• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Remember...no "straw Man" purchases. If giving to brother make sure transfer is legal and not just "here ya go bro". Don't want to get a visit in the middle of the night. I'd go for the Colt. Good luck!

mdflyer

Nov 19, 2015
    Build it yourself, you know your rifle, you can get exactly what you want..

buy a complete, pay for the whole rifle and all the parts... for example .. Decide you want to change the stock... you already paid for the original stock in the initial purchase then you buy another... double the cost

Build what you want first off..

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017

buy a complete, pay for the whole rifle and all the parts... for example .. Decide you want to change the stock... you already paid for the original stock in the initial purchase then you buy another... double the cost

That's true but throughout the thread me and OP said we really are new to ARs so don't really know what we want yet just something to get our feet wet.
    Remember...no "straw Man" purchases. If giving to brother make sure transfer is legal and not just "here ya go bro". Don't want to get a visit in the middle of the night. I'd go for the Colt. Good luck!
    I'm waiting for OP to get his but I'm thinking I'll do the lwrc for myself and let my brother decide between the colt or windham. He's going to have to add some of his own money for colt lol. As we discussed earlier in the thread he will be making the purchase in his name I'm just giving him the money

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    One more question guys, when I bought my handgun a few years ago, I had to take the safety courses online, where I got a card that enabled me to buy the handgun from my local FFL dealer. Do you know if I need to get a HQL license before I can pick up my AR when it arrives?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    One more question guys, when I bought my handgun a few years ago, I had to take the safety courses online, where I got a card that enabled me to buy the handgun from my local FFL dealer. Do you know if I need to get a HQL license before I can pick up my AR when it arrives?

Handgun Qualification License.
    Not needed for a rifle. If you want to buy a handgun then yes you will need the HQL.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "That's true but throughout the thread me and OP said we really are new to ARs so don't really know what we want yet just something to get our feet wet."

Been there, done that. Still there in some ways. Buy a decent gun at a decent price. All of them up through the Colt will have similar feel, trigger quality and performance. You shoot 100 to 200 rounds through it in each of 3 to 4 range visits. Serious visits, not soda cans at 15 yards. Learn the sights, trigger and how it fits you. Learns its accuracy potential. Then decide what you want to change within the parameters of the arm. Trying to get 600 yard finite accuracy out of a 16" carbine isn't as productive as starting out with a proper longer range rifle. Plus you lose the characteristics of the carbine in the process.

There some serious good bargains out there from Delton, Ruger, DSA, DPMS, and so on. With the Colt you know it is built with proven components...Delton is a military supplier.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Or build what you think you want and/or cheap and replace parts over time and realize all you need is an upper, or barrel or lower and then you have a second AR.

Buy missing part(s). Have second AR.

Realize you can't have just two.

Continue collecting.

:D

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Or build what you think you want and/or cheap and replace parts over time and realize all you need is an upper, or barrel or lower and then you have a second AR.

Continue collecting.

Lol this guy, I haven't been able to see the windham in person. But I was able to hold and see the colt and lwrc..I know colt is pretty much the bar things is set by but that's one ugly AR atleast in the way I like my guns. Yea it's not all about looks but it can definitely help in deciding. Maybe it was just ugly compared to that lwrc. I don't think I can get any other AR, but if I were to get the lwrc I wouldn't start my build for a while

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Continue collecting.

They are like Pringles, yo. :D

Lol this guy, I haven't been able to see the windham in person. But I was able to hold and see the colt and lwrc..I know colt is pretty much the bar things is set by but that's one ugly AR atleast in the way I like my guns. Yea it's not all about looks but it can definitely help in deciding. Maybe it was just ugly compared to that lwrc. I don't think I can get any other AR, but if I were to get the lwrc I wouldn't start my build for a while

You will change your mind on when you want to start your build, once you get an idea of what you want your next AR to be..

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    finally have a tracking number and ETA for the shipment.. should be at my local dealer by next wednesday! i can't wait already... anything else i need to do prior to pickin it up and during pick up?

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    finally have a tracking number and ETA for the shipment.. should be at my local dealer by next wednesday! i can't wait already... anything else i need to do prior to pickin it up and during pick up?

not really, when you go to pick it up, they will do a background check, should be 10-15 minutes tops, sign a few papers and away you go

prior to getting the gun, you might want to take a short trip out of state and pick up some standard capacity 30 round magazines, look online for decent priced ammo and pick some up, I shoot mostly AE 5.56 55 grain, cheap, shoots decent and easy to find. might also want to pick up a case, make sure you have ear and eye protection

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    not really, when you go to pick it up, they will do a background check, should be 10-15 minutes tops, sign a few papers and away you go

prior to getting the gun, you might want to take a short trip out of state and pick up some standard capacity 30 round magazines, look online for decent priced ammo and pick some up, I shoot mostly AE 5.56 55 grain, cheap, shoots decent and easy to find. might also want to pick up a case, make sure you have ear and eye protection

thank you! I was planning to look for a standard 30 round magazine in VA. Do you know a good place? Is there a specific part number for me to look or what? what site would you recommend for a good decent ammo? I have a case picked out already from amazon, Plano all weather tactical 42 inch, and a cleaning kit. thanks for reminding me, i need to buy ear and eye protection!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any AR-15 magazine should work, within reason. There are a few AR-15s that are extremely picky, but I am not aware of the LWRC being one of them. PMAGs generally work well and are inexpensive. Surplus GI aluminum and steel magazines basically work in all AR-15s. I'd go aluminum.

Get a few 10 and or 20 round magazines as well. Using a 30 round mag from the bench or a bipod, especially prone is annoying and gets in the way. Other than combat, competition or firing off hand sitting or standing, 30 rounders are generally just a hassle. Which doesn't mean I don't own more 30rnd mags than 20 or 10, but I have a few of both for the range and hunting.

If yours is a 16" barreled AR, just look at a 36" case if you can. The 42" is oversized. My 42" case fits my 20" AR with buttstock fully extended. With buttstock collapsed it is about 37" long.

Quantico tactical is a good place to look for magazines. IIRC they have 5 for $60 deal for 2nd gen PMAGs or something like that. If possible I'd pick up a couple of a few different manufacturer's magazines to run in your gun just to see if yours happens to be picky with anything.

For ammo, I generally buy mine from Cabela's when they have a free shipping deal and something I like. Then again I also usually am only picking up 200-300rnds at a time seeing what my guns like. Only been an AR owner for a tad under a year now.

I've heard good things about SGAmmo.com and they have $8 shipping and great prices. I just haven't had any orders large enough to make it cheaper than Cabela's with some discounted gift cards an ammo sale and free shipping. Not yet anyway.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Just shot in a new LWRC DI rifles last weekend. Very nice gun. No hiccups. :thumbsup:

It's easier than you think. Any AR for sale in Merryland will be Md legal.

"Any" is a big word. Pretty sure an AR or two can be found on the street for sale in Maryland, and they are not Maryland compliant and the paperwork, or lack thereof, isn't Maryland compliant. A lot of people in Maryland don't even understand that a face to face transfer of an AR is verboten.

Now, any AR at any decent local gun shop will most likely be Maryland compliant. Most likely.

I have no idea what your budget actually is OP, or what your skill level with tools is. Me, I built my first AR and have continued building them since then. Not too complicated if you know how to use a screwdriver, hammer, and wrench, even though I don't think the screwdriver is necessary. Now, if your budget is a little above $1,000, maybe check out an AR from Engage Armament in Rockville (Gude Drive) if you are anywhere close to Rockville. Engage makes some pretty nice rifles.

If your budget is $2,000+, then look at JP Rifles, Les Baer, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Wilson Combat, etc. Pretty sure I missed some of the upper level manufacturers. Personally, I like JP Rifles and Wilson Combat, but they are pricey.

Otherwise, the rest of the group has you covered at the lower end of the budget spectrum.

Don't know if anybody has covered this yet, but one of the mantras on here is "Buy once, cry once."

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    "Any" is a big word. Pretty sure an AR or two can be found on the street for sale in Maryland, and they are not Maryland compliant and the paperwork, or lack thereof, isn't Maryland compliant. A lot of people in Maryland don't even understand that a face to face transfer of an AR is verboten.

Now, any AR at any decent local gun shop will most likely be Maryland compliant. Most likely.

I have no idea what your budget actually is OP, or what your skill level with tools is. Me, I built my first AR and have continued building them since then. Not too complicated if you know how to use a screwdriver, hammer, and wrench, even though I don't think the screwdriver is necessary. Now, if your budget is a little above $1,000, maybe check out an AR from Engage Armament in Rockville (Gude Drive) if you are anywhere close to Rockville. Engage makes some pretty nice rifles.

If your budget is $2,000+, then look at JP Rifles, Les Baer, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Wilson Combat, etc. Pretty sure I missed some of the upper level manufacturers. Personally, I like JP Rifles and Wilson Combat, but they are pricey.

Otherwise, the rest of the group has you covered at the lower end of the budget spectrum.

Don't know if anybody has covered this yet, but one of the mantras on here is "Buy once, cry once."

FTF sales of AR's is absolutely not verboten. If the AR is MD legal, then it can be sold FTF

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    FTF sales of AR's is absolutely not verboten. If the AR is MD legal, then it can be sold FTF

Yes, you are correct. If the AR is a HBAR or heavy 16+" barrel, then it isn't illegal to do a FTF transfer on it without any paperwork. That is why the HBAR has always been cash and carry. If it is a now banned rifle, then it cannot be. My now banned AR is still legal in Maryland, it just isn't legal to transfer it to anybody in Maryland until I pass on to the Promised Land.

I read the rest of the thread and am waiting to hear how the OP's Colt works out for him. Pretty decent gun to start with.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Yes, you are correct. If the AR is a HBAR or heavy 16+" barrel, then it isn't illegal to do a FTF transfer on it without any paperwork. That is why the HBAR has always been cash and carry. If it is a now banned rifle, then it cannot be. My now banned AR is still legal in Maryland, it just isn't legal to transfer it to anybody in Maryland until I pass on to the Promised Land.

I read the rest of the thread and am waiting to hear how the OP's Colt works out for him. Pretty decent gun to start with.

I can't see how he"s gone wrong. I have quite a few ARs, but my 6721 is definately my favorite. I favor it even over preban rifles I own.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I can't see how he"s gone wrong. I have quite a few ARs, but my 6721 is definately my favorite. I favor it even over preban rifles I own.

How many AR rifles out there are actually a POS? Very few of them. I don't hear many horror stories about AR rifles being a complete POS. However, there are things on rifles that I don't care for. The rifles themselves go bang almost all the time, but I hate the trigger pull on my brother's Bushmaster. I hate the handguard on that gun too. Have yet to have it not fire when I pulled the trigger. Then, even if an AR rifle is giving you trouble, the modular design of the rifle usually means the problem can be fixed with a new part or three.

I'm not a big fan of the Colt 6721, but that is because I prefer JP Rifles and Wilson Combat, albeit with a Hyperfire trigger. Can I shoot the 6721? Sure. Will it last longer than me and still shoot? Most likely. Do I like it? Nope, but I wouldn't kick it out of my safe either should I happen to find one in there.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    thank you! I was planning to look for a standard 30 round magazine in VA. Do you know a good place? Is there a specific part number for me to look or what? what site would you recommend for a good decent ammo? I have a case picked out already from amazon, Plano all weather tactical 42 inch, and a cleaning kit. thanks for reminding me, i need to buy ear and eye protection!

The Dulles Expo show is next weekend and it's a great place to buy AR Mags, take a small note book with you to write down where you saw them and the price, or you may not find them again.

A new IP, "DK Firearms", in Va., is running a special on AR and a lot of other mags. for MDS members and offer a buy on line and pick the up at the show deal. I don't need any AR Mags, but I may order some others to pick up there next week.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=211009

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=210370

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom