• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just a word of caution to hunters out there. Make sure if you are using a heater in your blind you have a FIRE EXINGUISHER on hand. We had a small incident this morning that could have burned the blind down or worse.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We used 2 in our blind today. Both have tip sensors that will shut the gas off if they are even bumped. I'll have to throw an extinguisher into my bag for our next hunt on Wednesday.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    We used 2 in our blind today. Both have tip sensors that will shut the gas off if they are even bumped. I'll have to throw an extinguisher into my bag for our next hunt on Wednesday.

This one had a tip sensor. The connection between the tank and the heater head either leaked or wasnt properly tightened.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    This one had a tip sensor. The connection between the tank and the heater head either leaked or wasnt properly tightened.

I could see how that would cause a real problem.

What type of blind were you in?

I'm hunting with a guide service, they have ground box blinds. Wooden walls, floor and half roof. The other half of the roof is covered with reeds that are bound together with wire ties. One of my biggest concerns is that the reeds would catch fire if we let the heaters get to close to them or to have one fall onto a heater when we stand to shoot.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    I could see how that would cause a real problem.

What type of blind were you in?

I'm hunting with a guide service, they have ground box blinds. Wooden walls, floor and half roof. The other half of the roof is covered with reeds that are bound together with wire ties. One of my biggest concerns is that the reeds would catch fire if we let the heaters get to close to them or to have one fall onto a heater when we stand to shoot.

We were in a wooden box blind with dry cornstalks all over it. I have never seen people move so fast after the "wooof".

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    This was just a simple box blind with a roof with netting and cor/reeds attached. A few seconds after lighting the heater a ball of flames erupted from around the connection to the tank. It died down and was put put a few minutes latter. The heater is a loss but fortunately it didn't spread to the blind or our gear. Not a great start to the day.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    This was just a simple box blind with a roof with netting and cor/reeds attached. A few seconds after lighting the heater a ball of flames erupted from around the connection to the tank. It died down and was put put a few minutes latter. The heater is a loss but fortunately it didn't spread to the blind or our gear. Not a great start to the day.

But quite funny after the fact.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Glad no one was hurt.

Here's one of the heaters we were using. It's a little to big so it was turned off and on as needed to warm us up.

Attachments

• 20140104_113738.jpg
      20140104_113738.jpg
      103.2 KB · Views: 332

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Glad no one was hurt.

Here's one of the heaters we were using. It's a little to big so it was turned off and on as needed to warm us up.

Yes. No injuries are a good thing. One o the persons in the blind was a kid about 5-7. His father grabbed him one handed by the coveralls and took off like a bat out of hell. I am going to grab an extinguisher from work and leave it in there for the future.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    What? No Microwave, Coffee Maker, or Satellite TV ..... come on guys!

Some of the guys have been known to bring a propane powered coffee maker with them into the blind. I see nothing wrong with staying warm if we can. I also bring my WiFi hotspot and 7" tablet to watch movies, internet and email when the birds aren't flying.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I was just teasing! We've all suffered in a blind w/o heat. I've been up in my climbing tree stand when a storm has moved in, the wind picked up, and the tree started swinging from left to right (wishing I had packed Dramamine). It was already cold. The wind didn't help one bit.

I'm all for making things as comfortable as you can! It looks like you guys have a nice set up.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The blind is one of Tom Dodd's Hunting service blinds on his farm. The heaters belong to the hunters. I'm not sure who had the coffee maker but everyone has talked about it.

mouse4x4

Oct 11, 2009
    Been there done that damn killer weed goes up n flames like a son of a b%$#h let me tell ya

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What? No Microwave, Coffee Maker, or Satellite TV ..... come on guys!

A blind I used to hunt on the West River could hunt 10 people and it had a back room as a kitchen and bathroom. We could fit 3 jon boats under it. That thing was awesome and with the right wind the ducks would swarm it.

Haven't been using a propane heater for a couple years now. However, when I did I used Mr. Heater Big Buddy. Haven't had any issues with it. Guess if I were to hunt with the weather in the teens I would probably break it out again. No clue what I would do if the blind caught on fire. Might have to take the OP's advice on this one and buy an extinguisher for the blind.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    A blind I used to hunt on the West River could hunt 10 people and it had a back room as a kitchen and bathroom. We could fit 3 jon boats under it. That thing was awesome and with the right wind the ducks would swarm it.

Haven't been using a propane heater for a couple years now. However, when I did I used Mr. Heater Big Buddy. Haven't had any issues with it. Guess if I were to hunt with the weather in the teens I would probably break it out again. No clue what I would do if the blind caught on fire. Might have to take the OP's advice on this one and buy an extinguisher for the blind.
    I have a Mr. Heater Big Buddy. I've used it in a blind and also in a 'hunters cabin'. I took it with me when I took my daughter hunting in a ground blind on a MD 'youth hunting' day. She thought it was totally unnecessary, until we sat for a few minutes and then she got cold. Keeping warm is essential! People may laugh at me when I get up in my self climbing tree stand and then haul up an outdated and discontinued tree stand 'insulated blind'. It's called 'hunting' not 'killing': make yourself comfortable. The majority of time is spent waiting and being prepared to kill something should the chance present itself.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    I went geese and duck hunting in Canada last year,all we got was these warming pads that peel and stick wherever you placed them on your body and laying in a blind on the cold frozen ground.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Heater are for women and kids. If somebody wants to bring one to the blind I say no and to "suck it up buttercup"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom