Attachments

• GENTLEMEN%20DRINKING%20BEER%20001.jpg
      GENTLEMEN%20DRINKING%20BEER%20001.jpg
      19.5 KB · Views: 122

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Welcome! No need to rush on the postcount, we have plenty of foolishness to keep you busy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Need to get that postcount up!

If you're posting just up your count so you can post in the classifieds, be advised that is the quickest way.

To get you post count set to zero that is.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    I'm in MOCO. Here's an article I wrote for the Silver Spring Voice(OK so it's long...I'm retired!):

Hello Maryland. Can we talk about guns for a minute?

There, I said it. I feel almost like I need to apologize before I’ve written anything.
    Why do I have the opinion that Maryland’s anti-gun sentiment is so strong? I’ve lived in Europe, the Far East the Middle East and many of the United States, so it’s significant to me that I have this opinion of Maryland. But there it is. I feel like someone from my East Silver Spring neighborhood is watching and taking notes as I enter Atlantic Guns on Bonifant St. Do they picture me skulking towards the back of the shop, entering a booth, closing the curtain and depositing a quarter to view the latest handgun?
    So what is it about Maryland’s gun laws that makes me feel like a criminal because I own a gun? I recently completed the NRA’s Range Safety Officer course at the Isaak Walton League of America, Fairfax Chapter. I was conversing with a few of the other Maryland participants and at one point in the conversation they all agreed what a relief it was to cross the “border” into Virginia and be out from under Maryland’s repressive gun laws. The main differences, they explained, in the laws of the two States seems to be that in Virginia, a private citizen has the right to openly carry a firearm and the ability to obtain a concealed carry firearm permit. In Maryland, open carry is illegal for private citizens and obtaining a concealed carry permit is very rare (the advice I received was that one should not even try unless politically connected, because denial is almost certain and it will go on the record that the applicant has been denied a permit, which could, I’m told affect one’s ability to obtain a permit from another State…). So, why the difference between Maryland, Virginia and her other contiguous states? Why is it that if you live in Maryland that you are effectively disarmed?
    What philosophy in and of Maryland politics drives this policy? It might be worth exploring.
    I already know that disarming the public is a standard tactic of repressive governments.
    I have also recently begun to recognize and advocate a principle – that as Americans, we should grow the kind of people that will take responsibility for their actions, regardless of the consequences, motives, or lack of full information. These individuals tend to think before acting, and act decisively from a sound set of ethical principles when necessary.
    Disarming Americans infantilizes them by making them dependent on the Government to solve their problems. Disarming them invites them to find salvation in ever-growing Government power and prevents them from developing into aware, responsible adults. Adults that can make decisions and solve problems on their own, that don’t feel scared and helpless in the face adversity. Adults that will not be satisfied with regulatory agencies running over their lives and rights, and a government that grows more repressive every day.
    We live in Maryland, where the common people are disarmed. I read and hear every day the results of this policy: things like "the government ought to do something about (fill in problem/peeve)" or "we should get help from (fill in elected official)" or, "what does X politician think we should do?", and “there is nothing we can do!” Maryland’s clear and principled commitment to keeping its citizenry unarmed has helped me understand the issue of individual rights at a much more fundamental level than ever before. There are significant costs associated with an increasing role of Government in our lives - Marylanders should strive to understand those costs.
    We should keep to our principles and continue to demand our right to self-defense, which I believe plays a role in our sound personal and political development as Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom