them. IIRC, we did the transfers as a sale, rather than a gift, because the owner was no longer alive to gift them, per-se…

Anyways, my overall feeling was that it made sense, but not entirely, but we got it done.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most of this is simple .

Since each recipient is recieving no more than two handguns , they could even just do a conventional sale/ transfer , and utilize the " buy two at once , wait 60 days thing " if they don't already have their DCL . It would just be the Representative ( executor) liquidating assets for the benefit of the Estate .

Long guns must transfer thru an FFL ( not MSP Barracks ) . As long as you are dealing with an FFL anyway . check their fee for handling the handguns also . as a one and done might be more convient for the Representative than having to meet up multiple times .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom