• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Friend of mine inherited this thing. Looks to be missing a magazine. Bore size seems to indicate it is a 22 of some sort. Has matching markings on parts. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20170113_235054_resized.jpg
      20170113_235054_resized.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 278
    • 20170113_235029_resized.jpg
      20170113_235029_resized.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 275
    • 20170113_234954_resized.jpg
      20170113_234954_resized.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 271
    • 20170113_235022_resized.jpg
      20170113_235022_resized.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 279

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Appears to be a Dutch Mauser.

It doesn't take magazines. It takes clips with the ammo loaded onto them.

The .22 bore is interesting. Training rifle perhaps.

Caliber could be 6.5 Swedish. 6.5 x .0393 = .256 caliber. Very close to .22 caliber in appearance.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's a Dutch M1895 Mannlicher. Not to be confused with the Steyr M1895 Straight-pull bolt action. It should be in 6.5x53r Dutch caliber.

Can you get some more pictures of the whole rifle, the butt stock and the end of the barrel/bayonet lug? That'll help determine which model it is. There's like 30-some different variations of Dutch Mannlichers

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    thanks for the replies

responses in no particular order:
    the bore is small like a 22 so it could be 6.5, I didn't measure anything and there are no caliber markings. trigger works and bolt is smooth.
    there are several nail looking objects in the stock, think you can see 3 in the first pic. they all have a pattern on the head.
    I will try to get an overall pic and end of barrel pic
    so the clip feed is thru the bottom of the trigger guard? I f not what is the large opening for?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    thanks for the replies

the bore is small like a 22 so it could be 6.5, I didn't measure anything and there are no caliber markings. trigger works and bolt is smooth.
    there are several nail looking objects in the stock, think you can see 3 in the first pic. they all have a pattern on the head.
    so the clip feed is thru the bottom of the trigger guard? I f not what is the large opening for?

Mannlicher clips load through the top, and then the empty clip drops out the bottom once you chamber the last cartridge out of it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    thanks for the replies

If you have a .223/5.56 round laying about, the neck measurement is right at .246 dia. By my round and my calipers anyway.

If the round goes into the bore and up to the beginning of the shoulder of the case, dollars to donuts it's a 6.5 cal.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The stock has serious damage.

Pic 3.

Yeesh. I got so hung up on the nail head I didn't even see that serious split by the action. Yowza!

thanks for the replies

I'd try IH8DemLibz's suggestion for bore gauging. You could also slug it if you've got a similar sized lead fishing sinker around and feel comfortable with that process.

Your friend is definitely going to need to re-stock it if he plans on firing it. It'd only going to get worse, and more dangerous, given the type damage it has.

As others have said, clip is en-bloc, kind of like a Garand, you shove it in through the top and it drops out the bottom when it's empty. (Garand kicks it out the top, hence the "ping")

Here's a decent example:

https://youtu.be/xwH1RwIboeY?t=1m5s

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Definitely a Dutch Mannlicher. This one is made in the Netherlands (Hembrug), but some were also made by Steyr. Definitely 6.5x53r, which has very similar brass as .303 British. In fact, a bunch were converted to .303 either during or definitely after WWII by the Indonoesians/Dutch East Indies KNIL forces. I have one that is one of these conversions. Versions in 6.5 and .303 use the same en-bloc clips and have been good shooters in my experience. Neat little gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom