• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Just for grins and giggles, I think I would copy the two responses into one email and send it back and ask them to explain 1) which is the correct answer, 2) why you got two contradictory answers, and 3) how is the average citizen supposed to figure this out if the state organization responsible for administering the HQL process can't figure it out either!

That will likely get your application flagged for immediate processing. :innocent0

ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    Just for grins and giggles, I think I would copy the two responses into one email and send it back and ask them to explain 1) which is the correct answer, 2) why you got two contradictory answers, and 3) how is the average citizen supposed to figure this out if the state organization responsible for administering the HQL process can't figure it out either!

That will likely get your application flagged for immediate processing. :innocent0

I thought about doing just that, but then I figured that maybe the MSP isn't an organization I want to piss off.

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    Here is my first question i asked...

Q. I am interested in obtaining my HQL certificate and have seen some info about exemptions to some of the criteria to obtain it. One is taking the hunter safety course which i did back in the early to mid 80's. Does that count as one of the exemptions? Also i have purchased two regulated firearm pre 1 Oct 2013 and have seen info about that also counting towards the exemption. Could you please clarify for me on both of these. And if they do count what do i need to supply as proof (Hunters Safety card or a copy of the form that have for purchasing the regulated firearms)?

A. If you owned a regulated firearm pre October 1, 2013, you needn't worry about the training certificate or it's validity. Simply add the gun information by bypassing the education portion of the Training Exempt HQL application.

Then i asked for clarification...

Q. Since i did purchase a firearm before 1 oct 2013 do i also still need to do the live fire?

A. You would be exempt from any training requirement due to your previous ownership of the regulated firearm.

So if i am understanding them all i need to do is do my livescan then fill out the application to submit. Has anyone else done it this way?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Here is my first question i asked...

Q. I am interested in obtaining my HQL certificate and have seen some info about exemptions to some of the criteria to obtain it. One is taking the hunter safety course which i did back in the early to mid 80's. Does that count as one of the exemptions? Also i have purchased two regulated firearm pre 1 Oct 2013 and have seen info about that also counting towards the exemption. Could you please clarify for me on both of these. And if they do count what do i need to supply as proof (Hunters Safety card or a copy of the form that have for purchasing the regulated firearms)?

A. If you owned a regulated firearm pre October 1, 2013, you needn't worry about the training certificate or it's validity. Simply add the gun information by bypassing the education portion of the Training Exempt HQL application.

Then i asked for clarification...

Q. Since i did purchase a firearm before 1 oct 2013 do i also still need to do the live fire?

A. You would be exempt from any training requirement due to your previous ownership of the regulated firearm.

So if i am understanding them all i need to do is do my livescan then fill out the application to submit. Has anyone else done it this way?

Yes, just enter the regulated firearm information that you purchased prior to October 1, 2013 in the appropriate area on the application and your good to go.

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    So i am working on my HQL filling out the form. I have completed the Demographic section but when i go to the prerequisite page it is blank. Nothing to fill out. Am i missing something? Got my prints done and want to get this submitted.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

How difficult is the finger printing to get? For Hazmat I have to make an appointment and go to Frederick during working hours. The only other thing I seem to need is a handgun serial#? I should be concentrating on fully equipping the guns I do have. But a new Sig' keeps calling to me.

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Good info here. What baffles me is the 15 yard max for live fire. Since this is not a CCL why wouldn't the max be something like 7 yards? I don't know to many people with 15 yard rooms or hall ways. Not at my pay range anyway.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Good info here. What baffles me is the 15 yard max for live fire. Since this is not a CCL why wouldn't the max be something like 7 yards? I don't know to many people with 15 yard rooms or hall ways. Not at my pay range anyway.

Completely arbitrary. Just like the rest of the law.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    tvblog.png

How difficult is the finger printing to get? For Hazmat I have to make an appointment and go to Frederick during working hours. The only other thing I seem to need is a handgun serial#? I should be concentrating on fully equipping the guns I do have. But a new Sig' keeps calling to me.

Frederick Sheriff's dept behind the MVA near the the airport does them Tuesday through Thursday from 12 or 12:30 until 4:30 or 5 I believe, with no appointment needed. Including paperwork & prints I think most people are in & out within 15-20 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom