• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018
    How much damage would it do to your hearing if you carry and had to draw your 9mm and use it in an emergency situation?.I know you have to draw but just curious if it would ruin your hearing.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    How much damage would it do to your hearing if you carry and had to draw your 9mm and use it in an emergency situation?.I know you have to draw but just curious if it would ruin your hearing.
    It hurts. I have fired weapons in both open and enclosed areas without ear pro. Not fun or enjoyable. With that obvious info out of the way, I suggest shooting without ear pro for a few rounds at least once a year (yes I know I will be roasted for saying that).

Hearing damage is cumulative. I'd rather have that than be dead. Just my opinion.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Yeah, makes it obvious those writers in Hollywood have no clue about firing off a round or more in a building, then having that same person 'hear' a noise upstairs or in another room. No way is that happening without hearing protection.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We just had hearing protection training at work the other day, and they (somewhat surprisingly) briefly discussed shooting. Based on the db vs. nr numbers, we really should be doubling up on ear pro for pretty much everything but .22's and suppressed. :(

I've fired a handful or so of unprotected shots in my lifetime, for a variety of reasons. No way am I doing it again on purpose unless I'm stopping a threat.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I grew up shooting, first time I used hearing protection was the first time I shot at an indoor range. I guess I was about 19.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I grew up shooting, first time I used hearing protection was the first time I shot at an indoor range. I guess I was about 19.

First time I used ear pro was in the Army. Shot everything from .22, shotguns, 243, 270, 300 without ear pro.

A few rounds fired in self defense will leave your ears ringing for a couple of hours, but in very short order any ear pain will be eclipsed by the realization you may have just taken a human life.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A 9mm +P+ inside of a barn is decidedly painful . So much so , that I switched to .45 Colt for my Barn Gun , almost pleasant by comparison .

( Somewhat simplified , this is largely a matter of muzzle pressure levels . )

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    What?

I was at the range last weekend with some friends. We were the only people there and would call for cold range, ears off, etc. At one point one of the guys had announced he was going to shoot again, and I missed it. I was about six feet away when he shot his AR-10. It was loud, but I'm undamaged.

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018
    First time I used ear pro was in the Army. Shot everything from .22, shotguns, 243, 270, 300 without ear pro.

A few rounds fired in self defense will leave your ears ringing for a couple of hours, but in very short order any ear pain will be eclipsed by the realization you may have just taken a human life.
    Good point.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, makes it obvious those writers in Hollywood have no clue about firing off a round or more in a building, then having that same person 'hear' a noise upstairs or in another room. No way is that happening without hearing protection.
    Like shooting in an elevator, or especially a bathroom, and then having a conversation right afterwards, or even whispering with someone. Yea, ok.

Gotta thank Ted Nugent one day for having a huge effect on retaining a lot of my hearing. I had read an interview about ‘79 (I was 14) with him where he mentioned using earplugs. I purchased a set of Norton Sonic 2 earplugs, and got a lot of use out of them through the decades. Still have the originals, and a few replacement sets.

Being a musician, and performing with guys playing through stacks, I kept one in the closer ear. For shooting I often doubled up on muffs and plugs. And been at many concerts where I recognized the damage my ears were taking and tried to minimize that by using the plugs as I felt necessary.

Last edited:

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Wonder how loud the p365 x macro is when shot in an enclosed space... Do comps make pistols louder?
    In my experience, yes.

I've blown both ears, both times, without pro. One, while shooting indoors(it was the repeated firing from the guy next to me). The second time was outdoors as I was near the wrong end of an XM177.

Whenever I shoot a deer with my .44 mag, my ears will ring for a bit. Whenever I shoot a deer with a long gun, I tend to not even notice the gun going off.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Read up on "auditory exclusion". There is controversy, but it is interesting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It hurts. I have fired weapons in both open and enclosed areas without ear pro. Not fun or enjoyable. With that obvious info out of the way, I suggest shooting without ear pro for a few rounds at least once a year (yes I know I will be roasted for saying that).

Hearing damage is cumulative. I'd rather have that than be dead. Just my opinion.
    I wouldn't suggest doing a few rounds a year. But I would suggest at least one shot without ear pro on so you do have an appreciation for how loud it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom