• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    These rings are very well made in the old style where they were made from a solid block of steel, the holes bored and then the rings split. They are marked, mated and matched as a set, top and bottoms.
    They fit on dovetail target blocks very precisely like the old Unertl and Fecker.
    They are NOT 22 dovetail rings.
    Redfield made a target scope years ago, the 3200 and a 6400 I think, with the adjustments in the scope. They used these type rings on target blocks sometimes mounted on the barrel. Unertl, Fecker and B&L target scopes used target blocks and external adjusting rings, some had that spring on the tube. These are not Redfield but work the same way. They are very well made and look semi-custom. The screws are American threads 6-40.
    Anybody know who made them and was there another target scope besides the Redfield that used these type rings with target blocks. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpg
      IMG_4196.jpg
      643.9 KB · Views: 44
    • IMG_4197.jpg
      IMG_4197.jpg
      274 KB · Views: 45
    • IMG_4198.jpg
      IMG_4198.jpg
      718.4 KB · Views: 44
    • IMG_4199.jpg
      IMG_4199.jpg
      382.4 KB · Views: 42
    • IMG_4200.jpg
      IMG_4200.jpg
      466.1 KB · Views: 44
    • IMG_4201.jpg
      IMG_4201.jpg
      469.9 KB · Views: 46

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Not much help but I have a pair of them, no maker's id & I've had them since new back in the mid 80's sometime. The hex screws were originals.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I can’t tell if that have posa or smiley/ thumbnail cuts looking from a phone either.
    No they dont, no turn-screws evident either. I never saw a vintage ring designed to work with a block like that that I'm aware of.
    They do not appear to be for a tapered block either and there is a lot of excess material on ether side of the base for some reason
    The post that supports the actual ring looks like a Millett style to me because it is semi faceted and they are two screwed instead of 4 with a convex shape to the top of the ring.
    The excess material at the bottom of the base looks Millett to me also but for the weaver style base just not removed during manufacture. Thats a lot going on for unsprung weight and a target style ring application unless there was an intentional purpose for it somehow I think.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    So, 3/8" dovetail?
    no, the top of the dovetail is about .360" and the bottom is about .345", they fit target blocks perfectly, precision gage fit. The set screw tightens into a notch on the blocks. I've seen Redfield's in this style for the old Redfield 3200 but they're not Redfield. They're machined from a one-piece solid block of steel.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    It's possible, .
    A competition shooting supplier such as Freeland or Sinclair may have offered rings like these things 1960s/70s for the Tasco or Redfield barrel mounted optics 1st made available at that time

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The mystery continues. I sold these rings on eBay for $150, described as I did here.
    The buyer is very happy with them, the quality and perfect fit.
    Although they are what I thought, he doesn't know the brand or history either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom