• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Yes you can carry one of your wife’s guns. HQL is irrelevant. Of course if your wife has guns and you don’t, turn in your man card immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I met my wife she had exactly one more gun than I did. Now I have many, many more than her. Man card restored.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Just to make it as clear as possible:

The HQL is not required to own or possess a handgun. It is only required to purchase a handgun less than 50 years old. So his lack of an HQL is meaningless.

Since he has his W&C permit, he can get am HQL free of charge just by applying for it. But he only needs it if he wants to buy a handgun.

Meanwhile, it is legal to loan handguns, and that loan can be for an indefinite period. So yes, he can carry one of his wife's guns.
    So, do you need an HQL to buy a handgun in MD if the handgun is more than 50 years old?
    Say someone who is legal to buy a gun and they don't have an HQL or C&R, they want an older Browning Hi-Power 9mm made in 1969, do they need an HQL?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So, do you need an HQL to buy a handgun in MD if the handgun is more than 50 years old?
    Say someone who is legal to buy a gun and they don't have an HQL or C&R, they want an older Browning Hi-Power 9mm made in 1969, do they need an HQL?
    No. You DO NOT need an HQL for C&R eligible guns.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You do not and great choice on the Hi Power!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If both the buyer and seller Maryland residents and the transfer is being done at a state police barracks, just make sure the magazine is not present. The magazine can be transferred on the other side of the famous early colonial boundary line or river.
    IMG_2927.jpeg

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In DC the gun you carry must be registered to you. I thought that was true in MD too but I’ll defer to the other posters who say it isn’t a requirement.
    There is no handgun registered to you in Maryland, only a list of what has been transferred to you. Even if you sell a handgun, it will still appear on the list of firearms transferred to you.
    With that out of the way, there is absolutely no requirement in State Statute that you carry a handgun that you own.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Nope, walk in, fill out the 77R click on the C&R exemption, pay the money, wait 7 days, pick up the Hi-Point Power

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    pre64 don’t try to understand it just memorize it

Ain't that the truth!

I know "pre 64" is significant for collectable Winchester Model 70s and other rifles. Does it have any importance for Hi Powers?

"Curio and Relic" status, and thus exemption from the HQL, is achieved when any gun becomes 50 years old. So it's a rolling status.

All guns made in 1973 or earlier are C&R eligible. Next year, the magic year will be 1974. In 1975, the Marlin 39A my father gave me when I was a teenager will be C&R eligible. Etc.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was speaking to the poster pre64hunter, not about the year 1964.

But 1962 is the changeover year for the Hi Power extractor. The early internal type extractor is rare to find as a replacement part and makes the early guns more suitable as collector's pieces than shooters. Both early and later extractors are known failure parts in high round count HP's, probably the only part I'd recommend to be kept as a spare. Internal extractors are currently available from an aftermarket manufacturer

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nope

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom