Help me pick a .22 air rifle for my Mom.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Mom has had it with deer in her garden. This summer's losses have used up her last bit of patience and now she wants payback. She has asked me to get her an airgun for Christmas. I know precisely dick about air rifles.... So I'm consulting the brain-trust here.

That being said, here are my criteria.

1) .22 cal. Reason, we don't want to kill the deer - or even penetrate hides at shooting distance of 30-60 yards. Just a nice, sharp sting, and a reason to fear people and not to be in her garden. I figure the lower velocity and greater frontal area of a .22 pellet will have less penetration than a .177 ... Seem plausible? Legalities of shooting game animals out of season aside, all I'll say is 1)this is in another state, out in the boonies, where boonie-rules apply, and 2) their prior solution up until a few years ago was to allow the neighbor to kill any deer in their garden, any time of day or night, any time of year. And he did. Dozens worth. But he passed away a couple years ago, and now she needs another solution.

2) Ease of cocking. My Mom is 66. She's in decent shape for an older lady, but she is an older lady. Something that is a chore for a 20 year old guy to cock is going to be impossible for her. And it MUST be a single-stroke spring piston type gun - no multi pumps or pre-charged guns. Those are too complicated for her, and she has said so. The point is to get her something she will use.

3) Noise is NOT a factor, but quieter is better in terms of it being less intimidating to her.

4) Cost - less than $300. I realize spending twice that is possible. If I were getting one for me, maybe I would. But I'm not.

5) Durability/reliability. The gun will NOT see prolonged or hard "field" use - just fired a few times a week from the deck or back yard. Other than that, it will spend most of it's life leaning in a corner next to the back door. But it does need to have sufficient build quality to operate for several years in this manner without maintainace beyond specified lubication. I live 6 hours away. I can't run down the road everytime something is wrong with it.

6) Optic/Scope. She needs this. 10x probably. She understands how a scope works, holdover, windage, elevation and such. If I sight it in, she'll be fine with it and won't mess with it. She just wants the pellet to go where the crosshairs are.

7) Ease of loading. Anything beyond popping a pellet into the breech hole and folding the barrel back up is too complicated. No loaders, nothing using magazines or anything like that. Simple only.

8) Light trigger, or adjustable trigger. Again, it's a strength thing. If the trigger feels like a DAO Sig pistol, she's not going to like it or use it. It needs to be light.

9) "Looks". My Mom would be a Fudd if she were a gun nut. She's not going to like the AR-15 equivalent of an air rifle. A Monte Carlo stock is about as tactical as she gets. A black plastic Monte Carlo is fine, however.

10) Serviceaility. I need a reputable brand with a history and track record of doing repairs in and out of warranty. Not a junk Chinese gun from Tractor Supply that can't be sent back and fixed if it stops working.

I've been looking at a Gamo Whisper 22. It seems to meet all these criteria, but I need other opinions from people who know more than me.

Thanks in advance.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Be careful with a .22 air rifle-- some of them shoot faster than a standard .22, which would definitely penetrate the hide/flesh.... She could end up with legal issues if that's found out....

I'd stick with .177 or even better look for another alternative altogether...

Make her a bottle rocket launcher.........:innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    um.. i wouldnt shoot it w/ 22 air rifle.. she could be in a lot of trouble hurting a deer (if one is found dead w/ a air gun wound)... just get some motion actived water sprinkler.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    BB gun may really make more sense. Could get bad when the .22's penetrate the deer (which I think they will) and they later are shot or die from infection. Really, not likely to come back to her, but I think the BB gun will do the trick and be cheaper.

Also, if it doesn't work you're out $50 or so.

Or, go blast them when hunting season is in! I think that would be my route.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    BB gun may really make more sense. Could get bad when the .22's penetrate the deer (which I think they will) and they later are shot or die from infection. Really, not likely to come back to her, but I think the BB gun will do the trick and be cheaper.

Also, if it doesn't work you're out $50 or so.

Or, go blast them when hunting season is in! I think that would be my route.

I've had some luck keeping a ground hog away from my garden with my childhood Red Ryder. I don't know about deer.

Has anybody here been shot with a BB gun? I haven't had the privilege so I can't speak to how much it stings.

um.. i wouldnt shoot it w/ 22 air rifle.. she could be in a lot of trouble hurting a deer (if one is found dead w/ a air gun wound)... just get some motion actived water sprinkler.

I bought her one this summer called a "Scarecrow". I use one for keeping the heron out of my fishpond.

It doesn't work on deer. Back during the heat wave in July, the deer would purposely set it off so they could get squirted and cooled off!!!!

Not worried about the deer, either. Don't wanna "wound" them, because that would be unneccessarily cruel, but have no problems killing them outright, either. Read the second paragraph of my first post. The neighbor used to shoot deer in their garden day and night, all summer long. Legal? Absolutely not. But they're country folks, and they do what contry folk do. The nearest FishCop is on the other side of the county from them writing tickets to out-of-staters for fishing without a license at a resort lake. No one is watching.

But my Mom doesn't want to use an actual rifle, and she's not strong enough to haul a carcass out of sight either.

So, we're back at airgun.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I bought her one this summer called a "Scarecrow". I use one for keeping the heron out of my fishpond.

It doesn't work on deer. Back during the heat wave in July, the deer would purposely set it off so they could get squirted and cooled off!!!!

wow..smart deer!! :lol2:

read the link ive posted.. have her try the egg and water repellant.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    If you go the air rifle route, then the one I would recommend, and I believe fills most if not all your criteria is the RWS (Dianna) model 34.
    I have had one for years and it works great. It has a lot of power (in .22) and can reliably kill squirrels out to 60yards. I even got a clean chest shot kill on a ground hog at 60+ yards.

As others have already suggested, this may result in a bit more than a sting!

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    1) .22 cal. Reason, we don't want to kill the deer - or even penetrate hides at shooting distance of 30-60 yards.

Airguns are out, then. Unless you take something really weak, you won't be able to guarantee that you do not injure the deer!

Pick a nice slingshot and paintballs or a paintball gun - that should get their attention and you get a nice visual on the hits!

If all else fails, is it in MD? If yes, just have a crossbow shoot at her place, followed by a bbq!

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've had some luck keeping a ground hog away from my garden with my childhood Red Ryder. I don't know about deer.

Has anybody here been shot with a BB gun? I haven't had the privilege so I can't speak to how much it stings.

I've been shot with a BB gun, several times (amazing any of us kids ever lived to grow up... or at least, become adults:lol2:). It all depends what is shooting it -- i.e., what kind of BB gun. Some won't break skin while others will penetrate a deer hide no problem.

Deer are edjucable animals. They will quickly learn that what doesn't kill them can be tolerated if the result is strawberries etc... I do not think you are going to have much luck teaching them with a BB gun.

Among non lethal exclosure methods, if you don't want to try electric fences (they can be persnickety, and not without downsides, but they work, when they're working...) I'd go with the motion activated sprinklers, skyrockets, Propane cannon (motion activated) etc.

Good luck...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Crosman 1377. This is a .177 pellet gun that is easy to pump and each pump let's you determine the power.
    1377C_Pistol.jpg

The 1 pump .22's are too powerful and too hard to pump (30lbs 1 pump).

You might be better served with a paintball gun or airsoft. The bottle rockets, although probably most effective could pose a fire hazard.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    She'll shoot her eye out!!!

I'd go F/A airsoft...Although 60yds sounds pretty far. She could rain down pellets on them. I'd think that'd run them off without much risk of injury.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    She'll shoot her eye out!!!

I'd go F/A airsoft...Although 60yds sounds pretty far. She could rain down pellets on them. I'd think that'd run them off without much risk of injury.

I have seen deer feeding while it was raining birdshot on them at several gun clubs (such as Loch Raven Skeet and Trap) and they hardly flinched. Also seen deer feeding while it was raining golf balls on them at the driving range (such as Pine Ridge) and they hardly flinched. Such is the case when deer invade man's domain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom