• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I double up with these. I find the custom molded ones to be much more comfortable for longer wear than the expandable ones. The muffs aren't the most expensive either, but together they make a good set-up. Under $65 total.

Radian earplugs:at Amazon
    282_2.jpg

Leight muffs:at Amazon
    418YiYVdTdL._AA300_.jpg

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Do the folks with sordins have any issues with eye wear? I.E. Oakley flak jacket.

I wear Radars (newer version of the M frame) and I have no problems with wearing sunglasses. I have the Gel inserts so I don't worry about the seal being broken when wearing shades.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    But as soon as I left (after about 90 minutes) I noticed hearing issues. My hearing is slowly returning to normal, but the degradation is still noticeable after 4 hours.

Zed-
    If your hearing isn't back to normal, you might want to go see an ear doc. They can give you some mild steriods that *might* help improve your hearing. The use of steriods is not clinicially proven, but lots of docs are giving them to combat vets and are noting some improvement.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks James, I'm still not back to normal, and I'll mention that to my doctor if my hearing doesn't improve. I have a low level humming that is constant, and a higher level whine that happens when I tighten certain muscles. (For anyone familiar with the classic Star Trek series. It sounds like a phaser set on overload. lol) My doctor said if it isn't back to normal in 2 weeks I should come back for a recheck. I did get the 33dB protectors today. They are much quieter than the 23's, of course; but quite a bit larger as well.
    I just can't believe that I have this kind of an issue after 90 minutes at a range with hearing protection on. I have friends who have gone to more concerts than I can count, and I know they were subjected to very similar levels of sound, dB wise, with no protection, and no long term effects. I suppose the impulse nature of the gunshots has a more detrimental effect than similar levels of loud music.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I use the Peltor 97039 Tactical 7S Hearing Protector with 24db nrr and then double plug with foamies. Makes it very hard to hear commands, but pretty much the only kind of way to go if you want to have any hearing left, especially when shooting under an overhang with a bunch of other people.

2M10

Jan 14, 2010
    Could be pressure on the other side of the ear. It is flu season. Banging your sinuses on the stock with a little congestion will goof up your ears for a couple of days if you aren't taking something for it. A little Afrin might just clear it up.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Received my MSA Supreme Pro X electronic muffs and I have to say I'm impressed.
    They make my other muffs seem positively prehistoric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom