• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    Hello,

Norton gave me the link to this website and I thought I should post this here. Some of you know me from the old www.thefiringline.com and THR as "Soda Pop." I've recently started my own website www.therallypoint.org and am working with sevearl gun clubs in the PA and NJ areas. Over the years I have held dozens of gatherings in PA that have pulled in people from DE, NJ, NY, MD, VA and OH. Since several people in the MD and VA areas have come out I thought I should put the word out that I would be willing to have a Rally Point gathering in the MD area. I usually try and bring in firearm instructors or vendors that are relevent to teaching new shooters and sometimes we have certain themes such as Battlerifles or CCW type guns. We've even had shoots were we all just bring 22LR and have fun without burning a hole in our pockets.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179283 check out some of the pictures and you'll see some of the fun we have.

These are inter-board gathering which include:

www.thefiringline.com
    www.ambackforum.com -www.battlerifles.com
    www.ar15.com
    www.1911forum.com
    www.falfiles.com
    www.akfiles.com

And many more..........

If anyone has suggestions on a gun club that will allow us to have a Rally Point gathering feel free to send the info my way. Several gun clubs have asked me to have these shoot as promos for their clubs. If you know a club that is looking for members... send them my way.

Jamie Young

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hi Jamie,

Glad to see you over here. I hope that if Sannners lake doesn't work out that someone will have a suggestion.

Wish I could make it up on April 29th, but we're out of town that weekend.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Jamie Young said:
    Thanks for the response Lambo.

Do you have a preference with those gun clubs? Which ones are better?
    I just became a member (yesterday in fact) of Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsmen's Assn.. I've been shooting (Trap Leagues/Military Rifle Shoots) there for a couple years. They offer plenty........ CMP Affiliated, Military Rifle Shoots, Cowboy Action Shooting, Trap Shooting, Indoor/Outdoor Archery and for the Youngsters who want to learn how to fish they have a Stocked Pond on Grounds. A Family oriented atmosphere with good, down to earth people at SLCFSA too!
    As to BCG&F, I have a buddy who's a member here. From time to time I'll go there as a guest. A great facility only about 10 miles northeast of Baltimore City. They have Rifle, Handgun, Trap and Archery Ranges. They also have facilities to hold Banquets & Bull Roasts.
    I believe these two above could meet your needs, the others from what I have heard may as well but I couldn't say for sure, never been!

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    Thanks for the detailed info.

I'll want to come down and check out one or two of those places in the near future. If anyone is planning a range day down there let me know, I'll bring a few guns and check the place out. Can I get in without becoming a member at any of those ranges?

Jamie

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Jamie Young said:
    Thanks for the detailed info.

I'll want to come down and check out one or two of those places in the near future. If anyone is planning a range day down there let me know, I'll bring a few guns and check the place out. Can I get in without becoming a member at any of those ranges?

Jamie
    SLCFSA.......Yes, Trap Range on Tuesdays & CMP Style Military Rifle Shoots are open to the Public
    BCG&F........yes, Trap Range on Thursdays & Military Rifle Target Shoots are open to the Public
    I can't say as to the others that I've listed!
    See all Web-sights for detailed Info!

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Welcome to the forum, Jamie! :beer:

The only range that I am familiar with is Sanner's Lake down in Southern Maryland. I think Norton forwarded you a few pictures that I sent to him. I think the only real problem with Sanner's in regard to your purpose is that it is located in Southern Maryland on a peninsula. It is not very accessible to the rest of the state, so I'm not sure how many people would make the drive. If you are interested in checking it out I can take you most any time. There are events that are open to the public listed on their website, or I can sign you in as a guest if you don't want to go to a scheduled event.

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    I got the pictures DD214.

Accessibility is key. Can you get to the place without getting caught up in the DC traffic congestion? Where do the majority of the MD Shooters do their blasting?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jamie Young said:
    Where do the majority of the MD Shooters do their blasting?

FWIW, I do my rifle shooting at Elk Neck State Park in Harford County, but it's impossible to really plan anything as it's total open access.

Is anyone a member of Associated Gun Clubs?

How about Berwyn Rod and Gun Club?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Jamie Young said:
    I got the pictures DD214.

Accessibility is key. Can you get to the place without getting caught up in the DC traffic congestion? Where do the majority of the MD Shooters do their blasting?
    Traffic isn't an issue, only location. I could be wrong though. Maybe people wouldn't mind the drive if it is a unique event. Here is the location of Sanner's on a map:

sannersloc.gif

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    To do this right it needs to be appealing to all(Men, Women and Children). Make Food & Beverages + Entertainment for the Kids available! A Seminar or 2 would be a plus along with making some Basic Firearms Training available. Invite a few Firearm Vendors to participate. Think Old Time County Fair!

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    That's how we do it.

TheRallyPoint.org events are geared towards introducing new shooters to the sport and also getting people to network and test stuff out before they buy them. It starts at the friends/family atmosphere first.. and fun is second.

I have to find the locations first, and then I'll start planning the technicalities. All of the guys on the Staff of TRP.org are capable of teaching and training on every level, firearm instructors, kit building ect. I also own a vending company and can bring in sponsors that are relevent to the shoot. We've had Mike Shovel from Corbon come out and do ballistics testing, Eric Rohrbaugh of www.rohrbaughfirearms.com, I'll be able to bring tactical clothing from Woolrich www.woolrichelite.com and probable get www.amback.com to sponsor the event and have giveaways. Even bring out www.jsholsters.com.

We can do it all.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jamie,

If you can get someone to come and talk about AR kits, that would be the cat's meow.

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    Fargo007 is my kit builder. 3hrs is pushing it for some of the PA Staff members. If we could get a little closer it might be better. I'd like to get this to the point where we do it once or twice a year on a regular basis.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Jamie Young said:
    That's how we do it.

TheRallyPoint.org events are geared towards introducing new shooters to the sport and also getting people to network and test stuff out before they buy them. It starts at the friends/family atmosphere first.. and fun is second.

I have to find the locations first, and then I'll start planning the technicalities. All of the guys on the Staff of TRP.org are capable of teaching and training on every level, firearm instructors, kit building ect. I also own a vending company and can bring in sponsors that are relevent to the shoot. We've had Mike Shovel from Corbon come out and do ballistics testing, Eric Rohrbaugh of www.rohrbaughfirearms.com, I'll be able to bring tactical clothing from Woolrich www.woolrichelite.com and probable get www.amback.com to sponsor the event and have giveaways. Even bring out www.jsholsters.com.

We can do it all.

What is your Business? Its good to patronize Friends!:thumbsup:

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    We can always plan a party there and not make it a huge event. It might be a good idea to plan a shoot there and start putting a crew together for planning future events. From my experience, when you blow the whistle loud enough, people come together and help out. The success we've had in PA took years of networking and finding the right people to get the job done. Once you find some dedicated and loyal people, things come together. TheRallyPoint.org was meant to be the "boots on the ground" gun board and I don't think other boards really care about this stuff. I'm tired of the keyboard commando atmosphere that some boards have become. This kind of stuff also helps advertise gun clubs and, from my experiece we actually saved one gun club from going under a few years ago...because of these events.

April is booked May is a possibility for something. One suggestion though.... be real careful about picking dates for these things and make sure there aren't any gun shows going on that weekend.

Being married with a family, I gotta plan ahead and schedule my range time. I'd come down for an informal RallyPoint gathering in MD.. just as a meet and greet.:party29:

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    I just checked a bunch of VA/MD gun show dates and it looks like the first 2 Saturdays in May are a possibility. I'm not sure if I'll be able to book those Saturdays yet, but they are a possibility for a meet/greet Rally Point shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom