• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Depends - is it at an indoor or outdoor range? How many people in the class? Will there be others at the range shooting larger calibers or rifles?

I always play it safe and double up at an indoor range (muffs and some foam plugs) but at an outdoor range where people are spread out and only 1-2 people shooting at a time then I’ll stick with some electric muffs.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I used to double up but found the custom fitted earplugs are the ONLY way to go. No matter is cutting the grass or shooting indoors/outdoors

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Hearing protection with a minimum NRR of 28 is recommended for indoor ranges. I had worn muffs at indoor ranges. I recently got a set of Axil GS Extreme 2.0’s with Max Protect foam ear tips (30 NRR) and have found them to be comparable to my muffs. While I’m shooting, I turn off the electronic hearing and turn it on for conversation. The added benefit is Bluetooth, so I can hear the phone if I get a call.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I feel like this needs to be posted.

339.jpg

Last edited:

Slumy__57

May 18, 2018
    Hampstead MD
    I wore Walker's electronic muffs for mine. If you're shooting indoors, double up with some regular ear plugs. The shooting portion for my class was outdoors, so I didn't need to. It was definitely nice having the electronic muffs instead of regular ones. Made it a lot easier to hear the instructor as he talked me through the shots. This is what I bought

Amazon Walker's Razor Slim Link

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    You can pick up a decent set of Walkers electronic for under $50, as mentioned above, this is the best option all around, you can hear when you need to. If you want to spend a few dollars more get the rechargeable set. Also as mentioned above, double up if you are shooting indoors.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Do these really work for $30?
    Yup you can pay more for more noise reduction and better electronics, but it'll do for an electronic set that allows you to hear people speaking during shooting things.

Last edited:

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    Thoughts on these?

GLORYFIRE Ear Protection for Shooting Electronic Hearing Protection Noise Cancelling Ear Muffs, Olive Green https://a.co/d/14mkJ8X
    i looked
    on amazon reviews just now. i also saw the same type on youtube review video with a different name. i wouldn't trust my ears to those cheap cans.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I know a lot of people will balk at the cost but hands down I love the Sordin Supreme Pro X with the gel cups.

They are comfortable and have been fine so far shooting handguns outside with others without doubling up on plugs. Indoors, I’d probably add plugs.

My hearing isn’t great. I haven’t been tested since I was a kid but as an adult I can carry on normal conversation just fine but in crowded rooms it’s all a muddy mess. At the range I have always struggled to understand people when BSing with muffs on.

I took a class recently and decided to spring for them so I would be able to hear instructions better. I switch between the shooting and focus mode as needed. The mics are awesome. It’s so natural sounding and you can easily tell the direction of the source. It’s a piece of gear I wish I had bought years ago.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I bought Howard Leight muffs from Amazon a few years ago. Noise canceling, adjustable volume control so you can hear what's going on around you. Not pricey; I think at the time they were around 40 bucks.

They work fine, and are an order of magnitude better than just plain muffs. I've used them in indoor ranges with multiple shooters, and my hearing is no worse than it was before. (Which is not saying much, alas.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom