• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have an AH Fox B grade shotgun that has been in the family for a long time. It was my great grandfathers. I have been having trouble finding a value on it since it isn't in the BBGV or at least nothing matches what I have in that book. I have seen prices range from $1400 to $14,000. I'd like to see what anyone might know here. From what I can see it's a 1916 make in 12ga according to the serial number.

IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1857.JPG
      IMG_1857.JPG
      171.5 KB · Views: 66
    • IMG_1856.JPG
      IMG_1856.JPG
      189.9 KB · Views: 71
    • IMG_1853.JPG
      IMG_1853.JPG
      262.6 KB · Views: 71

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    From what I can see looks to be a very nice unmolested Fox, I'm pretty sure it's an A grade and not a B. Link to Fox Collectors site showing the various grades, they had different engraving depending on year and grades.

Do you have any pictures of the entire gun so I can see stock and butt, also what length barrels? Generally a nice 12 gauge A grade is around 800.00 to 1500.00 unless the factory build card has some unusual features listed. Subgauge Fox shotguns 16 or 20 is where the values really climb, a nice graded 20 gauge can bring 10 to 20,000.00 easily.

Pictures of my restored XE grade, my favorite sporting clays gun.
    IMG_4846.jpeg
    IMG_4847.jpeg
    IMG_4839.jpeg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This is why i've been confused. The markings indicated B grade but the engraving says otherwise. I'll get some more pics.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It has 28" barrels, right is full, left is modified. Lyman ivory beads mid and front. The grip cap may not be original, can't tell. Pachmayr butt pad.

IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4702.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpg
      IMG_4709.jpg
      186.1 KB · Views: 57

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It has 28" barrels, right is full, left is modified. Lyman ivory beads mid and front. The grip cap may not be original, can't tell. Pachmayr butt pad.

View attachment 403723 View attachment 403725 View attachment 403728 View attachment 403729
    View attachment 403724

Thanks for the additional pictures. Looks like it may have been restocked, the checkering is not right for a B grade and looks a little coarse, wood is a little plain for B grade, Fox tended to use finer checkering on graded guns, the pad is much later than the guns time frame, original reproduction pads are available such as the Silvers on mine.

One option for you is to try to obtain the factory build card, they used to be available through the A H Fox Collectors site, Fox would do special orders such as XE checkering on a B grade gun or C grade engraving on B, etc. If the gun was special ordered the factory build card will have the information on it. I'm thinking the B on your receiver is just a factory mistake but I could be wrong.

An example of a factory build card, nothing special on this one, just ordered for stock by the E K Tryon Company in Philadelphia.
    27482 JR.jpeg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks for the additional pictures. Looks like it may have been restocked, the checkering is not right for a B grade and looks a little coarse, wood is a little plain for B grade, Fox tended to use finer checkering on graded guns, the pad is much later than the guns time frame, original reproduction pads are available such as the Silvers on mine.

One option for you is to try to obtain the factory build card, they used to be available through the A H Fox Collectors site, Fox would do special orders such as XE checkering on a B grade gun or C grade engraving on B, etc. If the gun was special ordered the factory build card will have the information on it. I'm thinking the B on your receiver is just a factory mistake but I could be wrong.

An example of a factory build card, nothing special on this one, just ordered for stock by the E K Tryon Company in Philadelphia. View attachment 403816
    Thanks I'll look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom