• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    1698084414580-jpeg.437270

I use these as well and have for ages, also use them for skeet and trap. They are comfortable and you can have a conversation. there is a baffle that shuts down when there is a sharp report. Have a bunch of pairs in my blind bag for ducks and in my range bags too.
    I dont think they are adequate for rifle range though

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore

I use these as well and have for ages, also use them for skeet and trap. They are comfortable and you can have a conversation. there is a baffle that shuts down when there is a sharp report. Have a bunch of pairs in my blind bag for ducks and in my range bags too.
    Agreed, but the request was for hunting.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    It’s pricey, but I have a pair of SonicGuard+ ear molds.

Already lost most of the hearing in my right ear (not shooting sport related), worth protecting the rest of it. I use it mostly for the amplification. Can’t wear the hearing aid during gun season haha.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    none. Hearing is essential to deer hunting. One round isn't enough of a worry to lose that key sense.

I would suggest if you can afford it consider a good in-ear noise cancellation device like the 3M Peltors. They actually amplify ambient nature sounds but block the rifle report. You may actually hear better than without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I had a Mossberg turkey gun one time that would absolutely ring your ears all to heck if you fired it even while sitting on the ground.
    That and I didn’t like how it was always pointed at your feet nearly when you sat next to a tree so I got rid of it.
    It was too short even for the boys to use in that regard when they were off with it all the time so I got rid of it.
    Plenty of turkeys out there but only so many ears and feet.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I used these while hunting with a S&W 29 44 mag., about $13. They muffle sound very slightly but I don't hear well anyway, because of shooting. They block the loud 44 adequately.
    Don't shoot a handgun without hearing protection. If your ears ring then you've done permanent damage to your hearing. I quit handgun hunting years ago because of the noise. I just started again in Maryland with the new straight wall cartridge rule.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Is that right that silencer for ML does not need ATF stamp?
    Yes, cash and carry, no 4473, no stamp. Downsides are that it takes twice as long to reload, you are twice as likely to mess up reloading with buck fever, and I have not been able to get minute of deer accuracy past 50 yards.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is that right that silencer for ML does not need ATF stamp?
    That is correct. But it would need to be permanently attached to the muzzle loader. Just like an air gun can also have an integral suppressor and no NFA.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville

Agreed, but the request was for hunting.

They are what I use for hunting. I am a duck and goose hunter, they are fine in a blind, pit or boat.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Yes, cash and carry, no 4473, no stamp. Downsides are that it takes twice as long to reload, you are twice as likely to mess up reloading with buck fever, and I have not been able to get minute of deer accuracy past 50 yards.
    Oh, it isn't worth it for me then. :sign07:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    none. Hearing is essential to deer hunting. One round isn't enough of a worry to lose that key sense.
    This was my concern for years,, As my hearing was bad enough, I have not heard a deer walking near my stand in years.
    I finally bought a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs for $40 about 5 years ago.
    2 mics and speakers (directional hearing), AND I had turn them up so now I can hear a mouse farting at 20 yards. And they clip and sound over a certain threshold,, love them for hunting and the range - you can hold a conversation at the range with them on and still be protected.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I began hunting when I was 10 yrs old. I hunted anything that had a season in MD. Doves, rabbits, squirrels , deer , waterfowl etc. I probably shot 1000 rounds or more with no hearing protection. I have tinnitus so bad it drives me nuts at times. My dad was old school and hearing loss wasn't even thought as an issue. Man.....I wish I could go back and put something in or over my ears when I began hunting and shooting.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I began hunting when I was 10 yrs old. I hunted anything that had a season in MD. Doves, rabbits, squirrels , deer , waterfowl etc. I probably shot 1000 rounds or more with no hearing protection. I have tinnitus so bad it drives me nuts at times. My dad was old school and hearing loss wasn't even thought as an issue. Man.....I wish I could go back and put something in or over my ears when I began hunting and shooting.
    I hear ya (or maybe not actually) on this. I always used earpro of some sort for “range” type shooting, sighting in, etc... but hunting was always open ears. I don’t recall many instances where it hurt, but there were some that were ear-ringers, depending on the weapon and what the terrain was in the immediate vicinity.

The last 5 or 6 years have been using Walkers Game Ears muffs and have botten used to them but would definitely prefer something better. Need much better directional sound recognition, and really need less constant “hissing”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom