• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ocean

Eager to Learn Gun Newbie
    May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    Hey guys (and gals). Great board you have here, I am glad Google let me know of your existence.

I am very (VERY) new to guns, but very eager to learn, ask questions and listen to all the good advice I can get.

The main reason for me coming here for help, is that I have no one in Ocean City, MD (where I live) that knows (or has) guns - with the exception of my stepson's dad, but naturally we are on a "hi - bye" basis.

When I say I am "new", I mean I know nothing about guns. I am 26 (I hope its not too late for me to start). I originally was thinking about getting a gun for self defense of my family and home, but I also want to learn to shoot and handle it properly. Learn about firearms, so I am not a danger myself being a gun owner and user.

The way I was raised, I dont think I will ever be able to hunt. Even just an idea of blasting away a squirrel or a pigeon away for fun does not seem appealing. But I am really excited about going to shooting ranges and learning to plink with a rifle/shotgun/pistol.

So I guess my hopes are for this board:

1. make new online and real life friends :)

2. I really hope I could find some people in my area (Ocean City/Berlin/Salisbury/maybe DE thats close) that would be interested in meeting in person, taking me under a wing, showing me the ropes on the shooting range, help me get started as a new gun owner in general and introducing me to the local shooting community.

3. I hope people on this board could point me in the right direction as far as purchasing a gun, finding local ranges and gun safety classes/shooting classes (I have had really hard time finding all this info online for some reason).

None of this questions are specific (I will make separate threads for that). This is just kind of what I am looking for. I hope I am in the right place, and I hope for a warm welcome :)

As I mentioned, I do live in Ocean City, MD. I would imagine that Ocean City would be one of the top vacation places for MD folks. I happen to work as a rental property manager, so if you guys need some advice as far as on vacation rentals, or plain old "what's a good place to eat crabs" advice from a local, let me know :)

Sorry for a long first post, and thanks for taking your time to read this :)

Best wishes,

Andrei

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    Welcome, Start with taking a safety course, even though you do not hunt, a hunters safety course would be a good start. Check with DNR on where one is. They may be able to help guide you on a range to go to in your area.

Ocean

May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    Wow this is an active board (for it being a relatively small size - around 100 members?).

5 replies in under a minute since post :)

Thank you for a warm welcome, I will be bothering you all with my newbie questions in no time.

Ocean

May 5, 2009
    Ocean City, MD
    or you can start w/ the online course.. its free.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Thanks for the link!

Is there such a thing as a shooting instructor or something? Like a person who will teach you how to shoot/assemble/reload/care for your weapon. I am having a great deal of trouble finding this info online for some reason. I found some police gun course in Salisbury MD, and that is it. There is a great deal of things like that in Baltimore, but thats like a 2.5 hour drive away from me, and with summer approaching, I am clocking 70 hour work weeks right now, so I dont have much time to spare for driving (especially if its a 40 hour course - which is what I am looking for, a course with great attention to detail, theory and practice).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the link!

Is there such a thing as a shooting instructor or something? Like a person who will teach you how to shoot/assemble/reload/care for your weapon. I am having a great deal of trouble finding this info online for some reason. I found some police gun course in Salisbury MD, and that is it. There is a great deal of things like that in Baltimore, but thats like a 2.5 hour drive away from me, and with summer approaching, I am clocking 70 hour work weeks right now, so I dont have much time to spare for driving (especially if its a 40 hour course - which is what I am looking for, a course with great attention to detail, theory and practice).

there's couple members here that are nra instructor certified but dont know anybody close to you though.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Welcome.

First, do you have your C&R yet? :D

YOu will not find a range in OC itself, they have an ordinance banning them from what I understand. HOwever, this is just for city limits and there may be one close to you either a little drive on the other side of the bridge, or up in DE. Delaware is pretty good for gun laws and once you get your handgun you could literally drive North a few miles, cross the state line into Delaware and wear it openly in public legally.
    The only range I know of kinda close to you but still about a half hour or so drive is the range others have already mentioned and that is Delmarva Sporting Clays about ten or fifteen minutes past Salisbury.

YOu have definitely come to the right place for firearms information be it weapons choice, training or gun laws. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.....like asking what the C&R is for instance. ;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    or you can start w/ the online course.. its free.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Thanks for the link!

Please remember to save the information at the end and print up the card so that you do not have to sit through it again when you buy your first handgun in MD.

3rdrcn and some others may be able to help you with training and education on how to shoot the right way. THey might be willing to drive out your direction maybe.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Welcome, Start with taking a safety course, even though you do not hunt, a hunters safety course would be a good start. Check with DNR on where one is. They may be able to help guide you on a range to go to in your area.
    +1:thumbsup:

Information for Hunting Course
    Recommended!

The Maryland Hunter Education Program offers two programs for Independent Study. The Internet Based Course and Home Workbook Course. Both provide an alternative delivery method of the Hunter Education Course.
    Internet Based Course.
    Home Workbook Course.

:deal:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom