• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    50 beowolf is about the largest for the AR15 platform .

Lol.. I should of been more specific.. and I should of known someone would of said beowulf.. I kindof meant a farther flying round.. something for distance .. more aerodynamic .. ill probably have to go 300...

These ars are money pits man.. lol..

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    What's everyone's opinion on the AR-10 as a battle rifle ?

Generally piss poor.

They make great DMR and spotter weapons - but most of them - when pushed hard - are not as reliable as an AR-15. That includes those expensive KAC models.

The LaRue and Noveske seem to the exceptions, but there isn't enough data IMHO..

YMMV

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lol.. I should of been more specific.. and I should of known someone would of said beowulf.. [red]I kindof meant a farther flying round.. something for distance .. more aerodynamic[/RED] .. ill probably have to go 300...

The 6.5 Grendel is what you seek. High BC bullets with a reasonable velocity (especially if you're looking at a 20-24" barrel). You can load it with fire-formed 7.62x39 cases.

ETA: the .300 Blackout is a piss poor option for a 'farther flying round'. What it is good at is being suppressed with a 9mm suppressor, and with some bullets having better terminal performance out to 200y compared to 5.56. But 5.56 soundly trumps it for 'long range' accuracy.

Last edited:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Lol.. I should of been more specific.. and I should of known someone would of said beowulf.. I kindof meant a farther flying round.. something for distance .. more aerodynamic .. ill probably have to go 300...

I believe the WSSM rounds will fit in the AR15 length magazine.

rewound

Apr 5, 2013
    I wish I knew of half the crap you guys are talking about...

Guess it's time to do some research!

Oh, and just checked with the FFL dealer I go through: 308 lowers are regulated, complete rifles are not.

chupacabra

Dec 21, 2012
    I think the biggest downfall to the ar10 is it's weight. dpms makes a lightweight upper receiver and lightweight barrels are rare but available. Combine that with a lightweight carrier handguard and stock and the rifle should be well under 8 pounds. I'm trying it now will post when I figure out the completed weight.

chupacabra

Dec 21, 2012
    308 lower.

You can build up from stripped. The bolt catch threaded bolt catch pin, pivot pin, takedown pin are specific to the dpms lower. rest of parts you can use AR lower parts. buffer tube buffers can be a combination of AR carbine tube with short 308 carbine buffer; vltor A5 or AR10 buffer tube with standard ar15 carbine buffer or A1/A2 fixed stock buffer tubes with 308 sized rifle lenght buffers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom