• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    What is everyone doing for hearing protection in the field. I have a 45 cal ml with a brake that has a real bark. Plan to get another can but it’s not in the cards currently. I’ve had the axial ear buds in my cart a few times but they seem to get mixed reviews.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use these. They do not interfere with cheek weld at all.

That’s what I use. When still hunting I wear them. Sitting I leave them out if I have good cover so I can pop them back in. They have a light hiss at normal hearing levels. Just enough to mask he quietest sounds. Maybe the equivalent to a 5-7mph breeze in the woods would be the way I’d describe it. They do work pretty well, just don’t expect perfect hearing.

Rifle hunting I have suppressors so I wear nothing

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I don’t wear anything when hunting. I am starting to rethink it though because my wife has been saying for years I’m hard of hearing.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I wear the Axils with the wire connecting them (non-earbuds). I hunt in the water so the over the ear wire helps me not lose them. 2 seasons in them now. I can turn them up and hear better than normal. Very satisfied with them. I use them at the range too, indoor and outside.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I don’t use anything. Each time I have shot, I can say I didn’t notice the report as anything approaching uncomfortable. Yeah probably does some damage, but at this point in life I can deal with it. Probably did as much damage if not more growing up and playing hard rock on the stereo for hours.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You know what is funny. Water fowl hunting and geese fly in. I shoot three times and never hear the gun go off as i am so focused on shooting. In early season years back I hunted without the plug. five shots and never heard the gun go off. But you know, I tried to shoot the sixth time and I heard the action "click" loud and clearly. :D I think I heard the gun, just like my wife talking.

I mow with ear plugs, I target shoot with ear plugs, but I do not hunt with them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don’t use anything. Each time I have shot, I can say I didn’t notice the report as anything approaching uncomfortable. Yeah probably does some damage, but at this point in life I can deal with it. Probably did as much damage if not more growing up and playing hard rock on the stereo for hours.
    Likely. A lot just depends on the circumstances and how often. If you are taking 1-2 shots from a centerfire rifle or shotgun of reasonable barrel length every year for your life? I doubt you'd do much more than maybe kill your frequency response in that range 5-10%. Maybe not even that much. But I still treasure my hearing, so I do whatever I can to try to protect it. Not so much I'd pass over a deer to put in hearing protection if I couldn't risk the movement or would miss the shot.

Waterfowl hunter with buddies in the blind with you? You'd be an idiot not to be wearing hearing protection.

I remember my first season hunting and I took 4 shots from my Remington 870 and my one ear was ringing slightly at the end of the day and had a nice headache. Half of those I was in ankle deep swamp and that probably made reflected sound worse. It was after that I started realizing I should try to do something to tamp down the sound whenever I can.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Likely. A lot just depends on the circumstances and how often. If you are taking 1-2 shots from a centerfire rifle or shotgun of reasonable barrel length every year for your life? I doubt you'd do much more than maybe kill your frequency response in that range 5-10%. Maybe not even that much. But I still treasure my hearing, so I do whatever I can to try to protect it. Not so much I'd pass over a deer to put in hearing protection if I couldn't risk the movement or would miss the shot.

Waterfowl hunter with buddies in the blind with you? You'd be an idiot not to be wearing hearing protection.

I remember my first season hunting and I took 4 shots from my Remington 870 and my one ear was ringing slightly at the end of the day and had a nice headache. Half of those I was in ankle deep swamp and that probably made reflected sound worse. It was after that I started realizing I should try to do something to tamp down the sound whenever I can.
    Yes you’re correct. I didn’t specify I only deer and to a lessor degree small game hunt. If I were doing waterfowl I’d wear ear pro.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    These.
    perfectly adequate outdoors, allow natural sounds in & only stop high dB ones, (like firing signatures) don't be fooled by the low NRR rating, its for continuous, not pulsed noise. No battery to go flat or corrode pocket-sized too!
    about $10.00 a pair.
    1698084414580.jpeg

CatoctinOutfitters

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Would strongly recommend the Walker's Razor series muffs. Comfortable for wearing for a long period of time and the sound qualify is great. Can literally hear a pin drop either at the range or out in the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom