• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    So I'm building my first AR from the ground up and while I understand that most manufacturers nowadays are good about proper head spacing, I still want to ensure it's proper. I'm picking up a white oak 20" 1-in-7 sdm barrel tomorrow from engage and have already purchased a failzero exo complete bcg. Im looking at headspace gauges to purchase since this will not be my last build. I understand how they work as well as how to use them. I also know there is no true head space gauge for 223 wylde, so heres my question.

Im looking at three gauges. A Clymer go and no-go set for .223 rem as well as a forster 5.56 maximum headspace gauge. Will i need anything else? From my understanding, clymers are SAAMI spec and the 5.56 max gauge is SAAMI spec as well. Thanks in advance.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Those 3 will cover your needs. Good thinking regarding the gauges. ARs do fail headspace and every person who owns one should at a minimum have a 5.56 field gauge.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Go to http://www.mansonreamers.com EXCELLENT tools at a good price. They make a lower cost go/nogo/field set (though I don't have any of those - just their standard ones.)

The Wylde is a 223 & 5.56 capable chamber IIRC? As you stated you might need a 223 go, and a 5.56 no-go. IIRC, the 5.56 no-go is actually longer than a 223 field gauge. I think both GOs are REALLY close to the same size. IIRC, they were so close (tenths) that I only have the 5.56 gauges.

Anyway, you can get everything you need at one stop from Manson.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I actually picked up a set of Clymer gauges and a 556 max range this morning for $75 out the door. Thanks for the help guys.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    This thread got me thinking, always dangerous. I have AR's in .223,5.56 and .308 and bolt guns in .223 and .308. I guess I should get some gauges to be safe but I don't know much about them. Will the same gauges work in both AR and bolt guns. Also what is the difference in Go and Go/No Go ?

Feb 28, 2013
    This thread got me thinking, always dangerous. I have AR's in .223,5.56 and .308 and bolt guns in .223 and .308. I guess I should get some gauges to be safe but I don't know much about them. Will the same gauges work in both AR and bolt guns. Also what is the difference in Go and Go/No Go ?

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the "GO" gauge is the smallest of the set, and they get progressively larger as to simulate headspace wear.

The chamber closing on the "GO" gauge is fine. Closing on the "NO GO" gauge is not.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Think of the 3 gauges as small medium and large.

You want the gun to close on a go, if it does not the the chamber is too short.

If the gun closes on a no-go it can mean it's just not tight or its approaching a fail gauge eventually.

The field gauge is used to determine if the gun is unsafe. If it closes on a field it probably is unsafe to fire, but some people do anyway. You risk a case separation or worse of you fire it when it closes on a field.

Yes the gauges are the same for bolt guns and autos.

You cant just drop in gauges in most guns. You have to remove the extractor and spring loaded ejectors to get a good reading.

Everyone who is a serious shooter should have gauges for their rifles at least.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Think of the 3 gauges as small medium and large.

You want the gun to close on a go, if it does not the the chamber is too short.

If the gun closes on a no-go it can mean it's just not tight or its approaching a fail gauge eventually.

The field gauge is used to determine if the gun is unsafe. If it closes on a field it probably is unsafe to fire, but some people do anyway. You risk a case separation or worse of you fire it when it closes on a field.

Yes the gauges are the same for bolt guns and autos.

You cant just drop in gauges in most guns. You have to remove the extractor and spring loaded ejectors to get a good reading.

Everyone who is a serious shooter should have gauges for their rifles at least.

Something some people forget to do, and some sources overlook that detail in the instructions.

I never really thought about getting gauges, until I went to re-barrel that Savage. I'm a convert now.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    It could be my imagination but I thought I had seen a set gauges with a cut out so the extractor can be left in, or I may just need to take my medicine for the day :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It could be my imagination but I thought I had seen a set gauges with a cut out so the extractor can be left in, or I may just need to take my medicine for the day :D

I didn't say all guns and gauges.

Some gauges are done that way for certain firearms. For instance a military 5.56 field gauge is machined to work with an assembled bolt.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I didn't say all guns and gauges.

Some gauges are done that way for certain firearms. For instance a military 5.56 field gauge is machined to work with an assembled bolt.

Sorry, I wasn't quoting you directly, but thanks for the clarity on that point. I didn't realize that was a distinction on the field gauge.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sorry, I wasn't quoting you directly, but thanks for the clarity on that point. I didn't realize that was a distinction on the field gauge.

Its only for a 5.56 military gauge, not all field gauges. I'm saying there are differences in them depending on the caliber and gun. Its very hard to find a military ,5.56 field gauge, so most people buy the commercial one and disassemble the bolt.

Some mosin gauges are cut to clear the extract or, not all are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom